• Advertisement

Perlite as a Column packing material

Natural materials such as cotton and natural rawhide fit here. But it could be dough or water too.

Re: Perlite as a Column packing material

Postby Stupid?s » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:44 pm

Would the heat and chemical ingredients in our vapor be able to distroy this structure?
No, it is inert and will not leech micro particles. Heating and cooling it will not cause it to break down or distill itself or evaporate etc.

If so, would be drinking perlit micro particels be harmful?
It is also non toxic, if it happened to find its way into your glass somehow?.

The water in the hygroscopic perlit would add an off taste?

In the MSDS "expanded perlite" has less than 1% water left in its capillaries. I don't think you will be heating it to 1600F+ to release this. The manufacturer heated it this high to create it and it stayed behind, so I doubt we can release it under our conditions.

Don't get mad buddy, it's a good topic, no matter what the final results will be

I'm far from mad, I just don't enjoy being genuinely interested in something and having the # of my posts being analyzed. Furthest thing possible from a real scientific and empirical approach is to point out something as meaningless and unproductive as that.
Stupid?s

Postby Rise-N-Shine » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:10 pm

Stupid?s wrote:

I'm far from mad, I just don't enjoy being genuinely interested in something and having the # of my posts being analyzed.

why the hell would you post a question if you dont want an answer? you ask for advice , you get it, and dont want to use it.
there has been numerous post saying its no good. seems like your hell bent on using it so go ahead. if you want to pack your column with a sponge, good luck to you.
Rise-N-Shine

Equipment type: 15.5 Keg 2" packed column. crossflow , leibig and offset head condensers
propane fired

Postby Rise-N-Shine » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:13 pm

there is plenty surface area on cat litter also. try that
Rise-N-Shine

Equipment type: 15.5 Keg 2" packed column. crossflow , leibig and offset head condensers
propane fired

Postby Azframer » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:19 pm

Rise-N-Shine wrote:
Stupid?s wrote:

I'm far from mad, I just don't enjoy being genuinely interested in something and having the # of my posts being analyzed.

why the hell would you post a question if you dont want an answer? you ask for advice , you get it, and dont want to use it.
there has been numerous post saying its no good. seems like your hell bent on using it so go ahead. if you want to pack your column with a sponge, good luck to you.

Just what I was saying. Was not trying to make anyone mad at all. Am I interested? No not really any more, seen all I needed in comments on it. Here on the ranch we can talk about gathering the cattle all we want but they ain't gonna come in till we saddle up the horse and bring'em in. If you are so set on it, do it and let us know how it works out for you.
Friends call me Rick
Drank all night and I am still thirsty!
But I don't feel like I got to much blood in my alcyhol.
Azframer

Equipment type: 5 Gallon Pot Still, Dash1

Postby Stupid?s » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:26 pm

there has been numerous post saying its no good

Where at with references and actual input? I haven't seen it. Saying one thing as simple as "It's no good" and actually theorizing something with educated earnesty are far apart. Of course any remark like that would be regarded as opinion and thus disregarded.

I actually thought when I joined forums to ask about this topic someone would have heard of it or tried it already. Maybe combined it with scrubbers or messed around somehow with it. I was wrong and now realize its something left open. Sorry to post so much about it, I see where this is going since its all theory and we don't need to go there.
Stupid?s

Postby Rise-N-Shine » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:38 pm

well you can be the first to do it. if it works you'll be famous . they'll probably name the technique after you.

"Stupid column packing"
Rise-N-Shine

propane fired

Postby Stupid?s » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:42 pm

Rise-N-Shine wrote:well you can be the first to do it. if it works you'll be famous . they'll probably name the technique after you.

"Stupid column packing"

That would be hella funny, you coined it I'd just use it. lol.
Stupid?s

Postby Azframer » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:50 pm

I don't think you are looking at the comments made about using this as a packing in a way that you could see what they are really saying about it. You are seeing it as all pro, but most I see from comments are more of the cons. I challenge you to go back though the post and objectively look at the comments and tell me flat out you see more pro than cons.
Friends call me Rick
Drank all night and I am still thirsty!
But I don't feel like I got to much blood in my alcyhol.
Azframer

Equipment type: 5 Gallon Pot Still, Dash1

Postby airhill » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:22 pm

I think you'll find most of the comments had an addendum such as "I'm just guessing because I have not tried it".
Like Tracker I have never seen the larger perlite and as far as I can see the responses were directed to issues raised.

This isn't HD you know :P
In the universe there are no absolutes; only degrees of uncertainty.
airhill

Equipment type: Baby CM
Badly designed LM
4' x 2" Bok
Soon tobe CM?

Postby NineInchNails » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:55 pm

Try it! I'd love to see how it works compares.

I would like to find a packing that you can simply dump into the column in comparison to carefully packing it like mesh. I contacted many manufacturers about making 1,000s of copper springs, but so far it's a no go.

Perlite is interesting stuff. I have a huge bag of perlite in my garage, but its approx 1/8" or so like mentioned earlier.

I'll be using mesh for a while before I try anything different.
NineInchNails

Equipment type: .
3" Stainless VM (5' column)
3" Stainless Pot Still

Postby aquavitae » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:38 pm

Rise-N-Shine wrote:there is plenty surface area on cat litter also. try that

:roflmao:

I've heard the expression "tastes like the cat pissed in it" but I have never interpreted that literally until now :lol:
aquavitae

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous