• Advertisement

recent visit to Cosair Artisan Distillery- Bowling Green KY

Did you meet someone from the BB? Let the others know and tell them you had a good time.

recent visit to Cosair Artisan Distillery- Bowling Green KY

Postby cheapgas123 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:57 am

Hello all, just wanted to share a visit me and the wife went on. We recently visited the Corsair Artisan Distillery in Bowling Green KY. We had a breif tour of the facility, to which I was amazed to see all the things that go on in this small facility. We sampled some of their products. The owner Darek Bell has a book he published and was for sale on site at the facilty, named Alt Whiskeys, alternative whiskeys and techniques for the adventurous distiller. I must say it has over 60 recipies included in it, and the staff admitted they are more than willing to share the recipies. I am in no way affiliated with Corsair Artisan Distillery nor trying to sell their book or products. But if your ever in the area we would recomend stopping by and seeing the facilty. We hope to tour the Nashville TN distillery soon and maybe meet Mr. Bell. This place really enjoys experimenting with several different ideas. Also I forgot to mention the do have 5 gallon and 15 gallon wooden barrels!! And they do sell them too!
cheapgas123

Equipment type: 13 gallon SS pot with 3 inch copper head. 8 Gal. Brewhaus PSII switching over to all electric. Hoping to build a flute soon!!!

Re: recent visit to Cosair Artisan Distillery- Bowling Green KY

Postby Badger » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:35 pm

I just got this book and I highly recommend it. You can look it up on amazon to see some sample pages.
Badger

Equipment type: Stilldragon Dash 1 on a modified keg

Postby bentstick » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:26 pm

+1 good book!
It is what you make it
bentstick

Equipment type: 4" column,3 perf plates with a 2 plate and a 1 plate add on sections
Lm/vm hybrid with up to 3 bubble cap section add ons

Postby kenfyoozed » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:10 am

Met some of the Corsair folks in the spring.....they are deffinitly pushing the envelope on new recipies and getting it done. Lots of new ideas, or new alt ideas from those folks....
Pint, I HATE you!
Don't mind me, I'm just the village idiot.
Craft of Whisky Distilling. I like the pics.-
http://www.distilling.com/PDF/craftbook.pdf
kenfyoozed

Equipment type: Pot stiller

Postby Badger » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:20 am

The only problem with the book is that you realize every creative idea you ever had (shochu whiskey! quinoa moonshine!), and plenty you hadn't gotten to yet, have been thought of already by this dude. It's demoralizing! The only thing he doesn't really seem to be pushing (yet) are alternative aging materials. It's probably his next book.... :)

The recipes are for 100 gallon batches and so have to be scaled down but it is remarkably specific in the types of grains, yeast, etc. Anyone with access to a homebrew shop will be able to instantly raise their game. He has some fascinating ideas for how to add smoke to your distillate too. I'm not even done building my still and I'm already thinking about how to add a version of his plan for an inline smoker.
Badger

Equipment type: Stilldragon Dash 1 on a modified keg

Re: recent visit to Cosair Artisan Distillery- Bowling Green

Postby okie » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:31 pm

Fair Vodka sells a Quinoa vodka and it's rated high. Here it's 28 bucks for a 750ml. I might buy it for a try. Can't find the whiskey here.

BTW, how do you get the book?
Never Trust a Man That Doesn't Drink
okie

Postby Smaug » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:36 pm

Derek is generously forthcoming with info.
A real nice dude.
Smaug

Equipment type: If I'm being honest,,,,the entire StillDragon arsenal

Postby Bushman » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:21 pm

okie wrote:Fair Vodka sells a Quinoa vodka and it's rated high. Here it's 28 bucks for a 750ml. I might buy it for a try. Can't find the whiskey here.

BTW, how do you get the book?

Amazon carries it!
Bushman

Equipment type: I have a VM still with a 2" column and a keg for a boiler and a 4" CM still that runs on electric heat.

Postby brantoken » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:17 pm

recommend the book , lots of new ideas. too many for mere mortals...
Parental Digression Advised
TV
MA
SLV
brantoken

Equipment type: 3 inch ,Vm, Hybrid pot and Vacuum convertible electric modular still.
10.5Kw is nice.

Postby Bushman » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:38 pm

Here are the reviews on Amazon, those of you that have the book do you agree with the negative comments?
http://www.amazon.com/Alt-Whiskeys-Alte ... ewpoints=1
Bushman

Equipment type: I have a VM still with a 2" column and a keg for a boiler and a 4" CM still that runs on electric heat.

Postby brantoken » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:22 pm

No not really, not everybody who considers themselves knowledgeable actually are. Something that one has to consider in a Free information culture. If you actually distill you will find it interesting , I believe ( my opinion) . Take that for what it is worth, considering it is also free information.
Parental Digression Advised
TV
MA
SLV
brantoken

Equipment type: 3 inch ,Vm, Hybrid pot and Vacuum convertible electric modular still.
10.5Kw is nice.

Postby okie » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:13 am

I see there are 10 reviews, 5 are 5 stars the rest lower. I read them all and can see the complaints as well as the praises. I think that opens the door for a better book.

:oops:
Never Trust a Man That Doesn't Drink
okie

Return to Visits