• Advertisement

perhaps a forum section on alcoholism would be helpfull

This is the junk yard of topics. For topics that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: perhaps a forum section on alcoholism would be helpfull

Postby Kareltje » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:30 am

John Galt wrote:
Kareltje wrote:I am not sure I understand fully what you are saying, but it is late and I consumed some of my own and someone elses product.

I think that discussing the dangers of one's hobby or profession is always usefull. One of the dangers of our hobby is alcoholism or, the other way round: one of the dangers of alcoholism is making beer, wine or distillate.

Dangers of our hobby are 1) being caught by the government, 2) catching fire, 3) having dying consumers and 4) alcoholism.

There are topics about the dangers 1 up and including 3, so why not having a topic about danger 4?

Back in...and yes, sometimes, I can be hypocritical to my statements (in this case about being out of the discussion), when a completely asinine statement is made.

Point 3 in Kareljte's post is about having dying consumers....

Rebuttal 1: Follow the basic rules we all live by, and consumers do not die (short of a Jimi Hendrix experience). This is a straw-man at best, and is so outrageous that I can't believe it is considered. For me, I would never use a material or component that isn't considered to be capable of the task. So, lead solder is out...for example. Maybe kareljte can speak more openly about the materials he uses to complete his process. I wouldn't drink them based on his posts here an elsewhere.

Ah, you like a reasoning contest.
I have seen several discussions on the use of materials in this and some other forum. Much about the safety and health risks, like the use of solder, brass, copper in the descending path, plastics. And some discussions about compunds in the drinks too: methanol, ethylcarbamate, blue distillate etc. Not all immediately lethal, but in the long run at least harmfull.
The rules we all live by are not enough to prevent some of these dangers, apart from the fact that we do not all live strictly by those rules.
Of course you are a very wise and respectable man, far beyond any standards for us normal people. But here you are talking about things you can not possibly know.

Rebuttal 2: Danger is a real thing when folks deal with highly flammable liquid or gases capable of deflagration under certain conditions. I'm completely open to those topics. (concentration, oxygen supply, igntion source)... Unfortunately, Kareljte assumes that consumers of the products made based on the recommendations of this site pose a significant danger to those around them. To me, I find that offensive beyond discussion. I would never put people I care about in harms way because I was lazy or ignorant. Based upon the ease of the point with K, I'm guessing his liquor tastes metallic, and may cause a degradation of vision, and eventually some sort of Pb poisoning. Most of the rest of us are exponentially more careful.
I see some straw people, some ad hominibus (or ad meum to be more precise) and some authority non-arguments.
And a matter of bad taste.
Should I answer to them?
Rebuttal 3: Alcoholism is not a danger, it is a disease. We do not turn to forums for disease control if we want to live. Go get help, and get the help you need. If you are capable of reading this, you know that the conflation of argments based on one convenient fact very well could result in your death. Get help from a professional. Do not believe the google machine.

for those that think the conflation of danger and disease is useful, there is no cure. I suggest you drink plenty from K's still. Your cure will be inevitable.
Whether alcoholism is a disease, disorder, addiction, hobby, custom or something else is not really the point. The combination of alcoholism and distilling alcohol is a real danger. As would be the combination of cannibalism and surgery. And as opposed to eczema or COPD and distilling.
And some of us (us = we the people who live by the rules :roll: ) think we have something to share about this combination of urge and hobby. It is not a rule you have to live by, but a possibility some of us like to have. Feel free to go and play somewhere else.
Merry Christmas. :) And for those offended...merry something else.

Merry whatever it is. And a happy 2017.
Kareltje

Postby pintoshine » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:47 am

Alright, I put the forums out there. They are not popular. There are no topics to put there from the rest of the forums which makes them unrelated.
This is the weighted measure I use in adding forums. These have filed to make the bar they are coming down.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby manu de hanoi » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:33 am

you expected a Christmas rush or something? Many pple were not even aware of the new forum section , give it 6 months, it takes balls and time to post there like you did.
"Art work" section didnt get a post since 2014 and nobody cares
"music" last post was 5 month ago, and gathered 16 topics over so many years
"continuous" last post was 5 month ago,and gathered 14 topics over so many years

You got many replies to your topic, cmon dont be shy. Plus you dont have to make the forum sections fully public
manu de hanoi

Equipment type: http://www.stainlessstuff.net

Postby manu de hanoi » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:37 am

there 3 topics belonged to the new alcoholism sections and i posted them in the 1 page of this post, here they are again:
http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1687&hilit=alcoholic+anonymous
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=5989&p=86961&hilit=on+the+wagon#p86961
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3705&hilit=on+the+wagon
manu de hanoi

Equipment type: http://www.stainlessstuff.net

Postby pintoshine » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:06 am

Final decision. Dead topic now.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby stillvodka » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:56 am

Good
stillvodka

Postby Kareltje » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:23 pm

I just finished reading these threads. Nice reading about building and reusing a ingenious still.

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=9909
and that leading to:
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=5020

The end of the second thread is interesting for anybody thinking about alcoholism.
Kareltje

Postby brutal » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:55 pm

S-Cackalacky wrote:I thought this was an interesting take on drinking -

I think the reality is that we all take up this "hobby" for our own individual reasons. Some see it as a creative process, while others see it as a means to an end. No matter how you look at it, ethanol is a poison to your body and can seriously fuck you up if you abuse it. Not trying to be preachy - just pointing out the reality of what it is we do.

Holy tits. I wrote this months ago. Months. So enjoy!
brutal

Previous

Return to Off Topic Discussion