• Advertisement

New Keg

This is the junk yard of topics. For topics that don't fit anywhere else.

New Keg

Postby dutchmancreek » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:41 pm

96338FF5-6D55-4DF0-95E0-1CED8BFCFC4A.jpeg

Just picked up a new five gallon oak keg, no. 3 char.
Can’t wait to cure it and fill it.
(Designated as ne'er do well)

"we deal in lead, friend"

Whiskey River take my mind

----------------------------
dutchmancreek

Re: New Keg

Postby minime » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:42 am

I can appreciate the finish you'll get in your keg but personally I'm not willing to part with the angel's share. Staves and glass are the only way for a stingy old prick like me. :idea:
Never save the best for last!
minime

Equipment type: VM enthusiast.

Postby dutchmancreek » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:10 am

Just wanted to do a keg....it’s my first one. Still use the staves and glass while waiting for the finish in the keg.

dutchmancreek

Postby dutchmancreek » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:11 am

The angels share doesn’t amount to much in the grand scheme of things.

dutchmancreek

Postby Copperhead road » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:07 pm

I just got myself 2 x 115L barrels made from NEW OAK the first one has just arrived so following with interest....

What exactly to you mean by curing and what steps are you planning on doing before filling yours ?
is your barrel new oak or made from reconditioned oak ?

Had mine custom made by AP JOHNS COOPERS, that is there brand new logo for distillery spirit barrels so many of you probably have not seen the new logo. For wine they still use original logo.(penfolds “grange hermitage”)
My barrel is American Oak and I selected Shenandoah fine grain to use from the 6 different varieties available.
This one is very heavy toasted but NOT charred.
Attachments
636D99BB-07C0-408C-8070-888814A9C28A.jpeg
my pet is a CCSC copper flute, I feed it corn and it pisses likker like a pony....
Copperhead road

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:07 pm

minime wrote:I can appreciate the finish you'll get in your keg but personally I'm not willing to part with the angel's share. Staves and glass are the only way for a stingy old prick like me. :idea:

What? Now you're me?
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby dutchmancreek » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:27 am

[quote="Copperhead road"
What exactly to you mean by curing and what steps are you planning on doing before filling yours ?
is your barrel new oak or made from reconditioned oak ?
.[/quote]

I filled the keg with warm water, rinsed it out, then refilled it and let it set for a couple of days. Since it didn’t leak, I emptied the water and filled it with 62%.

It’s new oak with a #3 char. I got it from a small local distillery.....their cost and they included it in their shipment so I didn’t pay shipping.

dutchmancreek

Postby Tdick » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:03 pm

dutchmancreek wrote:It’s new oak with a #3 char. I got it from a small local distillery.....their cost and they included it in their shipment so I didn’t pay shipping.

Cool Dutchman.
I wouldn't think a distillery would have a 5 gallon unless it's part of their retailing??
I've seen a few with the "age your own" kits with small barrel + 2 bottles of white dog.
Here's one with a half-gallon "Micro-Barrel".

:offtopic: I've always thought if I could ever go commercial, even with a "small" 100 gallon still, it would be emphasizing something like this while your barrels are aging.
Even one day a week, ie. every Friday night would be "Stilling Night". Invite customers & friends in to watch as "we" run the still, write their names on the bottles or jars to breathe. Then when ready they fill the barrel with "their" whiskey and take it home to age.
When they've aged it to their particular taste, they bring it back on another Friday night, we bottle it with a personalized label and refill with a new run.
I figure if your buddy invites you to a "Boys Night Out" or better, "Girls Night Out" like that, no way in hell you're going to let your Buddy have all the fun!
Some da, some day.
:D
Tdick

Equipment type: Copper 5 gallon pot still with thumper & worm.

Postby dutchmancreek » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:44 am

Tdick wrote:Cool Dutchman.
I wouldn't think a distillery would have a 5 gallon unless it's part of their retailing??
:D

I believe a lot (or most) of small distilleries use 5 and 10 gallon barrels. They have to be able to generate some income that wouldn’t be possible using years of aging in full size barrels.

dutchmancreek

Postby Pa_bon » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:47 pm

Just to throw my $.02 in, I must say I do like the barrel. Don't have any of my own. Got away from glass because I was afraid I could loose some hard work and valuable commodity in a simple accident. Have been using 15 gal stainless keys with a 4" ferrule that I welded to the top in place of the original. This makes removing the lumber much easier. Has been working out well.

Been buying keys from an old guy who cleans out properties for a bank. Every so often he calls me with one or two he picks up from a job he does. He can't return them anywhere and says his scrap yard won't take them so he hustles them on Craigslist for $35 each. I've bought 6 so far.
Overhead the albatross
Hangs motionless upon the air
And deep beneath the rolling waves
In labyrinths of coral caves
An echo of a distant time
Comes willowing across the sand
And everything is green and submarine

Pink Floyd
Pa_bon

Return to Off Topic Discussion