• Advertisement

Disposal of spent grain by composting

This is the junk yard of topics. For topics that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Disposal of spent grain by composting

Postby zedzedtop » Tue May 30, 2017 1:51 am

I never really had a compost heap take off until I dumped a good 4 sacks of spent in it one year. You need a critical mass of material to get things going and get hot enough. It's very easy to get too hot and make not-so-good compost. Just piling up straw and kitchen scraps from two people isn't enough on its own either. With small input heaps, you'll want some insulation. The easiest way to do this is start a larger heap, and when you get a few days of scraps to dump in, pull back a foot or two of the heap and dump yer scraps (plus some straw/etc.) into the core and re-cover. You want to keep the core hot. I'm never perfect with mine, but I know it's working when it is, and I generally know why it is or isn't.

Did you know you can get about the same amount of heat off a unit of wood by composting it as opposed to burning it in a woodstove/etc.? Harder to manage actively, but totally possible, and you end up with compost as opposed to ash.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby Pikey » Tue May 30, 2017 5:39 pm

Squint wrote:Pikey
Anyway you can mix the spent grain and your sawdust together, then compact that mix into a Briquette and then use as fuel on your wood burner ?

The more I think about Squint's idea, the more I like it. Just need to make a prototype press to try it out. I have a couple of old stainless bollards around 5" diameter, so an outer tube, I can rig up - now I just need to Bodge either a ram to squash the mix, or a puller to go down the centre and pull the mix together. Something like a "fruit press" maybe, if I can get it to take a lot more pressure.

Don't have any spent grain atm, but I can sacrifice a little corn meal as a substitute perhaps.
Pikey

Postby Squint » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:53 am

how about a long wood clamp ? just keep winding the end in, leave a hole in that bollard for the moisture to come out,

you get that bollard from Tesco car park ? :lol:
Squint

Equipment type: It's all gone to a new home,

Sad, really Sad I am.

Postby Pikey » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:35 am

Yeah that could work - got a set of sash clamps - they only wind a few inches at a time - but I could rig up some spacers easy enough and it's only a proto type :8)

[Edit - Only snag I see is the possibility of the pressure binding the fill to the sides of the tube ]

Squint wrote:how about a long wood clamp ? just keep winding the end in, leave a hole in that bollard for the moisture to come out,

you get that bollard from Tesco car park ? :lol:

Well not personally - but the guy who did, got paid to take 'em away :roflmao:
Pikey

Postby Bushman » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:00 am

I have a good size compost area with two sides for rotating compost. If I put my spent grain on top of the compost the birds are all over it. As mentioned it hardens so I spread it through-out the compost then cover it up.
Bushman

Equipment type: I have a VM still with a 2" column and a keg for a boiler and a 4" CM still that runs on electric heat.

Previous

Return to Off Topic Discussion