• Advertisement

best strategic placing of copper in a hybrid

Many metals are despised with superstition. Let’s talk about the endless possibilities. Documentation and academic journals are welcome. Bashing will not be tolerated.

best strategic placing of copper in a hybrid

Postby Mangamahu Moonshine » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:37 am

am slowly working my way towards frankensteining my stainless steel pot still, eventually intend to build a copper dome and gooseneck for it. gotta wait till i got some funds for that though.

until then i was thinking of just putting a length of copper pipe at the end of the condensor for the distillate to just carry on running down until it gets to the jar. kept on thinking about how copper is maybe more important to be in the vapour path, made me wonder if it might be better to just insert a copper sleeve into the SS pipe which makes up the still head, just get it in there with a nice snug fit from the very bottom where the vapour comes in, up to where it branches off to the condensor.

thoughts?

pretty inexpensive experiment one way or another but just thought i ought to ask about it in case.

cheers.
There is no failure, only an increasing gradient in the learning curve. Nothing worth doing comes easy.

Never trust a man who doesn't drink booze or eat pork.
Mangamahu Moonshine

Re: best strategic placing of copper in a hybrid

Postby sugarcreek » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:36 am

I think what you want is copper in your vapor path not your condensate path. If you you have sulfur in your wash/vapor due to stressed fermentation (up your nutes) and it binds to copper on the "downhill" side then you risk having copper compounds (would it be Cu2SO4??) in your spirit. Any opportunity to hang a copper scrubby or two pre-condenser? I'm sure those smarter than I will chime in and correct my Chem 101 mistakes.
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? ~Jack Handey
sugarcreek

Postby just sayin' » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:25 pm

Vapor path for sure. Keep it low, the lowest/first copper scrubbies are the ones that take the biggest hit. The ones at the top stay pretty.
just sayin'

Postby Mangamahu Moonshine » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:46 pm

excellent. sounds like putting a sleeve into the inside of the condenser is the way to go eh.
There is no failure, only an increasing gradient in the learning curve. Nothing worth doing comes easy.

Mangamahu Moonshine

Postby Tracker » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:25 pm

Condenser sleeve will give part vapour contact then distillate contact.
It needs to be in the path from the pot up to the top of the column/dome/gooseneck whatever and a scrubbie will contribute much more exposure than a sleeve.

Cheers.
Tracker

Equipment type: 50 litre keg, SD 2" to 4" torpedo with 2 bubble plates, Dephlegmator, Pot still arm, copper SPP and condenser.(Tracker Stacker Flavour Packer)
Various pot still/thumper configurations.
Bok 2" slant plate for neutral and cleaning up mistakes.

Postby Mangamahu Moonshine » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:40 pm

Tracker wrote:Condenser sleeve will give part vapour contact then distillate contact.
It needs to be in the path from the pot up to the top of the column/dome/gooseneck whatever and a scrubbie will contribute much more exposure than a sleeve.

Cheers.

oh yeah that is the place where it will be. i'm probably not using good words to explain what i mean. on the piece of tubing that comes up from the dome, which goes straight up to the thermometer, and has the actual condenser coming off of it. inside that tube i'm just going to shove/bang a piece of copper pipe to "sleeve" the inside.

taking the whole lid and condenser in to an engineers tomorrow though he said to bring it in and see what we can do as far as frankensteining some sort of alembic type top.

i'm just running a 30L still spirits pot still, its a discontinued model but the alembic dome and condenser that are made for the t500 or whatever it is can apparently fit it; for over a hundred bucks more than what i paid for the still in the first place. fuck that, i'm frankensteining it hahaha. the frankenstill.

Mangamahu Moonshine

Postby Mangamahu Moonshine » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:53 pm

here's a high-tech CAD drawing lol. my still looks a lot like this one only the boiler is nicer/shinier and it has four lever things around it for clamping the lid down rather than what this one has. basically gonna take a piece of copper tubing with that hole cut out so it doesn't block up the condenser, and shove that in.
but may not need to now depending on what this engineer dude has to say. i'm wondering if he might be able to either
A) do me up a reasonably priced copper dome and goose neck
B) do a reasonably priced goose neck which is designed to work with the current dome

or something. i dunno what he's gonna tell me lol.
Attachments
50256.jpg

Mangamahu Moonshine

Postby Mangamahu Moonshine » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:02 am

actually starting to consider an option C which may be an economic stopgap for the time being with the engineer guy; would a boil-ball be a good option? i mainly make single malts, pure corn and bourbon. sometime i do some fruit brandies but very rarely.

i was thinking i can ask him about cutting into the pipe and attaching it as shown, red line to red line and blue to blue. not 100% sure on best size for the ball or anything either but i figure a baseball/grapefruit kind of size maybe.

what do the knowledgable among us think...?
Attachments
50256.jpg

Mangamahu Moonshine

Postby Mangamahu Moonshine » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:12 pm

ok, just got back from talking to the engineer dude. he is looking at plans to do a sort of hexagonal-ish copper boil ball/onion and a copper gooseneck and lyne arm, then put a threaded brass nipple at the end of the lyne arm and thread the condenser i already have so it can be screwed into place.

hopefully he comes back with a reasonable price quote, this sounds like it would be pretty good.

Mangamahu Moonshine

Postby Scout » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:18 pm

just a thought, why not add some copper to the pot via boiling chips of copper? you could take some pre 1983 pennies, clean them really well, put a bend in them and toss them in when your setting up for a run. Or you could use short cutoffs of some copper pipe, that would increase the copper that can touch the pre vapor stage, kind of like a copper pot does.
Just a Cooper and whisky maker
"We love visitors! That's why we live in a secluded cabin deep in the woods"
Scout

Equipment type: 1951 built copper pot still with heater box and thumper. 10 gal copper pot rig for experiments. 10- 3 gal. white oak barrels for aging

Postby Mangamahu Moonshine » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:40 pm

yeah that could be another good way to go, thanks! at the moment i am waiting to hear from the engineer about how much he wants to charge me to build the new still head, and am looking at going in that direction as it's ideal for the main recipes i am producing.

Mangamahu Moonshine

Return to Metals