• Advertisement

Hungarian oak

If you are testing new material or old materials in a new way, tell us about it.

Re: Hungarian oak

Postby JBC » Tue May 01, 2018 8:55 am

JBC wrote: I’m wondering if anyone knows if they toast wine barrels? I know that the barrel I have has a medium char.
Thanks
JBC

Hey JBC: I just looked up toasting wine barrels. Yes they do toast them. But they only toast the inside of the barrel. Light, medium, and heavy toast. Sometimes they even char wine barrels depending on the wine. My advice to you is cut staves to your desired dementions making sure all 4 sides have been sanded or cut down to raw wood. Then toast and char to your pleasure. I’m glad I could help. :D :wink:
JBC
JBC

Postby Saltbush Bill » Tue May 01, 2018 5:32 pm

Zymurgy Bob wrote:That's the first half of the problem. The other half is cutting them small enough to get back out after they've swelled with liquor.

Easy solution ZB , Drink contents of container, sit container in warm/hot dry place, wood shrinks and stick can be removed.
Saltbush Bill

Equipment type: 2 inch pot still 25L boiler. 2 1/2 inch pot still 50L boiler

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Tue May 01, 2018 7:23 pm

Hey, why didn't I think of that?
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby Copperhead road » Wed May 02, 2018 3:41 am

Saltbush Bill wrote:
Zymurgy Bob wrote:That's the first half of the problem. The other half is cutting them small enough to get back out after they've swelled with liquor.

Easy solution ZB , Drink contents of container, sit container in warm/hot dry place, wood shrinks and stick can be removed.

Now that is smart thinking :8)
I have a number of 5L Demi’s that I could not remove oak, problem solved now thanks to Salty..... :wink:
my pet is a CCSC copper flute, I feed it corn and it pisses likker like a pony....
Copperhead road

Previous

Return to Materials