• Advertisement

Burning Man Festival

This is the junk yard of topics. For topics that don't fit anywhere else.

Burning Man Festival

Postby punkin » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:51 pm

I couldn't thionk of anything worse than spending the time with all the hippies and not punching anyone, but it has me intrigued.

http://acidcow.com/pics/15664-burning-man-168-pics.html

Where does all the money come from, there's all these hippies with huge monliths and structures, vehicles, castles and fuck knows what else?
How does it all get there out in the desert? Do they spend six months out there building all that shit and living in the dirt, or do they truck it all in on a fleet of hundreds of semitrailers? Some of that stuff is like 6 stories tall, how do they make it safe to walk around there if it's built by backyarders?

Where is the profit in it? Is it a hobby once a year for rich drug dealers and weirdo business owners and contractors or is it a going concern for businesses who earn hippy money selling to corporate out there's?

I get the idea of it (and i'm glad it's a long way away from those who choose not to participate) i just don't get the logistics and the finances.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Re: Burning Man Festival

Postby zedzedtop » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:55 pm

It costs $300/person or at least it used to. Funny, you've picked up on all the misinformation that circulates amongst those who have not been. I haven't been in quite a long time, but I can assure you it isn't in the least a bunch of hippies selling drugs. It's more of an interactive art show. High-tech in some cases, steam punkish in others, often with lots of flames. A lot of propane gets torched for sure. Heaps of fun, and the creativity astounding. Entry fee goes to toilets which are very well maintained, the rent to the county, some medical provisions, and grants to some of the makers.

One of the coolest large things I saw was this massive cave structure turned dance floor. Built by some Belgians out of reject 1x3s or something like that. Torched the whole thing at the end. That was impressive. We ran a bar the times I attended. Threw a couple of parties and went through a good amount of booze that was paid for by a few pre-party fund raisers before the event. Also I remember this huge black box which was basically a nasa-sized subwoofer. Surely and octave below anything I had heard before. Plenty more awesome parts but many too complicated to describe.

Odd thing is that it is the not-so-into-hippy-type-people who I've taken who've had the best times. Lots of engine freaks. This one group, from Texas I think, had an enormous smoker and gave away whole hog bbq to hundreds of folks. I better stop going on now....
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby punkin » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:12 pm

So, to address any of my questions?

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby zedzedtop » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:29 pm

punkin wrote:I couldn't thionk of anything worse than spending the time with all the hippies and not punching anyone, but it has me intrigued.

http://acidcow.com/pics/15664-burning-man-168-pics.html

Where does all the money come from, there's all these hippies with huge monliths and structures, vehicles, castles and fuck knows what else?

-People mostly spent their own money to build things and truck them out there.

How does it all get there out in the desert?

-You put it on trucks or large rental vans.

Do they spend six months out there building all that shit and living in the dirt, or do they truck it all in on a fleet of hundreds of semitrailers?

-Truck it in. If you have complicated stuff you can go a week or so early to build it. It's pretty cool seeing a whole city getting built around you in a week.

Some of that stuff is like 6 stories tall, how do they make it safe to walk around there if it's built by backyarders?

-Some things are inspected but in general people just do a good job.

Where is the profit in it?

-Don't know. I'm sure the owners/planners make a good chunk though.

Is it a hobby once a year for rich drug dealers and weirdo business owners and contractors or is it a going concern for businesses who earn hippy money selling to corporate out there's?

-No.

I get the idea of it (and i'm glad it's a long way away from those who choose not to participate) i just don't get the logistics and the finances.

-People can do amazing things if they work together and put their minds to it.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

zedzedtop

Postby Smaug » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:32 pm

Many of the kids or groups of kids that participate do have rich parents...fact.

Much of the year is spent planning and building the.......exibits.
Some of the participation is used as a spring board to also promote and expose some of the talent that does attend and participate.

I some how do gather that you would actually embrace much of what goes on Garry. Almost positive you would be inclined to punch someone too.

