• Advertisement

Coffee filters: a question

Natural materials such as cotton and natural rawhide fit here. But it could be dough or water too.

Coffee filters: a question

Postby Odin » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:58 am

I usually filter thru brown "unbleached" (hope that's spelled correctly!) coffee filters, after aging on wood. Now the mss bought some white bleached coffee filters. Are these suitable or does the bleaching transfer unwanted taste components?

Any experience, thoughts?

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
My Blog on distilling: http://istillblog.wordpress.com/
My Site on distilling: http://www.istill.eu/
Odin

Equipment type: iStill 50, VISION, 250, ...

Re: Coffee filters: a question

Postby Ratabilly » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:19 am

I use them all the time, since I already had a shit load on hand. Never noticed any difference in taste from unfiltered to filtered, but I never tried the brown unbleached ones.

I'm so bad now... I age on chips and they don't make much of a mess in my jars, i don't even bother filtering anymore from the ageing vessel to the bottle.

Now don't get me wrong, if i'd have a dusty brown mess at the bottom of my ageing jars, i would definitely filter it down.
It aged on the way out of the worm. :mg:
Ratabilly

Equipment type: keg beer stripper, 4 gallon spirit still with 2 gallon thumper, and another 3 gallon pot still lyin' around if anybody's willing to help.

Postby Bushman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:19 am

I use whatever I have on hand no problem other than they always seem to plug well before I am done especially with the raspberry liqueurs that have been aging in a cheese cloth. Solved the problem with my vacuum filter set-up.
Bushman

Equipment type: I have a VM still with a 2" column and a keg for a boiler and a 4" CM still that runs on electric heat.

Postby jake_leg » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:39 am

I don't know about alcohol, but white paper makes better coffee. Try pouring boiling water through the filter papers and tasting. Brown filter paper gives more of a cardboardy taste.

Most of the difference between them is actually due to the quantity of residual lignin in the paper fibres which is about 5x greater in the brown filters. Bleaching (typically usually using peroxide) is used to whiten the remaining lignin.

Almost all my alcohol gets left for long periods with chunks of wood in it though, so what's a bit of extra lignin :wink:

Coffee filters are a bit coarse I think, I usually get a fine sediment of charcoal in the bottle. You can get better quality filter paper elsewhere.

I used to have a Buechner funnel for vacuum filtration which would have been the dog's bollocks but I flogged all my lab stuff last year. Schnell had a great idea for making a jumbo Buechner out of 1 1/2 kegs.
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby Squint » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:37 am

I have always used the white filters

when doing a stripping run I put a filter in the funnel inbetween the output and collection jug.

and always filter after ageing when botling also,

have noticed how the colour of the product changes after filtering at bottling
Squint

Equipment type: It's all gone to a new home,

Sad, really Sad I am.

Postby mort4 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:51 am

I use both, haven't noticed a difference. For coffee I rinse the filter with hot water but I don't bother for booze. Maybe time for a side-by-side test here.
Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right
mort4

Equipment type: 2"x50" copper VM, with 8" dixiedrifter reflux coil and SD torpedo.
2" potstill head, 36" liebig product condenser. Propane fired. Three plate SD bubbler.
Member of Hobby Distillers Association

Postby Squint » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:51 pm

[quote="Squint"]I have always used the white filters

when doing a stripping run I put a filter in the funnel inbetween the output and collection jug.

and always filter after ageing when botling also,

have noticed how the colour of the product changes after filtering at bottling[/quote]
this is what I meant by that comment

left jug unfiltered
right jug filtered ( lighter colour )
in front, the dirty coffeee filter ( white )
filtering.jpg
Squint

Equipment type: It's all gone to a new home,

Sad, really Sad I am.

Postby Odin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:20 pm

Yeah! The same here. Filters get so clogged, they hardly let any liquid pass after some time ...

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
My Blog on distilling: http://istillblog.wordpress.com/
My Site on distilling: http://www.istill.eu/
Odin

Equipment type: iStill 50, VISION, 250, ...

Postby Rebel_Yell » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:43 pm

I have always used Webril wipes for my filtering. They seem to catch the smaller stuff better for me. Plus I can get the free...
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Postby prairiepiss » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:58 pm

I have found it harder and harder to find unbleaced filters around here. Everyone use to carry them. Now I only know of one health food type store that sells them. So I just use the white ones.

Hey bushman. How's that filter working for you? It's still on my build list. That I will get to one of these days? :screwy:
prairiepiss

Equipment type: 15.5 gal keg boiler with 2 5500w 220v elements. Now running 220v Stilldragon controller on one element.
30" X 2" Pot Still CM modular combo column.
16" X 3" shotgun condenser 5 1/2" X 11" and 4 1/4" X 11" tubes and built in gin basket.
8" bubble ball addition named Fu Man.

Postby Tangleleg » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:41 pm

I built this specifically for the white coffee filters. I usually put a piece of cloth the shine drops on first, them on through to the filters.
Attachments
filter.jpg
filter.jpg (150.39 KiB) Viewed 7473 times
Tangleleg

Equipment type: 8 gallon pot still, 2 gallon thumper

Postby kenfyoozed » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:47 pm

Squint....

looks much like my setup. I use a large hand "sieve" i think is the term, to hold my filter and pour through it into a glass measuring cup.
Pint, I HATE you!
Don't mind me, I'm just the village idiot.
Craft of Whisky Distilling. I like the pics.-
http://www.distilling.com/PDF/craftbook.pdf
kenfyoozed

Equipment type: Pot stiller

Return to Miscellaneous