• Advertisement

Stored heat bonus

If you are testing new material or old materials in a new way, tell us about it.

Stored heat bonus

Postby myles » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:46 am

I recently switched my double boiler to run with propylene glycol instead of water in the outer boiler.This has been a huge improvement in thermal transfer, heating times ets. :)

But I have noticed something else that I had not anticipated. It takes a LONG time to cool down.

I run a 7.7 ( ok lets call it 8 ) gallon boiler, that I normaly put 5-6 gallons of wash into. That sits in an outer boiler that due to pot dimensions, currently holds 3.3 gallons of propylene glycol. It could hold more. I currently have about 1/3 of my inner pot immersed in hot liquid. It never gets hot enough to boil the propylene glycol - but every now and then you hear a bubble.

To save volume I threw in 5 handsfull of 1" accross, river washed stones. It takes about 1 gallon to cover the element.

Following yesterdays cleaning cycle, I though I would check it out,

Heated the glycol to 140 degrees, did the cleaning run and swiched off.

EMPTIED my inner boiler. 5 hours later the glycol is still at 50 degrees. :8)

I need to check this out. I am thinking that it might be possible to run the system upto working heat AND TURN OFF THE POWER. It seems a good oportunity for equalising the column with no further heat input. Warm it up and switch off the element for an hour.

The stored heat may even last longer than that. It might be possible to do part of the product run without the need for further energy input. Need to investigate, but this could be usefull, :D
myles

Equipment type: Hybrid copper / stainless 35 litre pot still, with 2" reflux column option. Propylene glycol double boiler. 160 litre HDPE fermenters and mash tun.
All copper pot still "Rosie" in development.

Re: Stored heat bonus

Postby Decoy » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:14 am

you dont want to switch of the heat but you want a controller on it
because you are using a jacket you can use a normal stove type element controller
when you are distilling in an ideal situation where you have no heat loss at the insulated boiler
the heat leaves in the form of steam/vapor so by controlling the power to the double boiler
you will control your output Lph.

it will also retain the heat for a grater length of time after switching off.
Cheers
Decoy..

"Artisan Distiller" The art of making your own distillation apparatus for the
purpose of home distillation of spirits alcohol or ethanol for personal use.
Decoy

Re: Stored heat bonus

Postby myles » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:48 am

Decoy wrote:you dont want to switch of the heat but you want a controller on it
because you are using a jacket you can use a normal stove type element controller
when you are distilling in an ideal situation where you have no heat loss at the insulated boiler
the heat leaves in the form of steam/vapor so by controlling the power to the double boiler
you will control your output Lph.

it will also retain the heat for a grater length of time after switching off.

I use one of pintoshines controllers. Still havent put the proper calibrated dial on the front so it still looks like this.

I stabilise the glycol at 140 degrees on setting 9 of 12. Haven't taken it to full power yet. :shock: Worried about melt down situation. :lol:
myles

Equipment type: Hybrid copper / stainless 35 litre pot still, with 2" reflux column option. Propylene glycol double boiler. 160 litre HDPE fermenters and mash tun.
All copper pot still "Rosie" in development.

Return to Materials