• Advertisement

Summer break?

This is the junk yard of topics. For topics that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Summer break?

Postby bbok » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:26 pm

sugarcreek wrote:New picket fence. Start of my outdoor kitchen:

IMG_20160612_162553.resized.jpg

Bit of gardening, not enough lounging / relaxing.

Is that a green egg I see? :8) Love mine
bbok

Postby dutchmancreek » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:55 am

I've got two friends who have Big Green Eggs. They keep trying to talk me into buying one.
(Designated as ne'er do well)

"we deal in lead, friend"

Whiskey River take my mind

----------------------------
dutchmancreek

Postby just sayin' » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:03 pm

Glad to see everyone living life to the fullest! Thanks for all the responses.
Is the big green egg worth the cost? That could buy a nice sheet or three of copper...
just sayin'

Postby sugarcreek » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:47 am

I really do love my egg.. however, I will say I bought it right after the 2008 from a pool company that had expanded into an "outdoor living" company -- talk about bad timing. I paid $350 for it new. I'm not sure I'd shell out $850 for it. That being said, it really is an all-purpose grill. I've done regular grilling (fish, burgers, brats, dogs, steaks) but it really shines as a smoker. I've also smoked turkeys, ribs, brisket, pork shoulder, you name it. Once you get the temp stable you can let it go until fuel is depleted. I think the longest smoke I've done was for two pork shoulders -- about 15 hours.
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? ~Jack Handey
sugarcreek

Postby just sayin' » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:03 am

Thanks, Sugar. I have read that they are something else, but at $$$!
just sayin'

Postby Wooday » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:09 am

Mostly I've been puttering around making plates for the column but I also came out of retirement for a couple days to do some tree work.
Wooday

Equipment type: 20qt stock pot
Air cooled baseboard condenser
6ft of 3" copper waiting patiently to become a perforated plated column

Postby okie » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:21 am

I have a grill with a side box for smoking. I also have a friend with an egg. The meat that comes out of either are great it's just that I'll use more wood than the egg but I can do more with the meat as it's cooking. For example on ribs I dry rub and smoke, then after 4 hours I soak in sauce then,wrap them in foil and let that cook for 30 min, then open so the sauce can caramelize. The meat literally falls off the bone and can't be beat.

I can buy two of my grilles with the gas and charcoal side with side box with a cover and not be as much as the egg. I will say, the friend with the egg absolutely loves his so I think it's whatever you prefer and how you cook.
Never Trust a Man That Doesn't Drink
okie

Postby just sayin' » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:28 pm

Is there an "Egg Hack"? I have thought about starting with big clay pots to try a home build. We are basically a "Do It Yourself" community with a great number of brilliant minds.
Is anyone running a Big Green Egg clone?
just sayin'

Postby zedzedtop » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:19 pm

I have a ceramic egg smoker but it isn't a BGE. Works well enough and had it 10years or so. I fried the gasket doing a neo pizza and never got around to replacing it. Don't use clay pots. The trick with these types of things is having them totally air tight except for bottom inlet and top outlet. If I was to do one myself I might use firebrick and refractory mortar. Not sure how I'd do a lid. Have fantasies of having an egg clone made out of cast iron, preferably cast from old engine blocks. Something tells me I'm going to die with that dream.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby just sayin' » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:08 pm

Zed, thanks! You have gotten me thinking, i have a big old cast iron soap kettle that is currently holding a over sized potted Boston fern. I'm would love to put it to a more productive use.
just sayin'

Postby Azframer » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:52 pm

I have been racking my brain on trying to learn a new program called Blender so I can create some parts for the simulator I can't make with CAD software I run. It is either learn Blender or Gmax. I can't find any really good tutorials for Gmax. Found some for Blender but none do cockpit work like I have out in front of me now. I have a PDF for Gmax for building models for FS 2004 but I have FSX. A lot more work to be done.
Attachments
RPG47.JPG
This is some of what I have done on the Boeing 777 cockpit in Blender
1457596663.jpg
This was me importing the Dash 1 into Gmax
Friends call me Rick
Drank all night and I am still thirsty!
But I don't feel like I got to much blood in my alcyhol.
Azframer

Equipment type: 5 Gallon Pot Still, Dash1

Postby just sayin' » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:41 pm

Rick,
When I was a kid I heard you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Now that I am an old dog I am forced to believe it. Lost two dear friends and survived the widow makers clot last year. Changed my world view and I am going to yield my desk to a younger buck this fall.
I am going to try to keep my brain functioning by trying to master those disciplines that defeated me. 4th course of engineering calculus. My brain still works, just not as fast.
If we quit learning we are dying.
Good luck mastering your challenge! I was once able to do amazing thing with a bamboo slide rule. I give away my vintage.
To all, enjoy your summer (except those down under, but the bright side is your days are getting longer).
just sayin'

Postby Tracker » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:34 am

I am into my third week of a 3 month holiday trip in the north part of Queensland. Avoiding the cool winter of the south.

Cheers.
Tracker

Equipment type: 50 litre keg, SD 2" to 4" torpedo with 2 bubble plates, Dephlegmator, Pot still arm, copper SPP and condenser.(Tracker Stacker Flavour Packer)
Various pot still/thumper configurations.
Bok 2" slant plate for neutral and cleaning up mistakes.

Postby sugarcreek » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:32 pm

zedzedtop wrote:I fried the gasket doing a neo pizza and never got around to replacing it.

Happened about the first month I had it -- opened the lid to burp it a bit, raised it all the way and the felt gasket was on fire. Replaced with nomex and not a problem since. Use it at least weekly, often moreso.
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? ~Jack Handey
sugarcreek

Postby just sayin' » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:33 pm

Sugar, I am amazed that a top self/high end product like the EGG that is a vessel with an engineered mission to contain fire would be marketed with a flammable gasket!!! That is kind of like buying a respected manufacturers backpack designed to transport all the gear required to survive a trek into the wilderness/backcountry that requires a separate pack cover because it didn't dawn on them that it would be sensible to make the bloody thing waterproof. I own the pack and the cover, but as Bill Bryson said in an all time favorite book, "A Walk in the Woods", "Are you shitting me!!!"
If you are dropping the change for a BMW you figure they have worked out the small details.
I still have EGG envy, never thought I would have to seal it with flour paste.
just sayin'

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion