• Advertisement

The Eureka Point - getting people to understand

If you are testing new material or old materials in a new way, tell us about it.

The Eureka Point - getting people to understand

Postby mikejwoodnz » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:26 pm

I'm still thinking through solar based stripping and when discussing this with non-distillers it is getting them to understand that no matter how much excess heat is applied to the "pot" the highest water temperature is dictated by the amount of alcohol in the water and not by the amount of heat applied. As the alcohol is evaporated (distilled) then the temperature rises. Conversely, therefore, they have a lot of difficulty understand that distilling alcohol can be done by a heat source below that required to boil water at a speed exceeding that of solar water evaporation. They will of course agree with the principle of the lower heat source because it sounds conceivable but then test their grasp of the principle by discussing the application of excess heat :cry: - most will try to tell you that the still will explode :doh: When they understand I call this the "Eureka Point" :idea:

What "Eureka Points" have you come across ?
My Terminal Cancer is now : maybe a little remission :-)
Equipment type: 75 litre SS "Milk Can" Pot Still, Onion Head, 1.5m Copper Liebig, SS Fermenters, AirStills . . .

Re: The Eureka Point - getting people to understand

Postby eternalfrost » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:35 pm

evacuated solar tubes can get temps well in excess of boiling points, a few hundred C IIRC. not sure what sort of power output they have off the top of my head but that would be my best bet for a solar still. rack of tubes with a jacketed glycol boiler wnd lots of insulation. then could switch it over to heat your house the rest of the time

Re: The Eureka Point - getting people to understand

Postby airhill » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:25 pm

See second item down http://mingo.info-science.uiowa.edu/~wi ... ering.html

And as to the subject of the thread getting them to understand why I cannot just flat out the product take off valve. :)
In the universe there are no absolutes; only degrees of uncertainty.
Equipment type: Baby CM
Badly designed LM
4' x 2" Bok
Soon tobe CM?

Return to Materials