• Advertisement

Tongue goes a little numb

Natural materials such as cotton and natural rawhide fit here. But it could be dough or water too.

Tongue goes a little numb

Postby Turbobeast » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:33 pm

So I ran 10 gallons of some burbon I let ferment for a few weeks. It was one of those doomed mashes that I just couldn't get to a high abv so I let it sit. When I tasted it off the stil it was some nasty stuff and my tongue went a little numb. It is a brand new still but I boiled it out with vinegar for several hours.
I am letting it air out a little but what's everyone's thoughts. I have about 2/3 of a gallon of some amazing smelling shit tasting burbon. Will letting it decant help? I'll sample tomorrow and report back but I'm curious if anyone else has had that numbness thing.
Turbobeast

Equipment type: 5 gallon copper pot from clawhammer, science, and a brain

Re: Tongue goes a little numb

Postby zedzedtop » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:19 am

I suggest doing another ferment, running it, and seeing how it comes out in comparison.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Re: Tongue goes a little numb

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:46 pm

Turbobeast wrote:I have about 2/3 of a gallon of some amazing smelling shit tasting burbon.

Smelling good, tasting bad, and numbing the tongue? Have you tested that product for Alcohol By Volume (ABV)? If you're drinking, say, 75%ABV, it's possible you could have those experiences.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Re: Tongue goes a little number

Postby Turbobeast » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:31 pm

So I let it decant for about a day and it seems fine. I almost think it mat have been the copper. I started at about 110 proof and proofed it down to about 90 and it's on the oak now. I'm thinking it could just have been an intense copper taste that needed to dissipate. Im going to do 10 gallons of rum next ill look out for the same weird effect.
As always thanks for the responses
Turbobeast

Equipment type: 5 gallon copper pot from clawhammer, science, and a brain

Return to Miscellaneous