• Advertisement

Idle Chat in Threads

This is the junk yard of topics. For topics that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Idle Chat in Threads

Postby mort4 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:02 am

Dubble N. Twist wrote:
mort4 wrote:Hell, I thought I was off-topic at first but then I got sidetracked :roflmao:

TR says PKU. :wink:

Too cryptic for me brother. :D :arrow:
Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right
mort4

Equipment type: 2"x50" copper VM, with 8" dixiedrifter reflux coil and SD torpedo.
2" potstill head, 36" liebig product condenser. Propane fired. Three plate SD bubbler.
Member of Hobby Distillers Association

Re: Idle Chat in Threads

Postby Dubble N. Twist » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:08 pm

mort4 wrote:
Dubble N. Twist wrote:
mort4 wrote:Hell, I thought I was off-topic at first but then I got sidetracked :roflmao:

TR says PKU. :wink:

Too cryptic for me brother. :D :arrow:

Uh huh..
Dubble N. Twist

Equipment type: Pot Still

Re: First run please critique

Postby Case » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:01 am

By larcenous bootleggers do you mean the government? Yeah they poisoned liqour during prohibition to try to discourage the consumption of alcohol.
Case

Equipment type: In process of building a new one.

Postby S-Cackalacky » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:40 pm

+1 - ZB and Case. It's all myth held over from prohibition era misdeeds. The gooberment inavertantly killed thousands by adding methanol to industrial alcohol and NOT telling anyone they did it. I've heard it said that there's more methanol in a jug of orange juice than in a jug of the spirits you make. Be aware also that ethanol is the antidote for methanol poisoning.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Case » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:33 pm

Yup. One major source of prohibition alcohol was stollen industrial alcohol. But they didnt just add methanol. At first they did. But the bootleggers paid their chemists more than the government did. So they were able to remove it. For the most part. So they added a bunch of other stuff like kerosene mercury and a bunch of other stuff. But they didnt inadvertently not tell anyone. They were directed from higher to keep it quiet.

Were there bootleggers that added bad stuff to their haul to stretch it out? Yes. But government tainted far more knowing exactly what would happen and many historians have put forth evidence that they intentionally didnt inform amyone.

I look at it from a logical standpoint. Bootleggers likker kills people. Nipjoints dont want their patrons dying so they look for likker elsewhere. Bootleggers by and large want to provide a product that will be sold.

Smell what Im stepping in?

Anyway. I think we have thourghly derailed this thread. Sorry.
Case

Postby Kareltje » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:47 pm

Case wrote:Yup. One major source of prohibition alcohol was stollen industrial alcohol. But they didnt just add methanol. At first they did. But the bootleggers paid their chemists more than the government did. So they were able to remove it. For the most part.
This is not possible! It is not possible to remove methanol from an alcoholic drink without very difficult or very expensive methods.
So they added a bunch of other stuff like kerosene mercury and a bunch of other stuff. But they didnt inadvertently not tell anyone. They were directed from higher to keep it quiet.

Were there bootleggers that added bad stuff to their haul to stretch it out? Yes. But government tainted far more knowing exactly what would happen and many historians have put forth evidence that they intentionally didnt inform amyone.
Yeah yeah, conspiracye here, conspiracy there, everywhere a conspiracy!
I look at it from a logical standpoint. Bootleggers likker kills people. Nipjoints dont want their patrons dying so they look for likker elsewhere. Bootleggers by and large want to provide a product that will be sold.

Smell what Im stepping in?
Yes, that is clear by now!
Anyway. I think we have thourghly derailed this thread. Sorry.
No, you are not!
Kareltje

Postby Case » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:30 pm

You ever read up on prevaporation?

And ya can cool it with the ad hominem. We can discuss things civilly.
Case

Postby The Baker » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:28 pm

Case wrote:You ever read up on prevaporation?

And ya can cool it with the ad hominem. We can discuss things civilly.

Just in case you, too, are wondering, this from Wikipedia...

Ad hominem short for argumentum ad hominem, is now usually understood as a logical fallacy in which an argument is rebutted by attacking the character, ...

Geoff
The Baker

Equipment type: Pot still

Re: Fermenter / Thumper.

Postby RedwoodHillBilly » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:20 pm

punkin wrote:Just a word of warning for anyone copying the theory/design. While it works well to use the same mashtun/fermenter as a still don't leave the steam wand in there after mashing. Take it out and clean it and reinsert before the distilling step.

The holes of the steam wand will gum up with residue and have the steam generator building excess pressure other wise, don't make my mistake.

No shit :mg:

Ok, now that I got that out of my system, If you read my mash protocol, I don't do steam mashing. I do a simple infusion mash, then ferment in the MFT. The steam wand only goes in when I'm ready to distill.

Perhaps, I should start a new thread that describes my protocol from mashing to distilling that makes this clearer. I'll need to get more pictures to illustrate it.

I'm not giving you grief, I appreciate the warning to anyone who might not have read and understood the entire thread. It's all good.

edit: additional info
John Barleycorn must die.
"and little Sir John in the nut brown bowl proved the strongest man at last.
The huntsman he can't hunt the fox, nor so loudly to blow his horn,
and the tinker he can't mend kettle nor pots without a little barleycorn."
RedwoodHillBilly

Postby punkin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:02 pm

No problem at all. I don't personally understand how you get conversion just mixing corn with hot water, but whatever works for you (just never heard of it working for anyone else).

I warned people copying the design/theory, not your procedure.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby RedwoodHillBilly » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:28 pm

punkin wrote:No problem at all. I don't personally understand how you get conversion just mixing corn with hot water, but whatever works for you (just never heard of it working for anyone else).

I warned people copying the design/theory, not your procedure.

I might suggest that you re-read my procedure earlier in the current thread. viewtopic.php?f=31&t=10016&start=15#p139481

I thought that it was clear that I didn't add the steam wand until I was ready to distill.
RedwoodHillBilly

Postby punkin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:33 pm

I understood youre procedure. What that i wrote made you think I didnt?

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby RedwoodHillBilly » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:39 pm

punkin wrote:I understood youre procedure. What that i wrote made you think I didnt?

When you said "I don't personally understand how you get conversion just mixing corn with hot water, but whatever works for you (just never heard of it working for anyone else)."

If you notice that I add the corn to boiling water and that there is a large thermal mass, it will gelatinize. It takes quite a while to cool to 180°F when I add Hi-temp alpha to convert the starch.

Perhaps you should re-read my procedure a little closer. Maybe I wasn't clear. If so, please let me know what wasn't clear.

Thanks.
RedwoodHillBilly

Postby punkin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:25 pm

Perhaps you should reread all my replies. I am telling you i understand what you are saying perfectly and repeating it or getting me to reread it does not expand my understanding from perfect to another plane.

You've even quoted me above as repeating your procedure.

But whatever grinds your grains, my warning stands for other people who may be following the thread.

punkin

Postby RedwoodHillBilly » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:01 pm

Punkin, If you would be so kind as to clean up this thread, I would appreciate it. I didn't mean to get into a pissing match, but it would be nice to make the thread useful to anyone that comes after. I guess that the point that I was trying to make is that I don't do steam mashing, nor do I recommend it due to the inefficiency. But I understand that you might think that someone reading this might do so.

And, yes cleaning the steam wand (as I have implemented it) is a royal pain, but this design does give good dispersion and seems to stir the mash/slop during the stripping run.

Anyway, it's all good mate.
RedwoodHillBilly

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion