• Advertisement

Self-Plating Element

If you are testing new material or old materials in a new way, tell us about it.

Self-Plating Element

Postby Cap'n Canuck » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:45 pm

So, I pulled the 1500w element out of the keg the other day to replace it with the 5500w one, and discovered that it had self-plated itself in copper. I can't say that I've seen that happen before, but that said, the element hasn't been out of the keg since I put it in, so that's not surprising that I haven't seen it before. :)

self-plating.jpg

Of course, looking at the mesh that I pulled out at the end of a spirit run the other day, it sorta makes sense. It's got to go somewhere, I figure, but I wasn't expecting it to plate the element.. :)

mesh.jpg

Poor, poor copper. It gave it's all.

copper.jpg
Cap'n Canuck

Re: Self-Plating Element

Postby desert rat » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:26 am

Thats pretty neat. It should help with sulfide issues as well.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what makes you happy.
desert rat

Equipment type: 4" four plate bubblecap bubbler with 20 gal boiler. 6gal all copper pot with thump.

Postby Swede » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:06 am

Self plating? I wonder if the sliver colored nickel or chromium (whatever it is) coating was eroded off the element by the acidic nature of the boiler charge...

As far as I know (and I could be wrong here) most element casings are copper and all that happened was the heat and acid caused the silver colored coating of the element to erode/corrode off and leave you with a shiny copper specimen. Could you try lightly sanding off the copper looking area and seeing if there is the same silver colored coating under it that the original element looked like?

I'm truly curious about this.

Cheers
Swede

Equipment type: 9000w 30gal electric double boiler with jacket generated direct steam injection/PWM controller with PID temp control for automated shutdown, column temp monitoring, and mash-in-pot, 4" Stainless 4 Tray bubble cap/wier type downcomer column

Postby punkin » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:25 pm

What swede says is right. The elements are made from copper and then coated in nickel or incolloy or some other coating. Looks like you have lost your coating, it will still be fine though.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Cap'n Canuck » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:35 pm

Swede wrote:Self plating? I wonder if the sliver colored nickel or chromium (whatever it is) coating was eroded off the element by the acidic nature of the boiler charge...

As far as I know (and I could be wrong here) most element casings are copper and all that happened was the heat and acid caused the silver colored coating of the element to erode/corrode off and leave you with a shiny copper specimen. Could you try lightly sanding off the copper looking area and seeing if there is the same silver colored coating under it that the original element looked like?

I'm truly curious about this.

Cheers

You sir would seem to be correct.

From the manufacturer's webpage: Made of copper tubing with magnesium oxide and nickel plating. UL listed for the USA and Canada. 1 year limited warranty. High watt density.

sanded.jpg

Yup. Sanding it just made it shinier, and a little scratchy..

Bummer. I was hoping that I had found a free way to suspend stuff in the kettle, and come out with pretty copper stuff. :lol:

Nah, I was just surprised that it went in silver, and came out copper. I never even though to check what the coating was made from.
Cap'n Canuck

Postby Cap'n Canuck » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:37 pm

punkin wrote:What swede says is right. The elements are made from copper and then coated in nickel or incolloy or some other coating. Looks like you have lost your coating, it will still be fine though.

Yup. Still surprised that it got eaten off though.. I've never tried to measure the PH of a wash.. How acidic is it normally?
Cap'n Canuck

Postby zedzedtop » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:48 pm

3.5 - 5 or so hopefully
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby punkin » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:03 pm

Backset is very acidic, i use it to clean copper back to shiny after working it with flame. Just drop the copper pieces in a bucket of hot backset and leave overnight.

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Cap'n Canuck » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:24 pm

punkin wrote:Backset is very acidic, i use it to clean copper back to shiny after working it with flame. Just drop the copper pieces in a bucket of hot backset and leave overnight.

Crap, if it'll eat the coating off an element, it must be.. I would never have thought. I wonder how it compares to coke for cleaning tarnished metals. :)
Cap'n Canuck

Postby punkin » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:26 pm

One way to find out.

punkin

Postby dad300 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:47 pm

Now tell him why his copper scrubbies erode.
dad300

Equipment type: CCVM any size...

Postby punkin » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:09 pm

dad300 wrote:Now tell him why his copper scrubbies erode.

Small Gremilns and Imps suck them while you are asleep. They can't get trace elements from their normal food in this dimension.

Don'tAskWhatTheirNormalFoodIsPunkin

punkin

Postby Cap'n Canuck » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:59 pm

Not them damn gremlins again.. Grr.. Time to get out the non-humane critter traps.. I thought they learned their lesson last time.. :ranting:
Cap'n Canuck

Postby Smaug » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:00 pm

punkin wrote:
dad300 wrote:Now tell him why his copper scrubbies erode.

Small Gremilns and Imps suck them while you are asleep. They can't get trace elements from their normal food in this dimension.

Don'tAskWhatTheirNormalFoodIsPunkin

Retard..........No offense intended.
Smaug

Equipment type: If I'm being honest,,,,the entire StillDragon arsenal

Postby Cap'n Canuck » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:05 pm

I dunno.. I rather prefer imps and gremlins to sulfur compounds reacting with copper to make copper sulfates and precipitating out into the wash. Less boring, and it's not like anything can be done to change either.. :)
Cap'n Canuck

Next

Return to Materials