• Advertisement

Distillery Business Plan?

Natural materials such as cotton and natural rawhide fit here. But it could be dough or water too.

Distillery Business Plan?

Postby Pop Larkin » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:30 pm

Howdy all

I had a business idea proposed to me by a friend recently. Of course it involves our great hobby & as the tittle implies, I was wondering if anyone had actually sat down & got as far as drawing up an actual business plan for a small micro distillery? Im not talking huge but something that could produce a net yearly income / profit of approx. $75K.
Just thinking out loud right now but wondered if anyone has been down this road & if they would care to share any information they may have found?

JustRealCurious Pop
"It's an old trick but it just might work"
Pop Larkin

Equipment type: 100 cup coffee urn Pot Still with "RumBull" style Scotch Sankey head.

Re: Distillery Business Plan?

Postby mlb68 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:06 pm

Hi Pop
I have looked into starting a micro and a good place to get the information you need is ADI forum they have people from all over kinda like on here dealing with Micro's Some our members on here are also members there and can tell you better than I can, but here's is a link to them.
http://adiforums.com/

mlb68
The fastest way out of a hole is stop digging
mlb68

Equipment type: 4gal pot with double thumper

Postby Ateliervie » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:50 pm

Someone just posted a sample business plan on the ADI site. They copied off a PDF that's available, search for "FifthUnderground.pdf".

I would note that this plan is interesting, however I wouldn't give it a passing grade.
Ateliervie

Postby Harry » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:19 pm

Slainte!
regards Harry
http://distillers.tastylime.net/

Winning the hearts & minds; one post at a time.
(you will be assimilated. resistance is futile.)
Harry

Equipment type: 25 Lt 1500W elec. boiler, 2" x 40" packed column VM, x-flow O/head HX, crimp-path Liebig HX, VM proportioning valve, all in copper.
Various experimental gear.

Postby Ateliervie » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:05 am

Yes, Harry, I know where I downloaded it.
Ateliervie

Postby Pop Larkin » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:44 pm

Excellent !! Thanks Fellers . I will give it a look over.

Like I said, this is all pie in the sky right now but maybe, if all the stars align, who knows what may happen. Than I see VB's gorgeous stills. Wonder if he ships to England ????

PipeDreamer POP
"It's an old trick but it just might work"
Pop Larkin

Equipment type: 100 cup coffee urn Pot Still with "RumBull" style Scotch Sankey head.

Postby vb » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:27 am

that particular plan is being ridiculed on ADI as being very far from reality.
See You Next Tuesday.
vb

Equipment type: yes, and lots of it

Postby Ateliervie » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:33 am

It's kind of a tipoff when they mention how they plan on setting up in West Virginia, but might instead locate the distillery in Russia.
Ateliervie

Postby Idle Hands » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:35 am

I agree that the plan is unrealistic -- low balling the cost and exaggerating the profits. That would even be truer in less distiller friendly states. I've figured a cost of about $100,000 from stills to meeting code to overhead and then there are the laws requiring you to sell to the distributor mafia. A local micro in my state making vodka (which any idiot with a reflux still can make) had to sell it through the state ABC. To keep in on the shelf of the state stores required selling $10,000 worth a year. He got only $2.00 a bottle in return and because the of the competition with the 50 or so other vodka brands, he fell short and it is not even on the shelves.
http://hamptonroads.com/2013/03/distiller-spot-abc-shelves-would-boost-spirits

Better to try in Colorado, Montana, Kentucky, Washington State or California.

Better yet, to keep it a hobby one can truly enjoy.
Idle Hands

Equipment type: Alambic

Postby sugarcreek » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:07 pm

My two partners put together a BP for a full distillery and the cost was much closer to $500,000 for Year 1. This was (roughly) split into $175,000 for still / steam; $10k cooperage, $100,000 20 BBL brewhaus, and about $100,000 for build out which included a tasting room, bonded area, and facilities for retail sales. I forget the exact figures but this is in the ballpark. The prospects for one making ones fortune distilling is a tough one...
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? ~Jack Handey
sugarcreek

Return to Miscellaneous