• Advertisement

Are LHBS failures increasing?

Natural materials such as cotton and natural rawhide fit here. But it could be dough or water too.

Are LHBS failures increasing?

Postby ZeroGee » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:15 pm

For those of us in Cascadia : I just got a notice from Home Brew Heaven in Everett WA that they’re going out of business by the end of the month. The reason? Budweiser/InBev bought up the two largest on-line home brew distributors in the US and dropped the prices to the “can’t compete” level for many local home brew stores.

For those of us north of Seattle, the only full-service, brick-and-mortar store is Northwest Brewers Supply in Burlington WA, http://www.nwbrewers.com, 1-800-460-7095 ~ 1-360-293-0424.

As far as “home brew” north of the border is concerned, pick your recipe, place your order and pick up 6 cases of cans for $130 to $160 CN two weeks later. You don’t need to even get your hands wet.

If I was of a conspiring mind set, I might think… well…

ZG
Age, in and of itself, does not confer wisdom.
Instead, it provides a list of mistakes you hope, profoundly, never to repeat.
ZeroGee

Equipment type: Stone & Nixon all copper 2" offset valve-head LM reflux column with a 60L SS electric boiler.

Re: Are LHBS failures increasing?

Postby just sayin' » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:03 pm

The internet is making it tuff for brick and mortar stores of almost any kind everywhere. Unless they actually sell brick and mortar, maybe...
just sayin'

Postby Pikey » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:18 pm

"6 cases of cans" - is that 72 cans ? @ how many fl oz ?

This does seem to be contra to the "Spirit" of any "home brew" legislation in any country.

AS to the big boyz cuttin gall the profit out of anything with an apparent market - "BOOTS" and many other supermkts did this to us winemakers in the '70's - blew away all the little "home brew " shops for a few years - then just shut it all down. You couldn't buy a demijohn or a cork except on car boot sales for years and years.
Pikey

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:11 am

I just finished doing the Whidbey Island Fair beer-wine-cider judging and information booth, and found out that the Oak Harbor homebrew supply (Whidbey Island Homebrew Supply) sounds like a pretty complete store, with a good grain selection including some fancy malts from Skagit Malting. I just may be there tomorrow morning to check it out (while renewing my drivers license).
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby Kareltje » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:45 pm

WE are the customers! WE have the money in our pockets!
And WE are the ones that favour internetshops in stead of real shops.

Once a well known chemist in my town closed its shop (or rather: the shop of his father). I went down there to buy some of his stock and made a remark about how sorry I was.
He said: "Yes, many people are sorry. But you see: they buy their cheap toothpaste at the Kruidvat and than they come to us for very specialized things. But we can not make a living in that way!"
I could only agree with him.
He became an employee in a plumbing company and seemed quite happy with it.
Kareltje

Postby punkin » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:00 pm

Better than being number four prostitute in all of Kazakhstan i spose.

4th.jpg

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Kareltje » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:36 am

If the cup was given to me by such a nice looking lady I would not mind being the number 100 prostitute!
Kareltje

Return to Miscellaneous