• Advertisement

removing labels

If you are testing new material or old materials in a new way, tell us about it.

Re: removing labels

Postby grunger » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:59 pm

goo gone makes a gel that I use when removing wine labels. Less mess than the original goo gone.
grunger

Equipment type: Potstill 50L keg

Postby dixiedrifter » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:00 pm

Acetone or MEK and some scrubbing will eat right thru them... or you could use any agressive non-polar solvent like xylene, toluene or what not followed up with a acetone rinse to get rid of the n.p. solvents.

DMSO is wonderful to remove "permanent" magic markers from glass and even some plastics like HDPE.
Former official Homedistiller shit stirrer.
dixiedrifter

Postby pintoshine » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:20 pm

I just use 95% to remove glue from bottles that don't clean up with soap and water.
I always have some of that on hand.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby mort4 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:37 am

I'm way more comfortable with ethanol (now that I have it) than with the petroleum distillates, it seems to work fine for most things. I never throw out any alcohol.
Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right
mort4

Equipment type: 2"x50" copper VM, with 8" dixiedrifter reflux coil and SD torpedo.
2" potstill head, 36" liebig product condenser. Propane fired. Three plate SD bubbler.
Member of Hobby Distillers Association

Postby Usge » Wed May 13, 2009 10:33 am

I think it's the oil (any oil) that will remove adhesive. I recall the old tale about using peanut butter to get gum out of hair. It's actually the "oil" that does it, not the peanut butter. You can use any oil...vegetable oil, olive oil, doesn't matter.

I just had new tile put in kitchen. There was that really strong adhesive gooing up between joints in the tile. Alc would have ruined the finish. A little olive oil on a paper tile and light rubbing. It came right up.

Just use whatever is cheap. Might take a couple more swipes than something thicker/more expensive, but its basically works the same. Don't really matter what kind of oil...but probably heavier oils will make shorter work of it.
Usge

Postby eternalfrost » Wed May 13, 2009 2:19 pm

dixiedrifter wrote:Acetone or MEK and some scrubbing will eat right thru them... or you could use any agressive non-polar solvent like xylene, toluene or what not followed up with a acetone rinse to get rid of the n.p. solvents.

DMSO is wonderful to remove "permanent" magic markers from glass and even some plastics like HDPE.

be CAREFUL with dmso!! it is one of the most powerful solvents out there. it will litterally soak up right through your skin into your blood stream, carrying long any other crud dissolved in it right along too.

Use of DMSO in medicine dates from around 1963, when a University of Oregon Medical School team, headed by Stanley Jacob, discovered it could penetrate the skin and other membranes without damaging them and could carry other compounds into a biological system.

Glove selection is important when working with DMSO. Thick rubber gloves are recommended. Nitrile gloves, which are very commonly used in chemical laboratories, have been found to dissolve rapidly with exposure to DMSO.[16] Because DMSO easily penetrates the skin, substances dissolved in DMSO may be quickly absorbed. For instance, a solution of sodium cyanide in DMSO can cause cyanide poisoning through skin contact. DMSO by itself has low toxicity.[17] Dimethyl sulfoxide can produce an explosive reaction when exposed to acid chlorides; at a low temperature, this reaction produces the oxidant for Swern oxidation.
eternalfrost

Postby Brandava » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:56 pm

Another approach is to carefully fill the bottle with hot tap-water; avoid getting the labels wet (you want the label paper to be strong). After a couple minutes when the bottle is hot the glue will have softened enough to peel the labels off by hand. To clean up any glue that stays on the bottle, soak a paper towel with vegetable oil and wipe the glue with it, let sit a minute, then use another paper towel to clean off the glue. WD40 works as well, but the scent can linger. Wash the bottles with regular dish soap to remove the oil.

Brandava
Brandava

Postby Rednose » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:23 pm

Try gasoline to get the glue off, that's how we do it here.
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up. ~Robert Frost
Rednose

Equipment type: ................. No flutes, only stills.

From 4 to 10 inch column diameter and 50 to 300 Ltr boiler gas/steam heated.

In avatar 10 inch bubbler and 6 inch rectificator (95%VOL)

Commercial licenced distillery

Postby Tracker » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:26 am

On old bottles you would soak them in water and everything would just peel off. In recent years when they seem to have all gone to a solvent based glue, I scrape as much of the label and glue off with a sharp knife and a bit of foreshots on a rag takes care of what is left.

Cheers.
Tracker

Equipment type: 50 litre keg, SD 2" to 4" torpedo with 2 bubble plates, Dephlegmator, Pot still arm, copper SPP and condenser.(Tracker Stacker Flavour Packer)
Various pot still/thumper configurations.
Bok 2" slant plate for neutral and cleaning up mistakes.

Postby Harry » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:14 am

Foreshots, stainless steel scrubbie & a bit of elbow grease. :D

Slainte!
regards Harry
http://distillers.tastylime.net/

Winning the hearts & minds; one post at a time.
(you will be assimilated. resistance is futile.)
Harry

Equipment type: 25 Lt 1500W elec. boiler, 2" x 40" packed column VM, x-flow O/head HX, crimp-path Liebig HX, VM proportioning valve, all in copper.
Various experimental gear.

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:01 am

I bottle beer and wine in recycled bottles, so I'm always looking to get bottles de-labeled, As for wine bottles, there are at least 3 different types of adhesives, sometimes on the same bottle. For about 2/3 of the bottles, Brandava's method works best for me. I clean up the remaining bit of adhesive with Goo-Gone, and wash the bottle in soap and water. Anymore, I'm inclined to just pitch the ones that don't heat-soften, because they are too much trouble.

When I was still cleaning beer bottles, often from friends, I'd stand them neck-up in water over the mouths in my brew kettle, add a bit of chlorine bleach, and bring to a boil. Any of the ugly stuff, including cigarette butts and mold, is disinfected and floats up out of the bottle. After the water cools a bit, the labels are fairly easy to get off, but the adhesive takes a bit more work. Most of it is a hot-melt glue that comes off warm with a scrubby.

For my own labels, printed on a color laser so they are waterproof, I use a warm solution of clear gelatin. I dip the whole label in it, and smooth it on. It's a great adhesive, and even stays on beer bottle in an ice chest/cold water, but drop the empties in a bucket of how water, and the labels just float off, and leave no adhesive.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby Bushman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:03 am

Ok I am tired of saying I am new to this forum so giving my two cents on this subject. One person mentioned using any oil base. What works great for me is to soak bottles in hot water then peel off labels. Then I rub peanut butter (oil base) and let set then just wipe off and put in dishwasher.
Bushman

Equipment type: I have a VM still with a 2" column and a keg for a boiler and a 4" CM still that runs on electric heat.

Previous

Return to Materials