• Advertisement

assisted oaking

If you are testing new material or old materials in a new way, tell us about it.

Re: assisted oaking

Postby kiwi » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:59 pm

this seems very interesting. ultrasonic cleaners seem very reasonably priced as well.
Specialization is for insects.
kiwi

Equipment type: Pot/VM combo (thanks Punkin)

Postby airhill » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:10 pm

Kiwi

Found a link if you are registered with freepatents . Haven't read it yet but will download and check it out. http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7063867.html
In the universe there are no absolutes; only degrees of uncertainty.
airhill

Equipment type: Baby CM
Badly designed LM
4' x 2" Bok
Soon tobe CM?

Postby airhill » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:50 am

I assume no one read the patent :) as there are some "interesting" claims to say the least .

With the faux whiskey I tossed it back in the cleaner with a dessert spoon of malted rice syrup, capful of cream sherry and a peppercorn (no oak) 2x5 mins. Seems ok but I don't drink Scotch.
airhill

Badly designed LM
4' x 2" Bok
Soon tobe CM?

Postby kiwi » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:07 am

I read the patent. interesting and very bold claims indeed. I'm watching out on trademe for a cheap one :)
kiwi

Postby airhill » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:27 am

Actually I was being polite, fucking incredible was closer to my thoughts. :roflmao: :beer:
airhill

Badly designed LM
4' x 2" Bok
Soon tobe CM?

Postby kiwi » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:35 am

one went for $40 while I was umming and ahhing about it. for $40 I'm prepared to have a gamble on a long shot :)

LikeBettingOnTheWallabies :roll:
kiwi

Postby Dado » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:27 pm

Just bumping to add a micro-oxygenation link. The article is decent, best part might be the references and pointers to suppliers at the end, that can lead to a Wonderland of Googling.

http://www.practicalwinery.com/NovDec07/page1.htm

Dissertations can be a treasure-trove of deep background and contemporary references.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=we ... fTLFkDptmw
Dado

Postby ZeroGee » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:53 pm

I can't believe I missed this... Does anyone have any actual trial data? Are these things for sale? Airhill? Dado?

This looks too good to be true and would certainly solve some problems (to say the least).

Holy cow!
Age, in and of itself, does not confer wisdom.
Instead, it provides a list of mistakes you hope, profoundly, never to repeat.
ZeroGee

Equipment type: Stone & Nixon all copper 2" offset valve-head LM reflux column with a 60L SS electric boiler.

Postby Rise-N-Shine » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:47 am

would it be beneficial to age on oak in a corney keg that is pressurized with oxygen. maybe lay it on it side to expose more surface area for the o2, periodic shakings?
Rise-N-Shine

Equipment type: 15.5 Keg 2" packed column. crossflow , leibig and offset head condensers
propane fired

Postby Azframer » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:13 pm

trthskr4 wrote:Wife was calling me to eat and had to run away quickly...

Came back to say that I don't think there's a substitute for time in the oaking and aging but if we can find a way of assisting it, all the better.

I have noticed that my all grains take more time to color than the sugar/corn or anything with sugar really. Don't know why.

hank wrote:Trthskr4, I too have noticed that all grain takes more time to color that sugar, aka UJSM. I would love to know the reason behind this observation.

Violentblue wrote:thats funny, cause I did an all grain a while back and you could almost see the waves of color flowing off the sticks,
day 1 it was yellow, day 2 it was amber, within 2 weeks it was a nice whiskey brown.
my last batch of rum, after two weeks (scraped and charred used barel stave compared to the charred aging stick) it had the color that the all grain had after 2 days.

Could it be possible that it has something to do with the amount of oils in finished product. You have 3 cases here that 2 have had better results with sugar washes and one had a good result with all grain. I would tend to think that VB had better cuts with his all grain than the others. And with the short time in this would ask what type stills were used. Good solid cuts on a pot still would be better than a reflux still which if I read correctly would smear oils across the runs. I hope this does not sound stupid?
Edit= for bad spelling
Friends call me Rick
Drank all night and I am still thirsty!
But I don't feel like I got to much blood in my alcyhol.
Azframer

Equipment type: 5 Gallon Pot Still, Dash1

Postby airhill » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:24 pm

Sorry Zero I don't understand what you are asking :oops:

If its about ultrasonics, silicon chip did a circuit for a variable transducer not long ago and one of our electronics retailers (Jaycar) actually sell the kit http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.as ... rm=KEYWORD

That one is a bit pricey (but it does have a variable frequency) You can get lucky on ebay for a lot cheaper.

BTW don't put activated carbon in one the alcohol goes black and you can't get rid of it, a pity because it works.

If its about micro oxygenation haven't tried it (only o3 but don't tell Harry :roflmao: )
airhill

Badly designed LM
4' x 2" Bok
Soon tobe CM?

Postby ZeroGee » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:51 pm

Sorry, Airhill, I was referring to the ultrasonic process.

First, coloring:
Azframer wrote:Could it be possible that it has something to do with the amount of oils in finished product.
I suspect it could have much to do with how the wood is handled and the method of charring - light/medium/heavy toasted, charred or char-coaled. Chips would have more surface area by weight than sticks and might color more rapidly and some use coarse toasted sawdust - even more area by weight. I think there may be too many variables (variety/taste/color) here.

Back to the ultrasonic ---

I'm especially interested in the ultrasonic "aging." Airhill referred to the result as "fucking incredible." That's the kind of response that gets my interest.
kiwi wrote:for $40 I'm prepared to have a gamble on a long shot :)
I'm curious if he had any luck.

After reading the patent carefully, I think a couple 40W ultrasonic transducers and a linear amplifier might be relatively inexpensive way to mix flavorings, break down unwanted congeners and smooth out the taste. This would be a method to experiment with small batch flavorings without having to wait months to see if an idea worked.

Edit: Airhill, I looked at the referenced kit. A bit pricey, but I'll look around as you suggested. Many thanks!

If anyone is serious, I'll set up a new thread.
Age, in and of itself, does not confer wisdom.
Instead, it provides a list of mistakes you hope, profoundly, never to repeat.
ZeroGee

Equipment type: Stone & Nixon all copper 2" offset valve-head LM reflux column with a 60L SS electric boiler.

Postby Azframer » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:01 am

Did this puzzle get solved ZeroGee or are you still waiting?
Friends call me Rick
Drank all night and I am still thirsty!
But I don't feel like I got to much blood in my alcyhol.
Azframer

Equipment type: 5 Gallon Pot Still, Dash1

Previous

Return to Materials