• Advertisement

Homemade Charcoal

Natural materials such as cotton and natural rawhide fit here. But it could be dough or water too.

Re: Homemade Charcoal

Postby Kapea » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:10 am

Don't put much stock in the mystical powers of crystals (although I did work on Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull).
Kapea

Equipment type: 50mm x 1250mm copper & stainless VM column
50mm copper & stainless pot still
Modular multi-plate 4" bubbler

Postby sasquatch » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:52 am

sasquatch

Postby Kapea » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:13 pm

sasquatch wrote:http://chemistry.stackexchange.com/questions/845/diamond-filtering-is-it-real-or-bogus

Diamonds as filters.
Nano particles.

Peter Mortensen posted this in the forum linked to above:
>>Yes, diamond filters are used. Usually in the filtration of ethanol and water (vodka).All drinkable ethanol must be filtered through specialized carbon filters. So in the thinking that diamonds are formed from compressed carbon, therefore a diamond filter is the extreme sports of filtration. Whether it's better? I don't know, but it is a great marketing tool.<<

:roflmao:

Dang, I been doin' it wrong all this time? I have never once carbon filtered any of my spirits.

Saying activated carbon is very good at adsorption, and it's made of carbon; then, since diamonds are made of carbon too, and they are really valuable, diamond filters are the extreme sports of filtration... :doh:

The fact that activated carbon is NOT compressed is what makes it so good at adsorption. It's the incredible amount of porosity that makes activated carbon "activated".
Kapea

Equipment type: 50mm x 1250mm copper & stainless VM column
50mm copper & stainless pot still
Modular multi-plate 4" bubbler

Postby sasquatch » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:30 pm

I wonder how porous diamond dust is?

Copper in a still makes a cleaner spirit so there is some sort of reaction happening between the two.
There must be some other elements out there that create similar situations.

When I was reading about some people testing the flavour differences between silver filtered and gold and platinum filtered they couldn't tell you what was happening but they did confirm that there were flavour differences. And they said they were for the better.

Any now I started collecting the tiny pieces of charcoal from my wood furnace ash box by screening the ashes.
This should be the cleanest charcoal I can make. Many wheel barrels of wood to get a few cups of charcoal.
I should have another full month of full on furnace use so I hope to have enough for another test run soon.
sasquatch

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous