• Advertisement

Where's Fish?

Are you planning a camping trip or cook out others would like to know about?

Where's Fish?

Postby Fishtech » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:47 pm

I travel for work 3 weeks out of each month. I'm never quite sure where I'll be until I'm there- to so I figure I'd start trying to meet up with you fine folks if I end up near you.

I'd love to see some of your rigs, and possibly sample some of your product. I'll post whenever I relocate each month.

Shoot me a PM if any of you are near Williamsport, PA (Current location). I'll bring the beer! Cheers!
“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.”- Edward Abbey
Fishtech

Equipment type: 1 gallon stainless air-cooled test still

10 gallon stainless alembic still (electric)
20" shotgun condenser
6" Dephlegmator

30 gallon electric alembic still
30" shotgun condenser

Re: Where's Fish?

Postby minime » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:51 pm

You ever get to Michigan's upper peninsula?
Never save the best for last!
minime

Equipment type: VM enthusiast.

Postby Fishtech » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:30 pm

I'll be working in the midwest in the next few months hopefully. Tons of 4g work there!
“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.”- Edward Abbey
Fishtech

20" shotgun condenser
6" Dephlegmator

30" shotgun condenser

Postby vb » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:38 pm

Fishtech wrote:I'll be working in the midwest in the next few months hopefully. Tons of 4g work there!

sounds like your a tower Jockey. I did that for a few years, fun work when the weather is nice. sucks when its cold.
See You Next Tuesday.
vb

Equipment type: yes, and lots of it

Postby pintoshine » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:01 am

tower jockey was my first real job. I changed light bulbs. Those things are huge. and 1000' straight up is scary when the wind is pushing the tower 10' back and forth. Caused me to think I needed to be in IT where it was safe and I started to play with yeast in a distillery. It was 20 years old and later.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby vb » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:43 am

pintoshine wrote:Those things are huge. and 1000' straight up is scary when the wind is pushing the tower 10' back and forth.

only been up one that high, mostly worked on 300-500ft ones.
the real fun was on changing bulbs on broadcast towers that had a 50 ft antenna on top, I swear there were times I thought it was gonna bust in half below me.
See You Next Tuesday.
vb

Equipment type: yes, and lots of it

Postby Odin » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:12 pm

Guys, being Dutch I have a question. What is a tower jockey. I know "tower" I know "jocky" but don't see it.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
My Blog on distilling: http://istillblog.wordpress.com/
My Site on distilling: http://www.istill.eu/
Odin

Equipment type: iStill 50, VISION, 250, ...

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:02 pm

Odin,

It's slang, North American mostly, I think. If a jockey is a horse rider, you can extend that to say a jockey is also a user or worker with some particular non-horse item. By that means, an office worker becomes a "desk jockey", because he "rides" or works at, a desk. In this case tower jockeys are people who work on towers, often broadcast or receiving antenna towers.

You could call us all still jockeys.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby Fishtech » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:54 pm

Not a Jockey- a surveyor- MW transmission. I like to climb, but Mountains, not towers!

We're doing long-haul paths from chicago to NYC... been driving through the PA game lands for 2 months now. Pretty fun to get paid to off-road a rental car!

Williamsport is a fun town. There's a place called "Bullfrog Brewery" here- they have a great scotch/bourbon/irish whiskey selection on top of a great tap list. Each sunday they have a live 'blues brunch' from 12-4pm with a jazz/blues quartet. If you guys are ever in Williamsport- don't miss it, had a great time!
Fishtech

20" shotgun condenser
6" Dephlegmator

30" shotgun condenser

Return to Local Get Togethers