• Advertisement

Central Illinois

Are you planning a camping trip or cook out others would like to know about?

Central Illinois

Postby BuildingMotive » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:40 pm

Getting ready for my first run. If there is anyone near by I would love some experienced help and tips. If not I guess first hand experience is the best way to learn. :mg:
Semper Fi!
BuildingMotive

Re: Central Illinois

Postby mikejwoodnz » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:25 am

This is the Internet - we are all nearby - :D - what have you fermented and what are you running it through ? - what are your expectations ? - I'm about for a couple of hours if you need an oncall help :beer:
My Terminal Cancer is now : maybe a little remission :-)
mikejwoodnz

Equipment type: 75 litre SS "Milk Can" Pot Still, Onion Head, 1.5m Copper Liebig, SS Fermenters, AirStills . . .

Postby BuildingMotive » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:46 pm

Well, I'm pretty paranoid and probably posted this out of desperation. I'm running my first batch of a basic sugar wash this weekend and really wanted something presentable to bring home to the family. Maybe I'll just see what I can come up with on my own. I just have no idea what i'm doing once happiness starts dripping from my takeoff and wanted to make sure i wasnt making a mess of my first run.

From what I've read I should just figure I'm going to make a mess of it and just hope it's drinkable.

Thanks anyway though.

PS
I'm still trying to figure out what to do once my keg's started boiling. Most of my research has been in the design.
Semper Fi!
BuildingMotive

Postby vb » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:39 am

collect in small containers, do the sniff and taste test on each one, keep only the good tasting stuff, don't taste the stuff that smells bad.

water it down to 40-50% (you have a hydrometer right?) and you should be good to go.
See You Next Tuesday.
vb

Equipment type: yes, and lots of it

Postby BuildingMotive » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:58 pm

Just thought I'd update that I've made two runs now with no trouble at all thanks to all the info here. Guess I was all worried about nothing. Now to start working on grain mashes. :mg:
Semper Fi!
BuildingMotive

Postby mikejwoodnz » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:07 pm

BuildingMotive wrote:Just thought I'd update that I've made two runs now with no trouble at all thanks to all the info here. Guess I was all worried about nothing. Now to start working on grain mashes. :mg:

That's great, the simplest method is to do what you can with what you have on hand - you learn your technique by doing it. When you understand the absolutes you will recognise the variables. :beer:
My Terminal Cancer is now : maybe a little remission :-)
mikejwoodnz

Equipment type: 75 litre SS "Milk Can" Pot Still, Onion Head, 1.5m Copper Liebig, SS Fermenters, AirStills . . .

Return to Local Get Togethers