• Advertisement

vapor expansion sphere for pot or "flute" type

If you are testing new material or old materials in a new way, tell us about it.

vapor expansion sphere for pot or "flute" type

Postby beyaz_kopek » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:56 pm

I'm not going to make a picture, because it's a simple concept. An 8" copper sphere, with a 2" tri-clover ferrule welded on one side, a 3" ferrule welded on the other. Holes cut to ferrule size. This is to simulate the supposed effect of an alembic type still in separation of vapors. This could be used at the base of a potstill, or below or above a 4" bubble plate column (thinking under it, but might as well experiment).
The 2" and 3" sized ferrules are based on a couple of things, the first being all of my boilers have 2" ferrules. It also allows for a reversable design to test which way works better.
Main consideration on this currently is if a 2" and 4" ferrule would be better.
Product being fruit or grain mash. Some boiled on grain and fruit (could only imagine doing those in a staight forward potstill (no plate column as I can't imagine being able to put enough heat in a fruit or grain filled slurry to operate), some separated and done as wine/beer.
beyaz_kopek

Equipment type: Pot - sometimes plated variations, but prefer the flavor of simple.

Re: vapor expansion sphere for pot or "flute" type

Postby prairiepiss » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:08 pm

I thought about doing that with mine but I went a different route. And I'm glad I did.
1339380400-picsay.jpg
1339380400-picsay.jpg (22.71 KiB) Viewed 5216 times

1339385405-picsay.jpg
1339385405-picsay.jpg (50.34 KiB) Viewed 5216 times
prairiepiss

Equipment type: 15.5 gal keg boiler with 2 5500w 220v elements. Now running 220v Stilldragon controller on one element.
30" X 2" Pot Still CM modular combo column.
16" X 3" shotgun condenser 5 1/2" X 11" and 4 1/4" X 11" tubes and built in gin basket.
8" bubble ball addition named Fu Man.

Postby jung4g » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:26 am

That's a nice looking bubble ball!

Beyaz, I've been picturing the same thing. 8" copper sphere made of 2 hemispheres with a lip so you could seal it with a 8" triclamp for cleaning and to keep it open for other uses (like a filler funnel?) and with triclamps openings (sized to application).

I ran into http://www.acmemetalspinning.com/ for a recent work project, and they spin copper, and it looks like they would have no issue creating the hemisphere with lips for the 8" triclamp so we'd just need to add the proper end fittings. If a sphere isn't the right shape for best effect, they could essentially make any shape that doesn't bulge back out since they wouldn't be able to get the tooling out.
jung4g

Postby beyaz_kopek » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:51 pm

That's an amazing looking bubble ball, and funny too.

I'm guessing this should be in the pot still forum.

Here is what I have, it is to test vapor expansion theories.
I didn't think when I ordered it, it is two hemispheres soldered together. The person that welded the ferrules on first did about 10 small welds around the seam so it wouldn't fall apart when it got to glowing red under the TIG tourch.
Attachments
sphere.JPG
4" ferrule and 2" ferrule on sphere.
sphere.JPG (86.66 KiB) Viewed 4927 times
beyaz_kopek

Equipment type: Pot - sometimes plated variations, but prefer the flavor of simple.

Postby Dan P. » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:02 pm

I'm not very familiar with this type still, but I think constriction and expansion of the vapour are important for the effective running of a pot still. I se a lot of pot stills that are just a boiler with a pipe. I think the vapour should be given as much opportunity to relax and reflux as it can. And also the opportunity to not puke.
Dan P.

Equipment type: pot still

Return to Materials