• Advertisement

Another way to make ethanol with copper

If you are testing new material or old materials in a new way, tell us about it.

Another way to make ethanol with copper

Postby Kareltje » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:58 pm

I found this link:
https://futurism.com/stanford-scientist ... g-ethanol/

The text does not really make sense to me, for the description seems to be flawed. But CO2 + H2O -> CH3CH2OH or something like that? 2 CO2 + 3 H2O -> CH3CH2OH + 3 O2 ???

It could work, but I doubt if it is efficient enough.
Kareltje

Re: Another way to make ethanol with copper

Postby just sayin' » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:46 pm

Interesting, I would like to see how much energy is consumed vs what is derived from the ethanol fuel where the rubber meets the road. I still believe my glass is the best place for alcohol. But then I am a stingy old SOB, booze was spinning my wheels a long time before they started wasting it in fuel tanks.

With enough grant money I believe even I could devise a system to power an engine with Surf & Turf BUT...my silly proposal is likely less than an order magnitude more foolish than our current "let us burn our food for fuel" agenda. WTF mates....sorry to get so close to "political", if I has crossed the line delete me. I was schooled too early to be educated in PC, I am handy capped to have only studied math and science.
Just Sayin' ( the grumpy old fart )

Edit: Hey I do not mean to dump on your post, I loved it! Please keep your interesting posts coming, I love that stuff! I am all for pushing the boundaries of science, I only object to pseudo science used as a tool to control more and more of our lives.
just sayin'

Postby Kareltje » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:43 am

If your edit was directed at me: no pun taken! :D
In fact: I do agree with you. (I think!)

The most imported thing I learned during my study was the question: "Can this be true or valid?" Cause people deceive you and lie to you and cheat you in your face. Knowingly or by mistake.

But I liked the combination of copper, CO2 and ethanol with our hobby of fermenting and distilling. And constructing and inventing.
Kareltje

Postby Pikey » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:38 pm

Kareltje wrote:
.............. I liked the combination of copper, CO2 and ethanol with our hobby of fermenting and distilling. And constructing and inventing.

Yes mate - given half our sugar becomes ethanol and half turns to CO2 - if we could convert that CO2 back into ethanol, with just water and a battery - the world's your lobster :D
Pikey

Postby Kareltje » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:27 pm

Pikey wrote:
Kareltje wrote:
.............. I liked the combination of copper, CO2 and ethanol with our hobby of fermenting and distilling. And constructing and inventing.

Yes mate - given half our sugar becomes ethanol and half turns to CO2 - if we could convert that CO2 back into ethanol, with just water and a battery - the world's your lobster :D

Thought that too!
But first we wait if the system will work! For now I will stick to my fermenting vessels and stills.

And drink it, so burn it in my body.
Kareltje

Postby sasquatch » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:41 am

You can put that machine on the shelf right beside the machine that turns lead into gold.
Who really believes that fossils make fuel such as gasoline anyway?

World consumption has been on a steady rise for decades and neared 94 million barrels a day in 2014. Estimates from the U.S. Energy Information Administration sees the number increasing by another million barrels a day by the end of next year:

That's a lot of dead dinosaurs. No wonder they went extinct. lol
sasquatch

Return to Materials