• Advertisement

Is untreated oak from a wood shop appropriate to use?

Natural materials such as cotton and natural rawhide fit here. But it could be dough or water too.

Is untreated oak from a wood shop appropriate to use?

Postby Ratabilly » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:57 pm

One of my friend owns a furniture making shop and he has a lot of leftover oak lying around. He gave me a few sticks, but somebody told me not to use that wood, it would probably poisonous or some s**t.

The guy that gave me the wood told me it was untreated and (kiln?) dried.

Is there anything else i should know about store bought wood? I don't see a problem if its only been kiln dried, but i don't know much about wood and how its handled before selling it to shops and stores.

Any information would be appreciated,

Thanks!
It aged on the way out of the worm. :mg:
Ratabilly

Equipment type: keg beer stripper, 4 gallon spirit still with 2 gallon thumper, and another 3 gallon pot still lyin' around if anybody's willing to help.

Re: Is untreated oak from a wood shop appropriate to use?

Postby axle1960 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:03 am

Should be good to use. I buy mine at the lumber yard, a couple of feet at a time then cut it into small pieces with a table saw before charring.

I cut my pieces 1/2 X 1 X 6 inches, stuff them into a metal coffee can, cover the top with some tin foil, poke a small hole in it and place in the BBQ until the wood is charred to my liking. Works great for me.
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever.
axle1960

Equipment type: Beer Keg Boiler on Propane, 2" Offset LM & 3" Boka (all stainless), more to be built.

Postby Mud » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:02 am

Can't say how wood is treated for import/export, but locally grown and processed wood should be fine. Pretty much a tree is felled, sawn out into boards or whatever, and stacked. If air-dried it's left outside with some protection from rain. If kiln dried it's put into an enclosure and has heat applied until the moisture is driven off. Sawmills don't tolerate logs with bugs. They are removed from the premises as there is too much risk to other logs and existing stock.

Of course it's only possible to speak in generalities. There are almost certainly odd operations that do things differently. I use wood from my shop because I know where it came from. I wouldn't use wood from a big box store or that was imported.
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby Ratabilly » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:11 am

Right on, thanks a lot... Having a buddy that owns a wood shop is awesome... I can build pretty much all i want in there, we made a nice oak mash paddle the other night... And he always has oak scraps lying around that i can get for free. He likes my end product, so you know, he rubs my back and i rub his. :wink:
Ratabilly

Equipment type: keg beer stripper, 4 gallon spirit still with 2 gallon thumper, and another 3 gallon pot still lyin' around if anybody's willing to help.

Postby punkin » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:15 pm

Needs to be white oak. Not all oak is equal.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby RumBull » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:46 pm

punkin wrote:Needs to be white oak. Not all oak is equal.

I second that. Your friend should be able to tell you if its white. http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2618
RumBull

Equipment type: sankey scotch style pot still

Postby Ratabilly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:48 am

damn from the pictures, what i have here looks like it is red oak. lots of little pinholes in the end grain, you can literally suck through it. Thanks for the link, i wouldn't have know any better.

I'll ask buddy if he has any white oak lying around... Would any other hardwood be good? what about maple, wouldn't that give off nice sweet flavors? If im not mistaking, i think ive heard something about cherry wood too... He's got all kinds of scraps so its free for me to experiment with, i jsut wouldnt want to scrap a gallon of perfectly good likker :doh:
Ratabilly

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:03 am

Ratabilly wrote:damn from the pictures, what i have here looks like it is red oak. lots of little pinholes in the end grain, you can literally suck through it. Thanks for the link, i wouldn't have know any better.

I'll ask buddy if he has any white oak lying around... Would any other hardwood be good? what about maple, wouldn't that give off nice sweet flavors? If im not mistaking, i think ive heard something about cherry wood too... He's got all kinds of scraps so its free for me to experiment with, i jsut wouldnt want to scrap a gallon of perfectly good likker :doh:

I used to swap samples with a guy from New Orleans, and he played with aging in different woods, like pecan, cherry, and (I think) maple. It was very good spirit, but I think I still prefer white oak.

You need to know that new oak can make your spirit harsh pretty quick; used oak from whiskey barrels is lots mellower and easier to control, IMHO.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Return to Miscellaneous