• Advertisement

Heads and hangovers

This is the junk yard of topics. For topics that don't fit anywhere else.

Heads and hangovers

Postby Alchemist75 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:16 pm

Now obviously making a good head cut can get a cleaner spirit flavor wise on a pot still but how about the idea that less heads means less hangover. Is this truly the case? Is it the heads/fores that make for a bad hangover or is this just a myth? Thoughts?
I've been running glass stills for over 20 years now and have no shame in saying so.
Alchemist75

Equipment type: All glass equipment, highly modular borosilicate lab glass. Volumes and configurations vary including a copper packed passive reflux apparatus and a modular glass thumper set up.

Re: Heads and hangovers

Postby Kareltje » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:51 pm

About the hangovers: there was a story in the newspaper about a father farmacologist and a son doctor (or the other way around) that had invented a pill to cure hangovers. It seems quite a success, but the recipe was a secret and other methods seemd to work too.
Eat a lot of fat before drinking.
Drink a glass of water with every drink.
Eat some sugar before you go to sleep.
The son and father had studied literature, but their findings were not given in the article.

One would say that everyone with enough stamina could find their findings too.

I do not drink beer, for it makes me pee too much.
Liqqer makes me drunk too soon.
So I mostly drink wine.
But I never have a hangover.
On the other hand: maybe I think my hangover is the normal state to be. :lol:
Kareltje

Postby Alchemist75 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:03 pm

There is that, maybe I've grown so accustomed to the "day after" that I don't know the difference. I have to say though that I just sprung right up this morning as though I had not had 6 gin and tonics along with 3-4 gimlet shots the night before.
I've been running glass stills for over 20 years now and have no shame in saying so.
Alchemist75

Equipment type: All glass equipment, highly modular borosilicate lab glass. Volumes and configurations vary including a copper packed passive reflux apparatus and a modular glass thumper set up.

Postby S-Cackalacky » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:08 pm

Take some of your good stuff and mix in a goodly amount of heads, get plastered, and see how you feel the next morning. Do the same with only the good stuff. Would seem like an easy thing to prove (yes or no) for yourself.

I would like to give some better input, but I don't drink to get drunk anymore. Got too old and decrepit to tolerate such things.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Pikey » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:09 am

Yes I believe the heads contain some headaches, as do the tails. Nowadays tho' I do tend to retain some heads for teh "alcohol bute" and also some early tails in "scotch " for flavour profile.
Pikey

Postby Alchemist75 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:50 am

Based on what I've read the tails can actually alleviate some of the hangover but it's up for debate. I just know I trim the heads and tails and the next day I feel OK.
Alchemist75

Postby Azframer » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:45 am

I get hammered on the good stuff and all I ever feel is dehydrated like a MF'er, no headaches at all.
Friends call me Rick
Drank all night and I am still thirsty!
But I don't feel like I got to much blood in my alcyhol.
Azframer

Equipment type: 5 Gallon Pot Still, Dash1

Postby Swedish Pride » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:32 pm

I usually get drunk on my wares, never hungover.
On friday i went to a wedding that had a free bar, i drank jameson only and was wishing for death on saturday
Swedish Pride

Postby Pikey » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:32 pm

Swedish Pride wrote:I usually get drunk on my wares, never hungover.
On friday i went to a wedding that had a free bar, i drank jameson only and was wishing for death on saturday

Yes it's not until you get to drink commercial, that you realise just how gentle our stuff is! - Mind you if I have a gut full of Jameson or Bushmills, I'll fight anyone for no reason at all ! - Fine on scotch or rum, but I get that way on commercial gin too ! - "home cooked" - I'm just loving life and burbling quietly - then it's the next day ! :D
Pikey

Postby ElectricEd » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:46 pm

L-Cystein is what you need to reduce the effect of hangovers. You get it at the stores that sell body building supplements.
However, if you are good at separating out the nasty alcohols and tails leaving only ethanol then you won't get a hangover as long as you don't have any fermented dinks (beer, cider, young wine etc) with it.
As uploading PDFs is not allowed, here's a screen grab of the essential bit...
Attachments
L-Cystein.jpg
Tax?
What's that?
ElectricEd

Equipment type: 2 inch BOKA/LM/VM over 8 4x3x4 inch bubble plates + 1 bubble plate under a 4 inch section under the dephlagmator (RC).
2 inch Pot still.
2 inch to 4 inch Gin head.
2 x 1.2 mtre Leibig condensors.
2 inch x 800 mm shotgun condenser.

Postby punkin » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:59 pm

SWIM once said that he used to get more stoned off his homegrown.

Just saying there may be some effect along those lines.

I do agree though that the hangover is different.
Instead of laying on the lounge all day moaning and eating KFC i tend to just be dehydrated and headache but can still go out to the shed and hang off the angle grinder for the day.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Saltbush Bill » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:54 am

Alchemist75 wrote:Is it the heads/fores that make for a bad hangover or is this just a myth?

Personal experience tells me its no myth. After drinking to much of my own booze I feel tired and dehydrated the next day...tired because I stayed up until some stupid hour dribbling shit, having fun and drinking to much. Tired and dehydrated I can get on with life as normal.
Commercial booze I'm not good for anything the next day, like Punkin ..lay around groaning and feeling like crap.
With good cuts I don't think you even end up as dehydrated.
Saltbush Bill

Equipment type: 2 inch pot still 25L boiler. 2 1/2 inch pot still 50L boiler

Postby S-Cackalacky » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:17 am

Maybe the headache comes with the dehydration. Wouldn't it be advisable to drink a lot of water the next day?
S-Cackalacky

Postby dutchmancreek » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:38 am

S-Cackalacky wrote:Maybe the headache comes with the dehydration. Wouldn't it be advisable to drink a lot of water the next day?

I always try to drink water during a drinking session....and my “personal physician” Red, always said to drink a couple bottles of water before you go to bed.

Of course, if you’re sober enough to remember to drink water before bed, you’re probably not drunk enough to need it.
(Designated as ne'er do well)

"we deal in lead, friend"

Whiskey River take my mind

----------------------------
dutchmancreek

Postby Saltbush Bill » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:04 am

dutchmancreek wrote:Of course, if you’re sober enough to remember to drink water before bed, you’re probably not drunk enough to need it

:roflmao:
Saltbush Bill

Equipment type: 2 inch pot still 25L boiler. 2 1/2 inch pot still 50L boiler

Return to Off Topic Discussion