• Advertisement

Where's Pint been?

This is the junk yard of topics. For topics that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Where's Pint been?

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:07 am

I can't say I deserve the compliments, but thanks, and I'm just happy to be here. Also, if anyone's going to be on Whidbey Island, PM me in advance, and I'll give you the cook's tour of the world's tiniest distillery.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby bbok » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:31 am

I sort of figured out what Swede had said over the past few months...I missed the peak again :evil: (anyone want some beanie babies? j/k).

That's cool with me. It means I have the equipment I need to make my drink and, unlike the PC I just bought, its not already obsolete.

Where you old farts can add continued value is in your experience in aging/storage/recipes etc. How do you organize all the materials that this hobby requires. I haven't made a drop yet...sadly. I started buying parts and materials and quickly realized I was running out of room and had to stop to re-arrange/add shelving etc! I

I would love to hear what your "go to" setup is. Those who have had time to practice their craft must have now developed recipes/setups etc that work best for them. BTW, not looking to just copy but would prefer to start from what people have found works best for them. Maybe not even recipes but aging and storage. Volumes is one of the things that made me put in more shelving. I am not looking to mass produce, but I want to be able to age and store a volume of neutral that I can then turn into other stuff throughout the year...but I am wondering how others deal with the logistics of stuff like that.

Another example. As a Canadian I am trying to figure out how I deal with spent liquids in Jan/Feb :ranting:

Off my :soapbox: but there are aspects of this hobby that the oldtimers can still tell us about IMHO :)
bbok

Postby Mud » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:06 pm

I've worked in production/manufacturing environments for most of my adult life. What you learn is that work flow should be safe, easy and linear ad much as possible. For making liquor start at one end with raw materials and organize operations in order until bottling.

Grain-->mashing-->fermenting-->distilling-->collection-->proofing-->bottling is the order.
If you want to store neutral for latwr use add this: \__> bulk storage

And put it in a milk can because milk cans don't shatter. Draw a plan of your building on graph paper and make scale cutouts of your stuff. Then move them around to fit and flow logically (distilling on put sugar sacks behind bottles of UJSM, etc)
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby Tracker » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:15 am

I'm not sure about saving and ageing neutral.
My interpretation is that ageing is more beneficial once it is transformed to it's final form.
I am of course prepared to accept alternate views.

Cheers.
Tracker

Equipment type: 50 litre keg, SD 2" to 4" torpedo with 2 bubble plates, Dephlegmator, Pot still arm, copper SPP and condenser.(Tracker Stacker Flavour Packer)
Various pot still/thumper configurations.
Bok 2" slant plate for neutral and cleaning up mistakes.

Postby bbok » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:27 am

@Tracker, apologies. I am not looking to age neutral for improved product, just storage so that I can use for use at a later date for maceration, liquers etc. I am curious to know people successes/failures/preferences for aging/oaking whiskeys, ryes etc. TIA.

My plan is to start with simple sugar washes to learn how to run my rig. With any luck that will mean I end up with several litres of neutral (storage?). Once I am comfortable there then onto UJSM...filtration? Oaking? Storage? etc. etc. Just looking for peoples experiences. :beer:
bbok

Postby dutchmancreek » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:45 am

bbok wrote:I would love to hear what your "go to" setup is. Those who have had time to practice their craft must have now developed recipes/setups etc that work best for them. BTW, not looking to just copy but would prefer to start from what people have found works best for them. Maybe not even recipes but aging and storage. Volumes is one of the things that made me put in more shelving. I am not looking to mass produce, but I want to be able to age and store a volume of neutral that I can then turn into other stuff throughout the year...but I am wondering how others deal with the logistics of stuff like that.
:)

I'm one of those "old farts" who have been around this organization for quite a while.
I have used the same pot still set up for over 15 years...before that I had a different pot. I once built a CM (didn't like it) and a VM column that I recently took apart because I never seemed to use it. I like "flavored spirits" and my pot still does what I need it to do. I don't chase technology...just stick with what works.

