• Advertisement

Charred VS. Toasted

If you are testing new material or old materials in a new way, tell us about it.

Which will win overall?

Charred
52%
Toasted
48%

Total votes : 33

Re: Charred VS. Toasted

Postby pintoshine » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:01 pm

Tomorrow we are getting the 1 week update. This is going to include a tasting. For the sake of fairness I'll be diluting to 40%
This always seems to be a good tasting ABV. I smelled each tonight and the charred has a sweetness that the toasted doesn't.
I am trying to be non-biased in this. I like the flavor of whiskey on used oak as much as I like Bourbon which is always new oak. I wouldn't be saying one is better than the other I will only report the differences. I know they are both going to be good, full flavored spirits.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby mtnwalker » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:33 pm

Fantastic. This is right up my interest alley.

One amendment if anyone does another. Do a third test. An equal amount of both. I many times will mix very heavy dark toasted chips, with med. toasted. Perhaps to get a bit of the god of both. Usually, I like more med. toast than dark toast. Just makes the color come across faster.

I also like the milder whang of Scotch and Irish over bourbon and Tenn., but also like the darker aged color. Just my personal likes.

Looking forward to the outcome. Like Punkin said, hope you save some for a longer test period.
3" X 54" SS reflux column with copper, a pot column, and a quarter and a half keg pots, propane fired.
mtnwalker

Postby pintoshine » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:01 pm

I am a week late with the update. These past two weekends have been rather hectic.
ok, let me talk about taste. I diluted both to 40%

They are both excellent for nearly flavorless sugar spirit. So both had the same time, the same temp, the same strength and all that varied was the oak treatment method.
There is only one real difference I can identify. I verified with Joy, also an excellent judge, that the only real difference is the caramel and tannin flavor. All other things seem to be nearly equal. The charred has a sweeter more burned sugar flavor. The toasted has a milder, yet less sweet, caramel flavor. As far as the tannin is concerned, there seems to be none in the toasted. This causes a finish issue for me. The balance between the bitter and sweet is a bit off.
The charred has a full flavor. Sweet on the front and a bit of bitterness on the finish. I am going to continue to contribute to these tastings from time to time.

The color in the bottles before tasting have brilliant colors.

I really don't think there will be much else added as far as color is concerned. I may be surprised. The flavor is changing though. I can't wait to see how it is in a couple of months.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

20L copper pot

Postby evilpsych » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:23 pm

ok,

What about a toasted stick like that (shocking depth of toast! (i likey) that's been charred?
I just realized that my life is a very complicated drinking game...
evilpsych

Equipment type: 15.5g Electric Keg boiler. 7.75g pony keg thumper - Simple potstill head with pinto-troller.

Postby mort4 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:47 pm

Thanks for the timely bumping of this topic :8)

gotsomestickscomingmort
Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right
mort4

Equipment type: 2"x50" copper VM, with 8" dixiedrifter reflux coil and SD torpedo.
2" potstill head, 36" liebig product condenser. Propane fired. Three plate SD bubbler.
Member of Hobby Distillers Association

Postby punkin » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:24 pm

Yeah, give us an update Pint. Bet the toasted is catching up :wink:

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby pintoshine » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:53 pm

Well, I have to admit this was one of the tastiest experiments I have done in a while. I have become a real fan of double distilled sugar wash flavored with toasted oak. The toasted oak never caught the charred as far as color was concerned. But... The vanilla and caramel and other complex combinations of flavors were unparalleled. The deep toast is a real winner. I am not giving up my charred oak for corn and rye whiskey but for rum and other delicate flavored drinks such as DWWG, toasted is the way to go. It truly gives me more opportunity for flavor variations. Winner is toasted oak with sugar liquor.
pintoshine

20L copper pot

Postby punkin » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:08 am

punkin wrote:Yeah, give us an update Pint. Bet the toasted is catching up :wink:

:wink:

Now do it with corn and barley all grain :8)

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby BlueFlame » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:56 am

pint, try mixing a blended sample 50 /50 of each and let sit over night to marry and taste it. if you think its good whiskey you may be able to get the best of both worlds in color and taste by aging on mixed charred and toasted wood. i think mikej, said he was thinking of trying that out on page one, if i read it right.
i do like your time lapsed photo shoot updates.
"somebody call me a doctor, i need a shot!"
BlueFlame

Equipment type: ss milk can "propane" with about 3' of 2" copper colume and liebeg cooler. getting ready for over haul.

Postby flasko » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:51 am

Thanks for this post Pint, great info and pics. I have had this subject on my mind lately as I try different wood flavorings, much appreciated!
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass - Martin Mull
flasko

Equipment type: 15.5 gal electric keg
5.5 gal thumper
5500w internal element
Arduino controller

Postby pintoshine » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:54 am

I went and picked up a barrel today because my stock of aging wood has nearly been depleted. I got a real nice three year old barrel used by Barton to make VOB. The price of barrels has skyrocketed. Barrels that were nearly throw aways are now going for $100. I guess that is not too bad for that much wood. I couldn't even talk the guy at Brown Foreman cooperage to give me the off fall from the heads. They stopped doing that last year hes says. Same was true with Kelvin cooperage. They wouldn't even let me near the scrap pile. What's the world coming too? I think the been watching our conversations and creating new products for the wine and spirit industry.
pintoshine

20L copper pot

Postby Rebel_Yell » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:31 pm

One of the best ways to control costs is to eliminate waste. If you can find a way to sell your waste as a product then you have increased your sales...
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Postby Mud » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:20 pm

The new(ish) corporate thought on a lot of this is that waste is just misdirected resources.

When I worked in a factory some years back they implemented a policy saying no one could remove anything from the plant. If it was valuable you were stealing, and if it was trash you were making them a garbage vendor, which they weren't licensed to do. Made for a lot of firings before labor figured out management meant it.

In the case of a barrel company...If nothing else they can sell the scrap to make wood pellets. There's a sawmill down the road that used to burn their waste. It was like the opening to hell near there, stinking and smoking all the time. Now they hock it all for wood pellets and the owner has a much nicer truck.
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby tickle » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:52 am

Bump :D

Dont suppose any of this is left over for another sip?
tickle

Equipment type: 4" 4 plate copper bubble cap. 2stage shotty precondensor, keg boiler.

Postby Bull Rider » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:21 am

Very informative thread.

I had a French Oak wine barrel that I broke down and then used a chop saw to cut the staves into 4"x4" chunks, approx. I hard char the side that was the outside of the barrel and I toast the side that was the inside, where the red wine soaked into the oak.

I toss five or six chunks into a five gallon corney keg of 62-64% UJSM that's been distilled twice, each time with a thumper, so maybe a triple distilled final product.

Put it away for up to a year and now you're talkin. Soooo much flavor. The problem is that I can not tolerate store bought whiskey anymore.

Bull.
Bull Rider

Equipment type: Kegboiler:
2"x30" copper column
36" Leibeg.

PreviousNext

Return to Materials