• Advertisement

Storing at high or at drinking strength?

Natural materials such as cotton and natural rawhide fit here. But it could be dough or water too.

Storing at high or at drinking strength?

Postby Kareltje » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:12 pm

I make my products at a high %ABV and store them high too. After diluting to drinking strength (40 %ABV) I let them sit for some days, to lose the sharpness and get some balance.
But a question on another forum made me wonder: is there any difference between the final outcome?
Suppose you store your products a year in bottles at 80 %ABV and dilute them two weeks before consuming
would they taste different from
Dilute your products to 40 %ABV and store these bottles for a year?

Mind you: not storing in casks, but storing in closed bottles.

Has anybody any experience with that?
Kareltje

Re: Storing at high or at drinking strength?

Postby punkin » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:41 pm

I don't store above barrel strength for safety reasons. I know what a little bastard i was when i was a kid and i know how i'd feel if some kids broke into my premises and dared each other to chug some booze. The consequences could be fatal and i never want that on my head.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Bushman » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:37 am

punkin wrote:I don't store above barrel strength for safety reasons. I know what a little bastard i was when i was a kid and i know how i'd feel if some kids broke into my premises and dared each other to chug some booze. The consequences could be fatal and i never want that on my head.

+1 on storage, hadn't thought of the second part of your statement but you bring up a great point.
Bushman

Equipment type: I have a VM still with a 2" column and a keg for a boiler and a 4" CM still that runs on electric heat.

Postby S-Cackalacky » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:49 am

I don't store at 80%, but the stuff I store for aging (60+%) usually stays at that percent until I draw off a bottle for drinking. If/when I make neutral/vodka, I would probably do similar.
S-Cackalacky

Postby vickrockafeller » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:01 am

I've heard recently that it takes some time for the proofing down water to blend back into the spirit, I think many people refer to it as bottle shock. I was told the spirit continues to improve for five weeks, and also needs some oxygen during this time, so you can open and close the bottles from time to time.
vickrockafeller

Postby Kareltje » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:00 am

punkin wrote:I don't store above barrel strength for safety reasons. I know what a little bastard i was when i was a kid and i know how i'd feel if some kids broke into my premises and dared each other to chug some booze. The consequences could be fatal and i never want that on my head.

I know the problem, although I don't have kids around.
I use a special, clumsy kind of bottle for the high strength, different labels and a warning sign.
Kareltje

Postby Y1969 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:25 pm

If you want to store pure ethanol. It should be stored in a glass container in the maximum possible concentration. It is necessary to exclude contact with oxygen in the air. Bottle cork should be made of Teflon or polyethylene. Before storage, I rinse the container with ethanol. When I dilute for vodka, I stand for 4-7 days to form hydrogen bonds between the ethanol molecule and the water molecule. The drink gets soft.
If you want to store drinks like whiskey. They need to be stored in a natural concentration. If the whiskey has just been cooked, pouring it into a glass bottle means ruining it. It is necessary to store at least a month in a wooden barrel. During this time all chemical reactions will pass.
Y1969

Equipment type: packed column

Return to Miscellaneous