• Advertisement

Flea market finds

This is the junk yard of topics. For topics that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Flea market finds

Postby RedwoodHillBilly » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:31 am

A weak acid bath will work also. It will take longer, and if you leave the part in too long, it will start to attack the metal. But it is a simpler solution for what you are trying to accomplish. I use a lye based e-tank for a one and done, removing old seasoning and rust at once. I can leave the part in it forever without harming anything. Hell, it'll even remove paint if someone has painted the thing. Your choice, good luck and let's see a picture when you get it done.
John Barleycorn must die.
"and little Sir John in the nut brown bowl proved the strongest man at last.
The huntsman he can't hunt the fox, nor so loudly to blow his horn,
and the tinker he can't mend kettle nor pots without a little barleycorn."
RedwoodHillBilly

Postby Saltbush Bill » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:09 pm

S-Cackalacky wrote: I found a lot of references to white distilled vinegar. So far I haven't read about any down side to using the acid solutions.

Vinegar will work but its a bit more costly. As redwood has mentioned below acid products of any kind such as vinegar ,dunder, backset or even molasses and water cant etch into or pit metal if left to long.
As long as you check the item every few days its safe.
S-Cackalacky wrote:SBB, that's the biggest dutch oven I've ever seen. Should be able to feed the whole crew with that thing.

Its bigger than average at 20 inches in diameter, it was made by the Carron foundry in Scotland many years ago. I have one oven that is bigger at 22 inches .....the big ones are rare and hard to find.
Saltbush Bill

Equipment type: 2 inch pot still 25L boiler. 2 1/2 inch pot still 50L boiler

Postby just sayin' » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:36 am

Saltbush, I have to give a big thumbs up on miracle molasses. It is cheap and works like a charm, I have had unbelievable results. It is slow but seems to remove no metal. Worth anyone's time to experiment with it, it stinks, so keep it outside or in the shed.

SC, there is a trick for rusted bolts or fine parts: tincture of iodine. It reduces iron oxide (rust) back to iron over night. A guy that collected steel wheeled tractors told me about it years ago.
just sayin'

Postby S-Cackalacky » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:26 am

OK, so it sounds like molasses is a good candidate for rust removal. I'll Google it and see if I can find more information. Just Sayin', what kind of molasses are you using? Would something like feed grade from Tractor Supply work OK?

About the bolted handle - looks like whoever put it on might have flattened (like a rivet) the end of the bolt to prevent the nut from coming off. I'll probably need to cut it off and buy a replacement. I might try using an angle grinder to remove the flattened part and see if it will break loose after that.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Bushman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:52 am

S-Cackalacky wrote:OK, so it sounds like molasses is a good candidate for rust removal. I'll Google it and see if I can find more information. Just Sayin', what kind of molasses are you using? Would something like feed grade from Tractor Supply work OK?

Was wondering the same thing!
Bushman

Equipment type: I have a VM still with a 2" column and a keg for a boiler and a 4" CM still that runs on electric heat.

Postby RedwoodHillBilly » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:14 pm

There is some info on the main page at castironcollector and in the forums. Feed grade is what most are using. Essentially you are wild fermenting the molasses to get an acidic solution. Backset might be cheaper and easier if you have a run going anyway.
John Barleycorn must die.
"and little Sir John in the nut brown bowl proved the strongest man at last.
The huntsman he can't hunt the fox, nor so loudly to blow his horn,
and the tinker he can't mend kettle nor pots without a little barleycorn."
RedwoodHillBilly

Postby Saltbush Bill » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:07 pm

Redwood is right, Dunder or back set works the same way, These days I only use dunder as that way I get double use out of my molasses...........I make rum from it to begin with....then use the resulting dunder to remover rust. Killing two birds with one stone.
You do need to keep the molasses water mix warm to get it to ferment before it will remove rust.
S-Cackalacky wrote: what kind of molasses are you using?

Feed Grade is fine to use and all I have ever used.
just sayin' wrote: It is slow but seems to remove no metal.

Believe me it will remove metal if left long enough, I once lost a rusty rabbit trap in the bottom of my derusting barrel, was very little of it left after 2-3 months.
In a cold climate electrolysis could well be an easier way to go, I was just trying to supply alternatives.

There are a couple of links here to a cast iron forum where I explained how to use molasses a few years ago
You should be able to view the posts and photos without joining I think, quite a few pages to the post so might take some hunting around to find it all. http://www.aussiecampovenforum.com/cgi- ... 29420513/1
another molasses thread here. http://www.aussiecampovenforum.com/cgi- ... 641160/all
Saltbush Bill

Equipment type: 2 inch pot still 25L boiler. 2 1/2 inch pot still 50L boiler

Postby S-Cackalacky » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:04 pm

Thanks everyone. I'm starting to feel confident that I can get this done. I'll let it sit until I can do some more reading and noodling to figure out which method might be best for me.
S-Cackalacky

Previous

Return to Off Topic Discussion