For grain storage, I use sealed plastic containers....I don't keep anything in the bags it came in. For storage of neutrals, stainless corny kegs will work fine (seal well, won't break, and can set on the floor).
(Designated as ne'er do well)

"we deal in lead, friend"

Whiskey River take my mind

----------------------------
dutchmancreek

Postby dutchmancreek » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:53 am

Everybody's got their own ideas for aging. I use Pint's charred oak stick method (I cut sticks from used bourbon barrels) and age in 1/2 gallon mason jars.
(Designated as ne'er do well)

"we deal in lead, friend"

Whiskey River take my mind

----------------------------
dutchmancreek

Postby punkin » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:06 pm

When ageing or storing please give some extra thought to abv that you have stored.
Neutral was broken down immediately after i made it and it was a rule not to store spirit at 96%.

I built a large welded cage to keep thieves out of my storage. Not because i was afraid of loosing it but because i was afraid what would happen if a bunch of kids as bad as i was when i was 12 or 14 happened to break into my shed. Or even someone you know being there when you weren't.

I could imagine them daring each other to keep drinking high test and the results of that and facing the parents of dead children, even though they may have been in the wrong would not be something i'd want to do or something that would do the chances of legalisation any good.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby pintoshine » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:22 am

Hello everyone. My apologies about not interacting more. I will give you a short list of what keeps me from posting more than i do.
1. I no longer work a desk job maintaining software systems that never broke. I am self employed now.
2. I work as a consultant doing distillery support in every technical aspect you could imagine.
3. Even though i am not always asked to, I treat every distilling company as if I have signed a non-disclosure agreement. That limits alot of the information ia can freely divuldge. That also keeps me from wrecking the stories about grandfathers and handed down recipes.
4. I travel a great deal. This short message is coming to you from Colorado springs CO. In 2015 i was home a total of 40 weekends. Needless to say my nights are usually full and when bed time comes I get what rest i can.
5. Traveling has its own pitfalls. I smartphone is a pain in the ass to type on for me. I am writing this on a 12 inch Samsung note. At least the keyboard is almost large enough to type on normally. I seldome carry a laptop except to program PLCs and displays.

I know that all sounds like a bunch of bunk but it all adds up to nearly no free time. I read latest posts, authorize each and every new person, and smack my forehead everytime i see a noob ask the same old questions.
Good news is the boom in micro distilleries is slowing down. The bad news is i have to find another way to make money. I am working on a couple projects to fish for interest. One is this Arduino craze. I am working one an inexpensive dc motor driver with massive capabilities. For example many people are building 3d printers these days. These can be moved by pretty small steppers. There is another group though that is into retrofitting massive industrial equipment. It is unbelievable that a Arduino mega or a Raspberry pi has thousands times more computing power than was available in 1985. The problem is the drives.
I have a 7500 lb cnc knee mill that has 8 hp peak x y and z drives. No one makes an inexpensive drive for that much power. But these retro machines need replacements because 30 year old filter capacitora die first and leave those old bipolar transistor drives with analog math units worthless.
So. I started the extremely high power scr heater circuits back around 2006 or 2007 and within a couple years you could buy the module on ebay for a couple bucks. The least expensive drive for my servos commercially is around $7000. With an arduino ans about $50 in parts i can make a better one than the commercial one. I'm sure those guys who want to control big stuff with surplus treadmill motors would like a hardware solution they can plug directly to their arduino or raspwberry pie also.
That is just an example of what keeps my mind busy.
I am still shipping enzymes all over the world enabling the average guy to make pure grain alcohol without all the complication of malt or malting.
I have had feedback from many places in Europe, NZ, Australia and many places I never even heard of. There are many distilleries that are buying too.
My favorite setup is my two potstill setup. 50 gallon capacity pintoshine copper pot, and a simple keg electrically heated. Each have the hollow shell condensers. I still manage to crank out a few batches a year. I quit drinking a good while back for health reasons. I don't consume my goods anymore. My friend frank keeps all our friends happy giving it away.
I guess that is all for now. I do post a bit of my adventures on facebook as either Sherman Owen or Artisan Resources. Youtube gets the best stuff as Sherman Owen or pintoshine.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby thepatchworkdoll » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:11 am

Hi Pint
Great to hear your still around and keeping busier than ever.
Lang may yer Lum reek.
Regards
Patch
thepatchworkdoll

Equipment type: 1500 x 54 coppper column packed with SPP, VM Proportional Splitting Head on 50 ltr keg. 4 plate 4" Bubble Cap on 50 ltr keg. 2" Standard Pot Still on 50 ltr keg.

