• Advertisement

Charred VS. Toasted

If you are testing new material or old materials in a new way, tell us about it.

Which will win overall?

Charred
50%
Toasted
50%

Total votes : 32

Re: Charred VS. Toasted

Postby kekedog13 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:03 am

While shopping the other day at my local grocer I was pleasantly surprised to find bags of Jack Daniels Old No. 7 Wood Smoking Chips. About 3 LB. for $6.And at yet another grocery store I found 2.2 lb. cans of Premier Hopped Light Malt Extract syrup which even comes with a pack of yeast all for $5.99. WOO HOO :!: There's hope for this po boy brewer yet.I got the last can they had but they said they would order more. I have been wanting to try some of the recipes ( for whiskey) that call for malt extract but the cheapest my LHBS has is $12.00. I can also resume making beer so I'll have a nice cold chaser for the high proof hooch. :beer:
Yahoo Mountain Dew! It'll tickle you're innards!
kekedog13

Equipment type: 15.5 gallon keg, LM/VM T-Boka on top of a 38" X 2" column,32" Liebig

Postby olcarguy » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:10 am

I would be cautious about using the hopped Malt Extract syrup in your whiskey. The hop bitterness that we like so much in our beer carries over into the whiskey and doesn't taste too good.....Great find on the oak.

put your location in your profile so people will know where to look for the oak......just a general location...not address :D
I am "CANADIAN"
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible-
but pissing everyone off, is a piece of cake.
olcarguy

Equipment type: 6gal Milk can Pot still, 3gal thumper......

Postby kekedog13 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:37 pm

The malt was found at "United", a grocer that we have here in the mid-west. I'm going to try it regardless, it's too good of a price to not try it. It shouldn't carry any more hop flavors than when you run a finished beer which I've read doesn't.The oak was at a family run grocer that only exists in my home town, but look on the isle that has charcoal at a store near you. I've also heard that "Wally World" and "Bass Pro Shops" carry it.And a while back I found some that came in chunk form , it was in a bag along with charcoal, I separated out the chunks and split them into nice sticks about 3" x 1/2", toasted some , charred some.These were at a farm and home supply called "Atwoods". You never know what you'll find that you can use for our purposes until you see it. :wink:
Yahoo Mountain Dew! It'll tickle you're innards!
kekedog13

Equipment type: 15.5 gallon keg, LM/VM T-Boka on top of a 38" X 2" column,32" Liebig

Postby timmyjane » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:52 am

olcarguy wrote:Great find on the oak.

put your location in your profile so people will know where to look for the oak......just a general location...not address :D

This is sold at all major retailers in the US. Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, etc. Its in the grilling section.
timmyjane

Equipment type: Electric 3" multi valved modular LM/VM with inline thumper and heads reservoir.

Postby Brendan » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:02 am

Pint, this is an absolutely brilliant write up

It's exactly what i've been interested in doing myself, and can't believe i'm only finding this experiment of yours now.

Thanks for the effort that you put into it...I have really been enjoying toasted dominos! :D
Brendan

Equipment type: Modular 4" perforated plate column

Postby ZeroGee » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:03 am

Bump. Anything recent (other than the nuclear option)?

Anyone know where to find peated DME in North America?

ZG
Age, in and of itself, does not confer wisdom.
Instead, it provides a list of mistakes you hope, profoundly, never to repeat.
ZeroGee

Equipment type: Stone & Nixon all copper 2" offset valve-head LM reflux column with a 60L SS electric boiler.

Previous

Return to Materials