• Advertisement

Incubating

This is the junk yard of topics. For topics that don't fit anywhere else.

Incubating

Postby jake_leg » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:41 pm

While I was on holiday a fox got my last hen - reached in the cage and swiped its leg from under it, then pulled it out in pieces. I had already decide to try to hatch some chicks and went to a little farm where they had roosters and bought a couple of dozen eggs. I knocked up an incubator yesterday out of a polystyrene cooler, with a low voltage heater (power resistor) controlled by a PID. Hopefully a few of them will be fertile. I had zero success the last time I tried.
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Re: Incubating

Postby Rebel_Yell » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:37 pm

GA quail farm makes an inexpensive incubator..

You sir have a raccoon killing your chickens.
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Postby jake_leg » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:58 pm

You know, I thought the same thing. There was shit all over the place with berry seeds in, plus the way the mesh was bent looked like it had been manipulated. I don't know much about protecting against raccoons, we don't have them where I'm from.

On the other hand a neighbour told me they had seen the fox, and there was evidence of shallow digging. Both predators are present in my area.
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby Rebel_Yell » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:02 pm

Double wire is your best means of protection. Heavy enough that the coon can't break it and far enough away from the birds that they can't reach the flock. I have found through experience that raccoons can breach... 1/4 x 1/4 hardware cloth, wire chicken mesh and woven, plastic based, octogonal meshes when in single layers. We cage our birds so that they are in a cage well out of arms reach of a raccoon.

1/4 inch Hardware cloth with 2x2 woven wire atop from 1 foot below grade and across all the outside to keep them out and the birds safely inside of chicken wire cages out of reach. The 2 x 2 alone will suffice if the birds are caged 6 inches from the outside.. Won't keep snakes and rats out..

I have a 3 foot concrete wall around our birds; atop a concrete slab. We have 16 gauge 1/2 x 1 welded wire around the outside. Birds are housed in either 1 inch square wire or 1/2 x 1 that is elevated waist high. I have not had a raccoon intrusion in more than 11 years. Still have mice and snake problems.

Foxes are welcome on my farm. They lack a prehensile thumb and eat mice and maybe small snakes too..
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Postby jake_leg » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:09 pm

Thanks that's useful to know RY, I have 4"x2" weld mesh and was thinking of doubling up with 1" or 1/2" hardware cloth for the first 24 inches. Based on your advice I might go for the smaller mesh. It's a movable cage with a 6" apron that has kept out diggers so far.

There are some mice but they are not too much of a problem at the moment. No snakes. I would put an electric fence up if it wasn't for next door's kids.
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby rockchucker22 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:47 pm

I just got done setting 2 batches of eggs. My first batch 7 out of 9 hatched and the second 8 out of 9! I used a forced air incubator 99.5 deg and 70-80% humidity. Are you turning your eggs odd amount of times a day at least 3 times?
dancing on wire both ends are on fire
rockchucker22

Postby jake_leg » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:50 am

Congrats on your success! Honestly I find the whole thing really nerve wracking.

I'm also using forced air (PC fan). I'm on day 2 right now. I have set the humidity as high as I can because the eggs were sitting around for a week while I was out of town and already have large air sacs. Tried to calibrate the temperature with a Thermapen but I'm not sure how close I got. I am manually turning the eggs three times a day.
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:57 am

It sounds like you've become a very competent artificial chicken butt. :roflmao:
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby jake_leg » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:38 pm

Consider yourself pecked :P
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby rockchucker22 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:03 pm

jake_leg wrote:Congrats on your success! Honestly I find the whole thing really nerve wracking.

I'm also using forced air (PC fan). I'm on day 2 right now. I have set the humidity as high as I can because the eggs were sitting around for a week while I was out of town and already have large air sacs. Tried to calibrate the temperature with a Thermapen but I'm not sure how close I got. I am manually turning the eggs three times a day.

Temp is really critical 1 deg either way and you'll have problems. My father-in-law raises game birds and lent me his incubator, and showed me all the intricacies. I have another batch ready to set but I currently have too many chickens.
rockchucker22

Postby jake_leg » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:18 am

I used a Thermapen to calibrate the temperature, hope it worked OK.
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby jake_leg » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:58 pm

The calibration was problematic. After a few days I realized that the incubator I had made was much cooler near the walls than in the middle, so the insulation is clearly insufficient. I've likely killed most of the eggs so I'll need to start from scratch, probably.
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby rockchucker22 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:41 pm

Well how is it going? My hen is now sitting on 12 eggs, can't wait to see how that goes. Want to see some pictures of the babies?
rockchucker22

Postby jake_leg » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:21 pm

Yeah, I can't resist good looking chicks.

My own hatch is a bust, but at least I've got the settings on the incubator dialled in now. I'll probably get some more eggs in the next week or so and try again.
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby dad300 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:45 pm

jl...

I have lost a lot of chickens to possum, racoons and fox. Even though I use an electric fence on my coop.
A possum or raccoon will pull them through the cage and try to take them away. A fox will eat them there and kill more than he can eat. Then come back for the fermented extras later.

Fricken owls and hawks too...I love owls and hawks...but damn they will carry a full size chicken away!

The best action I've found is a catch'um live trap!

I won't due poisons, for fear of a dog getting them. And I don't have time to sit and shoot them.

Trap works 24/7 and if you get the neighbors cat, you can release it unharmed.

I bait the trap with peanut butter and when caught, "I take them for a ride."

Best incubator is a momma chicken. Once you get reestablished, let on keep a few eggs every now and then.
dad300

Equipment type: CCVM any size...

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion