• Advertisement

cooling with propane

If you are testing new material or old materials in a new way, tell us about it.

Re: cooling with propane

Postby loneswinger » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:56 pm

Propane refrigerators don't normally use propane as the refrigerant, they use ammonia dissolved in water. Burning the propane powers the cycle.

Agreed with most, the cooling effect of the propane will not offset the heat it gives off from burning it. Dipping the tank in your water bath will provide just as much cooling as any other scenario that does not involve a pump. It probably would not be enough cooling for a long run though. It would however help keep the tank from cooling too much in cold weather. I occasionally have that problem and the propane stops coming once the LP gets too cold.

-Loneswinger
We received our education in the cities of the nation, me and Paul
loneswinger

Postby M8e » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:05 pm

Just wanted to write this. Propane powered refrigerator only uses the propane to drive theabsorption cycle(boiling a water/ammonia mixture). They don't use the propanes heat capacity or enthalpy of vaporization.

:oops: to slow.
M8e

Postby Azframer » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:16 pm

Rise-N-Shine wrote:
Azframer wrote: Rise-N-Shine:ever hear of a propane refrigerator?
Yes I have my in-laws had one before they went solar,and the propane is not subjected to any heat. It is burned in pilot lite form at the bottom of the unit. It is burned off after it is ran through the unit for cooling and is not hit with a bunch of heat. Would rather be wrong about it and still be able to talk to you here than to have something bad happen to you.

the bunch of heat you speak of is less than 212*f but i said i was going to drop this for now.
as far as cooling water ... you can see by your own words that you have heating (your pilot ) and cooling (the refrigerator) at the same time . if you could put a little pot over the pilot you could make coffee and ice at the same time using 1 product.

This is the part that would be scary for me: ill bet that if you use a shell type or shot gun condenser you could plumb your LPG right through the condenser instead of water
Just the fact that you would be inducing heat to propane inside of your condenser would jack the pressure up so much that I would be afraid that soldered joints would not hold. It would be as strong as your weakest joint. Extreme pressure test it before an attempt at this. It sounds good but scary, vapor leak is one thing/ double jeopardy to me.
Friends call me Rick
Drank all night and I am still thirsty!
But I don't feel like I got to much blood in my alcyhol.
Azframer

Equipment type: 5 Gallon Pot Still, Dash1

Postby loneswinger » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:39 pm

Sbeghan wrote:Annoying I can't find any vapor pressure diagrams or charts that go over 54C for propane.

For closure:
propane.jpg
propane.jpg (23.96 KiB) Viewed 6347 times

-Loneswinger

edit: :oops: That doesn't go over 54 C, shit. Sorry.
loneswinger

Postby loneswinger » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:46 pm

The critical point of propane is 96.6 C and 42.5 bar (616 psi). You obviously won't find temp vs pressure data above the critical point.

-Loneswinger
loneswinger

Postby Sbeghan » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:31 pm

Hence the need for a 500psi pressure vessel as the condenser if you want to use liquid propane that could potentially get up to 75C. Like I said, its incredibly dangerous and pointless.

As a lot of people have said, simply submerge the propane tank in your recirc water, this will provide a very small amount of cooling to the water but more importantly, it will keep the propane flowing. Just be smart and don't let the water get too hot because the propane tanks aren't built to be heated up that much. Water has a higher heat capacity so you'll need a smaller condenser for it anyway.
If you have a big water reservoir that can cool down between runs then all you'll be paying for is the electricity to run the pump. I don't understand why you would want to look for another way to run the condenser.
Sbeghan

Postby Rise-N-Shine » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:26 pm

Rise-N-Shine wrote: im going to drop this for now as far as cooling the condenser with gas.
Rise-N-Shine

Equipment type: 15.5 Keg 2" packed column. crossflow , leibig and offset head condensers
propane fired

Postby airhill » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:13 pm

I think you'll find propane can be used as a refrigerant (R 290) .

Sorry rise and shine couldn't resist it :)
In the universe there are no absolutes; only degrees of uncertainty.
airhill

Equipment type: Baby CM
Badly designed LM
4' x 2" Bok
Soon tobe CM?

Postby Sbeghan » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:59 pm

I've actually been using propane to plumb the vapor trap for my vacuum still / drier. It'll get down to -40 if you're lucky!
Sbeghan

Postby punkin » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:56 pm

I've been running a coil of propane through my slippers to cool my feet while i watch the telly.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Sbeghan » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:02 pm

around here we need to light the propane under our feet to warm them while we watch the telly.
Sbeghan

Previous

Return to Materials