• Advertisement

Met a member.......

Did you meet someone from the BB? Let the others know and tell them you had a good time.

Met a member.......

Postby kenfyoozed » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:01 pm

Met Mr.Larry this weekend. We had some buisness totals care of and we both too the time to trade some of our products. We didn't have long to chat, more of a stop and swap bus was good none the less.

Mr Larry furnished me with some of his Rhum de Manderine. The bottle was awesome. Nice thick heavy clear bottle. Larry, where did you get these from? I want a case. Label nicely done and spent more time and skill than what I have. Again very nice.

Now on to what really counts, the Rum! The color was about the color of light sweet tea, maybe a shade darker. The color comes from the mandarines. The base for this rum is molasses, yet Larry uses panela! The aroma of this is so beautiful, and to complex to put into words but I will try. The scent is very sweet with a floral nose. It reminds me of wild honey blossom smell with a hint of butterscotch. I sat and sniffed for a long while. I count not smell anything that I would call offensive in the least. Wonderfully done. The taste again takes you away from the traditional rum taste. The first sip reminds you are drinking a rum yet takes you on a ride. The flavor changes to a spicy note in the back of the throat with and after taste of sweetness and citrus. The panela seems to impart a nice cane flavor I would almost say its grassy but not in a bad way. Nicely done.

Larry , was good to meet you and enjoyed your rum. Thanks!
Pint, I HATE you!
Don't mind me, I'm just the village idiot.
Craft of Whisky Distilling. I like the pics.-
http://www.distilling.com/PDF/craftbook.pdf
kenfyoozed

Equipment type: Pot stiller

Re: Met a member.......

Postby Bushman » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:02 pm

This doesn't happen often in our hobby but I too have become close friends with another active hobbiest and it is a rich and rewarding experience when it does. We can only compare what we make with store bought products but it is truly nice to be able to compare with another standard! Plus the learning experience if you get a chance to actually sit down and share ideas!
Bushman

Equipment type: I have a VM still with a 2" column and a keg for a boiler and a 4" CM still that runs on electric heat.

Postby Smaug » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:43 pm

Thanks for the kind words Ken.

That particular bottle was re-purposed. It's former purpose was to prevent a 12 yr old Zaya from being poured on the ground in one fell swoop....

I'll start by saying that so far,, all of Ken's offering's are very well done..They are better on several par levels than what can be purchased from the store.

....And likewise, Kenfyoozed supplied me with a generous little gift assortment of:

Golden Rum: Great color.The rum has a lovely molasses nose that gives me that familiar rum note. Very smooth and easy to drink...The molasses definitely has more body as the concentration of un-fermentables within the base is greater....Very nicely done and could see myself drinking this rum as a sipping rum all the time.

Back Woods Whisky: great color, Bourbon notes are definitely there. Great job on cuts indeed. Very smooth and the heat is slow moving so One could easily find them selves in happy land with out even realizing it. I would say that the whiskey opens on your tongue perhaps twice,,,as compared to a "Stanton's" that may open 3 or four notes on your tongue.
This whisky is so smooth that it is perfect for teaching yourself to drink brown likker if ya never previously appreciated it....Smooth enough for early morning celebrating on your camping trips with good friends.....can drink this any time.
Limecello: oh dear,,,this is good,,,,,great color,,,very exellant lime nose... The sweetness on this sample really appealed to my sweet tooth,,, I could chug the entire bottle easily....here's one Ken if ya got any of mine left,,,1- part of yer limecello,,,1- part of the manadrine rum,,,,1-part of the cane juice on the rocks....
Lemoncello (did not sample yet)
WPOSW (did not sample yet)
Smaug

Equipment type: If I'm being honest,,,,the entire StillDragon arsenal

Postby Smaug » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:49 pm

Nkay the Lemoncello is equally as good....I swear I could drink the entire bottle down in a single swallow......This here is a dangerous drop as it is 90 proof and way too easy to drink....

Think I do prefer the lime,,,,,but ,,,,,,hard to choose.....

Thank you Ken...
Smaug

Postby BigPa » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:21 pm

What wonderful reviews the two of you do. I swear I could almost smell and taste them as Ya'll described them. Well done and congrats for getting to meet fellow hobbyists....

:beer:
BigPa

Equipment type: http://www.rbscontrols.com/index.html

Postby minime » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:59 pm

BigPa wrote:What wonderful reviews the two of you do. I swear I could almost smell and taste them as Ya'll described them. Well done and congrats for getting to meet fellow hobbyists....

+1 Well said Pa
Never save the best for last!
minime

Equipment type: VM enthusiast.

Postby Bushman » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:25 pm

OK, I am dedicating most of my next batch of BW to Limoncello!
Bushman

Equipment type: I have a VM still with a 2" column and a keg for a boiler and a 4" CM still that runs on electric heat.

Postby jake_leg » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:03 am

Limecello... :mg: :mg: :mg: think you could have started something here, Ken.
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby Bushman » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:38 am

BigPa wrote:What wonderful reviews the two of you do. I swear I could almost smell and taste them as Ya'll described them. Well done and congrats for getting to meet fellow hobbyists....

These guys sound like they missed their calling writing reviews for local watering holes! :D
Bushman

Postby kenfyoozed » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:10 am

jake_leg wrote:Limecello... :mg: :mg: :mg: think you could have started something here, Ken.

I can't take credit for that. I know I picked it up from someone here , thinking VB or Punkin. I'm just following suit. Great knowledge here!
Pint, I HATE you!
Don't mind me, I'm just the village idiot.
Craft of Whisky Distilling. I like the pics.-
http://www.distilling.com/PDF/craftbook.pdf
kenfyoozed

Equipment type: Pot stiller

Postby Smaug » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:46 pm

Nkay Ken,,,
2- parts Ken's Lemoncello
.75- parts ken's golden rum.

On the rocks or shaken on the rocks and served martini style...

Double thumbs up.

Edited to say,,,I ain't kiddin ya Ken,,,,Tell me what ya think about that cuz i'm really diggin it.
Smaug

Postby vb » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:32 pm

kinda like a whiskey sour, but with rum.
See You Next Tuesday.
vb

Equipment type: yes, and lots of it

Postby Smaug » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:54 pm

Ah,,, yup
Smaug

Postby prairiepiss » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:16 pm

Thanks guys. Now I gota make some Lemoncello. :doh:
prairiepiss

Equipment type: 15.5 gal keg boiler with 2 5500w 220v elements. Now running 220v Stilldragon controller on one element.
30" X 2" Pot Still CM modular combo column.
16" X 3" shotgun condenser 5 1/2" X 11" and 4 1/4" X 11" tubes and built in gin basket.
8" bubble ball addition named Fu Man.

Return to Visits