In true (not) hippie fashion, my niece flew in on a private plane last year.
Smaug

Equipment type: If I'm being honest,,,,the entire StillDragon arsenal

Postby zedzedtop » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:29 pm

When I was going most people there weren't kids. I was though! :)

Hey if you parachute in, it's free!

zedzedtop

Postby okie » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:49 am

I played a festival with my band that had 650,000 people. They weren't hippies. They dressed much the same as those pictures. Yes, they partied and it went on a week
I guess it's an American expression of Freedom most people don't get.
Never Trust a Man That Doesn't Drink
okie

Postby punkin » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:22 pm

Seems you guys have fixated on the hippy thing. Most of my questions are directed at the logistics and the finance of it all. The logistics are what has me stumped not whether they are hippys or not.

Despite being accused of not getting it, I did not judge the idea of it and actually said in the OP that i get the idea of it.

What i asked was
1) How do they get all that stuff there?
2) How do they make sure it's safe for the spectators (i assume that there is insurance and that the company offering it has some requirements)
3) where is the angle financially?

Although i judged the general run of participants and loaded them into stereo types that was not what the post asked to address.

And if anyone says the place is not full of out there's then they are not looking at the same pictures i am.

punkin

Postby FullySilenced » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:42 pm

there are numerous documentaries regarding burning man and a movie or two...

they stage it all bring it in and the when its done they clean it up down to the last coke top and used condom...

nothing is left behind ....
FullySilenced

Postby okie » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:08 am

Sorry Punkin, I couldn't answer those questions as I've never been to any of them. I do know they leave it clean afterward, as FS said.

I had a friend that went one year and he came back toasted. Lots of sun. He loved it.
Never Trust a Man That Doesn't Drink
okie

Postby Bobtuse » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:43 pm

There is a difference between how the festival itself is funded, and how the participants art/toys/etc are funded. The festival itself was a for profit LLC until last year when it switched to a non-profit. (not to be confused with no-profit) The festival finances can be found here for 2013 http://burningman.org/culture/history/b ... ial-chart/

Major expenses are the permit, its on federal land, and the feds look at it as a cash cow.

The infrastructure is built and torn down over a six week period, started this week actually. this consists of roads, major structures,The Man, The Temple and the big art pieces. Next come the theme camps, participant run and funded, can be very large productions. Sound camps etc. then come the basic participant camps.

Yes, there is a ton of shit trucked in both by the festival (several hundred shipping containers worth) and the big art installs.

It starts with bare open desert, and ends that way too, all in about 6-8 weeks. No power out there except tons of gennys the infrastructure sets up an actual power grid. Dual pack gennys on semi trailers 18K Kw?

Financial motivation? the LLC made out fairly well year after year even with all the expenses. participant motivation? There is a culture of giving to the community and putting on a big fuck all spectacular show falls into that. It is amazing the kind of shit you see out there for sure.

I could go on but ill leave it there for the moment.

Oh yeah, safety...Back of your ticket says you accept the fact that you are in a hazardous environment and assume the risk of death. Used to be a lot more likely and meaningful. Its been toned down over the years but there are safety protocol in place for the big dangerous shit.

BoB
Honey, "check to see if my nuts are still there, I can't feel my nuts!"
Bobtuse

Equipment type: 15.5 Gal modified SS keg boiler
Propane
Pot head
48"packed 2" copper VM column

Postby punkin » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:38 pm

Thanks Bob exactly the kind of info i was after. It's pretty amazing judging by the photos.

punkin

Postby Buddy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:10 am

Mama told me to never drink unless I was alone or with somebody.
"It's only for medicinal porpoises."
Buddy

Equipment type: 8 Gallon Hybrid Stainless

Postby Pa_bon » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:06 pm

Will be interesting to see who gets sued over this idiots death. He asked for it and he got it. Should be case closed.
Overhead the albatross
Hangs motionless upon the air
And deep beneath the rolling waves
In labyrinths of coral caves
An echo of a distant time
Comes willowing across the sand
And everything is green and submarine

Pink Floyd
Pa_bon

Postby Pikey » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:42 pm

It never ceases to amaze me why people kill themslves instead of those who drive them to that state of depair :(
Pikey

Return to Off Topic Discussion