Postby Mud » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:43 pm

pintoshine wrote:Hello everyone. My apologies about not interacting more. I will give you a short list of what keeps me from posting more than i do.
1. I no longer work a desk job maintaining software systems that never broke. I am self employed now.
2. I work as a consultant doing distillery support in every technical aspect you could imagine.
3. Even though i am not always asked to, I treat every distilling company as if I have signed a non-disclosure agreement. That limits alot of the information ia can freely divuldge. That also keeps me from wrecking the stories about grandfathers and handed down recipes.
4. I travel a great deal. This short message is coming to you from Colorado springs CO. In 2015 i was home a total of 40 weekends. Needless to say my nights are usually full and when bed time comes I get what rest i can.
5. Traveling has its own pitfalls. I smartphone is a pain in the ass to type on for me. I am writing this on a 12 inch Samsung note. At least the keyboard is almost large enough to type on normally. I seldome carry a laptop except to program PLCs and displays.

I know that all sounds like a bunch of bunk but it all adds up to nearly no free time. I read latest posts, authorize each and every new person, and smack my forehead everytime i see a noob ask the same old questions.
Good news is the boom in micro distilleries is slowing down. The bad news is i have to find another way to make money. I am working on a couple projects to fish for interest. One is this Arduino craze. I am working one an inexpensive dc motor driver with massive capabilities. For example many people are building 3d printers these days. These can be moved by pretty small steppers. There is another group though that is into retrofitting massive industrial equipment. It is unbelievable that a Arduino mega or a Raspberry pi has thousands times more computing power than was available in 1985. The problem is the drives.
I have a 7500 lb cnc knee mill that has 8 hp peak x y and z drives. No one makes an inexpensive drive for that much power. But these retro machines need replacements because 30 year old filter capacitora die first and leave those old bipolar transistor drives with analog math units worthless.
So. I started the extremely high power scr heater circuits back around 2006 or 2007 and within a couple years you could buy the module on ebay for a couple bucks. The least expensive drive for my servos commercially is around $7000. With an arduino ans about $50 in parts i can make a better one than the commercial one. I'm sure those guys who want to control big stuff with surplus treadmill motors would like a hardware solution they can plug directly to their arduino or raspwberry pie also.
That is just an example of what keeps my mind busy.
I am still shipping enzymes all over the world enabling the average guy to make pure grain alcohol without all the complication of malt or malting.
I have had feedback from many places in Europe, NZ, Australia and many places I never even heard of. There are many distilleries that are buying too.
My favorite setup is my two potstill setup. 50 gallon capacity pintoshine copper pot, and a simple keg electrically heated. Each have the hollow shell condensers. I still manage to crank out a few batches a year. I quit drinking a good while back for health reasons. I don't consume my goods anymore. My friend frank keeps all our friends happy giving it away.
I guess that is all for now. I do post a bit of my adventures on facebook as either Sherman Owen or Artisan Resources. Youtube gets the best stuff as Sherman Owen or pintoshine.

I would have done the same thing with the mill.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Postby Mud » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:10 pm

thepatchworkdoll wrote:Lang may yer Lum reek.

If it does drink a bunch of pineapple juice.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Postby olcarguy » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:25 pm

Swede wrote:I'm going to guess that over time people mature and find their way in the hobby. I am this way myself. I find myself with less and less interesting things to post, so I've dropped away from the forefront.

I'm still doing what I do, and making more than enough to keep everyone I know happy, but I'm not in the exciting development and learning phase like I used to be. It's not bad, but on a mature forum like this, it's not surprising that alot of the old voices have gotten quieter.

I still check in, but I am not as excited about all the newest and greatest things that come out, and I feel that may be due to the fact that there was a peak in innovation in our hobby 5-6 years ago with the various tray column designs coming out.

At this point, the lurkers learn, and put to practice the wisdom of our old posts. They're able to become self sufficient with the "teachings of old" and don't need the active interaction we had in our past. Let's let this forum stand as a monument to the great designs and developments of our past, and hope it steers the next generation of personal distillers down the right path.

Cheers gentlemen.

Well said, explains my absence quite easily.
I am "CANADIAN"
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible-
but pissing everyone off, is a piece of cake.
olcarguy

Equipment type: 6gal Milk can Pot still, 3gal thumper......

Previous

Return to Off Topic Discussion