• Advertisement

Is it worth making a Metal Sandwich?

If you are testing new material or old materials in a new way, tell us about it.

Is it worth making a Metal Sandwich?

Postby adama » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:46 am

I have two spun copper pots (about 50L each) that I could join together to make a boiler.
Something a little bigger than what I currently use.
The boiler will be heated with gas.

What about the idea of making the base of the boiler thicker by putting a disc of 5mm aluminium plate on the bottom and then covering that over with a (spare) sheet of copper.

In my case the materials are free – it would just be the job of tacking this “sandwich” together on the bottom of the pot.

Does anyone know if it’s worthwhile doing?

The idea is to spread the heat from the gas flame more evenly, as well as making the (seemingly thin) pot more “robust”.

(Currently I use a keg boiler connected to the VM column.)
adama

Re: Is it worth making a Metal Sandwich?

Postby myles » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:10 am

No reason not to laminate the bottom but I am not sure about your choice of materials. As you are just trying to dissipate the heat of the burner a thick copper sheet would be 1 choice - just an expensive one.

How about a spiral of copper tube (left open to atmosphere at both ends for expansion) as the filler between the 2 sheets of copper? Evem heat distribution at not too great a cost.
myles

Equipment type: Hybrid copper / stainless 35 litre pot still, with 2" reflux column option. Propylene glycol double boiler. 160 litre HDPE fermenters and mash tun.
All copper pot still "Rosie" in development.

Postby Harry » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:24 am

adama wrote:I have two spun copper pots (about 50L each) that I could join together to make a boiler.
Something a little bigger than what I currently use.
The boiler will be heated with gas.

What about the idea of making the base of the boiler thicker by putting a disc of 5mm aluminium plate on the bottom and then covering that over with a (spare) sheet of copper.

In my case the materials are free – it would just be the job of tacking this “sandwich” together on the bottom of the pot.

Does anyone know if it’s worthwhile doing?

The idea is to spread the heat from the gas flame more evenly, as well as making the (seemingly thin) pot more “robust”.

(Currently I use a keg boiler connected to the VM column.)

I wouldn't do it. Because Aluminum expands nearly one third more than copper under changing temperatures (Coefficients of Linear Thermal Expansion). Simpler just to place your Al plate on the burner and put your pot on top. Then it's a diffuser plate setup and won't warp the copper.

HTH

Slainte!
regards Harry
Harry

Equipment type: 25 Lt 1500W elec. boiler, 2" x 40" packed column VM, x-flow O/head HX, crimp-path Liebig HX, VM proportioning valve, all in copper.
Various experimental gear.

Postby adama » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:40 am

How about a spiral of copper tube (left open to atmosphere at both ends for expansion) as the filler between the 2 sheets of copper?
Great idea myles and dead-set easy to do.
Simpler just to place your Al plate on the burner and put your pot on top. Then it's a diffuser plate setup and won't warp the copper.
Thanks Harry that too makes a lot of sense.

I guess I was getting "hooked-up" with the design of some pots 'n' pans in the kitchen.
They're s/s; some have a lick of copper on the bottom; others are said to have aluminium between layers of s/s.

Thanks guys ~ you've made it much simpler for me. :)

Regards
adama

Postby zedzedtop » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:18 am

I wouldn't mess around with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hume-Rothery_rules

You have the same lattice structure (fcc) but not the lattice spacing, plus there is the need to prevent any bonding with oxygen, which would be a bitch with the Al. Did a whole seminar once on the process that all-clad uses in their cooking pots. It's tricky. You've already got the copper with the high conductivity, so your best bet might be to make the copper thicker. Diffusing the flame would have a similar effect - I'd go that route. If diffusing the thermal gradient is still a concern, go for a mineral oil or glycol bath.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby adama » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:29 pm

Thanks zedzedtop.
For this "relux boiler" I'll just go with a coil of copper pipe on the base and see how I go with, and without an ally diffuser plate on the gas jet.

(the strip boiler however is all about a glycol bath)
adama

Postby Soldat Louis » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:21 am

Take care that aluminium + copper is a good start for electrolytic corrosion !
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one.
Soldat Louis

Equipment type: 60l all copper pot + liebig
Boka in progres

Return to Materials