• Advertisement

Summer break?

This is the junk yard of topics. For topics that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Summer break?

Postby bbok » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:42 pm

I torched 1 gasket but was getting ready to make pizza and it got away from me at around 700F. Not sure if I should complain about the gasket or the operator
bbok

Postby sugarcreek » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:11 am

just sayin' wrote:Sugar, I am amazed that a top self/high end product like the EGG that is a vessel with an engineered mission to contain fire would be marketed with a flammable gasket!!!

Agreed, it's ridiculous. My guess is that for the vast majority of users felt is fine. This one:

http://amzn.com/B004MNW1TE

is what I replaced it with six or so years ago and never a problem but it's about 3x the cost of felt.
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? ~Jack Handey
sugarcreek

Postby sasquatch » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:06 am

My summer just got a boost.
I got drawn for a buffalo hunt this fall.
Not to often one wish's summer was over.
Could be one of those hunts of a life time.
sasquatch

Postby Pa_bon » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:11 pm

Good for you squash. Send me a chunk. Would love to try it.

Can't hurt to ask.
Overhead the albatross
Hangs motionless upon the air
And deep beneath the rolling waves
In labyrinths of coral caves
An echo of a distant time
Comes willowing across the sand
And everything is green and submarine

Pink Floyd
Pa_bon

Postby just sayin' » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:17 pm

Sugar, that gasket sounds much more dependable that flour paste. Hehehe! Why is that not their OE default seal? Short sighted design?

Squatch, buffalo: bison or water? Bison is good eats and huge. Water buffalo- no idea...
Either way, I hope you bag a BEAST! What are you hunting with? I think my .270 would just piss it off...
just sayin'

Postby sasquatch » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:08 pm

Bison in northern BC.
I was thinking of scoping the 454 marlin for this hunt.
But I do love my 306 semi.

Also at that time its open season on white tail any buck,
moose is two point or three brow palm, or ten point total,
elk is six point bulls.
So its big boys on the chopping block and the Marlin sounds like the right tool for the job.
sasquatch

Postby sugarcreek » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:57 pm

just sayin' wrote:Sugar, that gasket sounds much more dependable that flour paste. Hehehe! Why is that not their OE default seal? Short sighted design?

My guess is that the finance types at BGE got involved and wanted to pocket $20 / unit in profit.
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? ~Jack Handey
sugarcreek

Postby just sayin' » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:38 pm

Good luck with your hunt, Squatch! Keep use posted.

Sugar, I imagine you right about the bean counter types. Profit is not a dirty word, but...
just sayin'

Postby Cap'n Canuck » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:53 pm

Tis summer, for sure. I've barely been near the computer.

Been curing and smoking just about every sort of meat item I can get my hands on. Got a grinder/stuffer for xmas, then picked up some cure #1 in February. My wife is starting to complain about the volume of meat in the freezer and fridge. Smoked belly bacon, peameal bacon (cured unsmoked loin, rolled in cornmeal) sausages of all sorts and flavours, pepperettes (first fermented then dried/smoked sausage - worked, yay!)... Have a slab of beef curing in the fridge that I hope finishes in time for me to smoke it on sunday for a pastrami/montreal smoked meat kinda deal. That and trying to master ribs.. The family has to eat a couple racks for each iteration, so it's taking awhile. They don't seem to keen on eating ribs every weekend day. Got the cold smoke generator for my smoker the other day. Still need to get some fridge space to brine up some salmon to try it out.. Probably should get around to hooking the stc1000 up to the spare mini chest freezer, and move the curing out of the main fridge.. For marital harmony, and all that. Oh, and keeping the stocks of booze replenished from time to time.. Oh yeah, and I need to pull off and clean the carbs on the midget.. And burn off the rest of the tank of last year's gas..

Busy time of year..
Cap'n Canuck

Postby just sayin' » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:42 pm

Dang, Cap'n,
You have got my mouth watering. Smoked a couple of shoulders over the July 4th weekend. Made a batch of hot Italian sausage ABTs, never enough no matter how many I make. Serve them and it is like crows around road kill until they disappear...
Good summer so far!
just sayin'

Postby Cap'n Canuck » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:07 pm

I blame the guys here. I wouldn't have even considered the whole "cured meats" thing without seeing what some of the guys here were up to. Turns out they were right.. a few tools, a little attention is all that's needed... Seems that if you could do it in the 1400's, it's not that hard to replicate a decent facsimile today. :)
Cap'n Canuck

Postby bbok » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:55 am

Back for the land of Prosciutto, salami, pancetta and soooo many more I was too full to try. A new hobby to start after the still is operational
bbok

Previous

Return to Off Topic Discussion