• Advertisement

stainless stock pot double boilers

If you are testing new material or old materials in a new way, tell us about it.

stainless stock pot double boilers

Postby myles » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:30 pm

Just a heads up for any of you that are using the really thin stainless stock pots as the inner pot in a double boiler, like myself. I recently found a crack in my inner boiler. Several months after I had built it. It had cracked next to a solder run, must be due to different expansion rates between the stainless and the silver solder.

I hardly ever took the inner pot out of the outer boiler as I run on propylene glycol, and it makes a mess. I only noticed because of an increase in steam due to the wash leaking into the outer boiler. Not much but enough to burn and colour the glycol. It will probably still be OK just a bit annoying. Heavier wall stainless will probably not be affected as much.

I am building an all copper inner pot to get round the problem. If you use the thin stainless pots it might be worth inspecting them every now and then. :)
myles

Equipment type: Hybrid copper / stainless 35 litre pot still, with 2" reflux column option. Propylene glycol double boiler. 160 litre HDPE fermenters and mash tun.
All copper pot still "Rosie" in development.

Re: stainless stock pot double boilers

Postby squidd » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:16 pm

Myles,

Could the crack be caused by the high temp glycol, soldering with gas, or both?

Did a leak and boiling water test on the stock pot iron-soldered boiler and water seal.
Not a single leak. At least not yet.

squidd
squidd

Re: stainless stock pot double boilers

Postby myles » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:52 am

squidd wrote:Myles,

Could the crack be caused by the high temp glycol, soldering with gas, or both?

Did a leak and boiling water test on the stock pot iron-soldered boiler and water seal.
Not a single leak. At least not yet.

squidd

squidd the crack was not caused during assembly. It developed after a few months of use. I only ever heated to 130 degC during use which is less than you would get with propane.

I had a drip of solder inside the stock pot on the wall, and the crack developed close to that. I think it was caused by the stainless flexing as it heated and cooled during use. The drip of solder is really hard and will not flex at all. It was a very thin cheap imported pot.

Its just a heads up to keep an eye on your thin pots to look out for cracks that develope in use.
myles

Equipment type: Hybrid copper / stainless 35 litre pot still, with 2" reflux column option. Propylene glycol double boiler. 160 litre HDPE fermenters and mash tun.
All copper pot still "Rosie" in development.

Return to Materials