• Advertisement

Induction heating

If you are testing new material or old materials in a new way, tell us about it.

Re: Induction heating

Postby Mud » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:32 am

I was recently told that immersion elements are considered 99% efficient. Induction would, of course, offer a huge benefit over direct fire efficiency.
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby Kapea » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:17 am

Not necessarily. If you have solar power for electricity, using propane to direct fire your boiler gives you a whole lot more flexibilty. Resistance heating is a pretty wasteful use of solar generation.

If you could direct the sunlight to direct fire your boiler you would see a significant increase in efficiency, but you still would be limited to six hours on sunny days, at best.
Kapea

Equipment type: 50mm x 1250mm copper & stainless VM column
50mm copper & stainless pot still
Modular multi-plate 4" bubbler

Postby Mud » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:27 am

I was just thinking of how much heat blows by the outside of the pot vs having a submerged source. Can you explain what difference solar generation makes to the efficiency of resistance?
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby Kapea » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:40 am

The sunlight is converted to electricity. Electricity is converted to chemical energy and stored in batteries. Chemical reaction converts chemical energy to DC current. Inverters convert DC to AC. AC current is converted to heat by electrical resistance in the emersion element. Energy is lost at each conversion. If you get 40% efficiency (60% loss) at each conversion point you are doing good. 99% of the heat generated by the emersion element is transferred to the wash, but you gave up a lot to get it there.

If you use the energy on a sunny day (and have enough solar panels) you can bypass the battery part for a few hours of your run. A DC immersion element would eliminate current conversion losses.

You could capture the sunlight by heating a working fluid, like what a solar water heater does.

Or use large solar collectors to concentrate the sunlight directly on the boiler. That would be the most efficient way, but it would be a bitch to control heat input (clouds, sun angle...).

Its all doable, but a system made from a propane fired Bayou Classic and a beer keg boiler is a marvel of simplicity by comparison.
Kapea

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:15 pm

You sunbelt fellas get pretty cocky, talking about all the solar energy this, and photovoltaic that, but it these parts we can go days without noticing a photon that looks capturable.

You're right on with the keg and Bayou Classic, however, but I've got to rebuild the burner housing to support a hot-gas shroud for the keg's lower sides, both to capture more energy to boil wash, and to keep from melting soft parts (like me!) farther up the side of the still. Maybe I could then have some insulation without setting fire to it.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby Kapea » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:21 pm

A cut up galvanized washtub, turned upside down and wrapped around the keg makes a great shround. You can increase your propane fired efficieny significantly that way (no photons required).
Kapea

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:19 pm

Yup, that's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, but until I build or modify a support for it. it'll kinda fall down around that Bayou Classic's ankles.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

Zymurgy Bob

Postby Kapea » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:10 pm

Skirt the burner too. Prop the skirt up with firebricks. Gives 3" of clearance for air to get in.
Kapea

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:13 am

Kapea wrote:Skirt the burner too. Prop the skirt up with firebricks. Gives 3" of clearance for air to get in.

Actually, the burner's already skirted. I'm still just learning how to deal with all this additional power, which I love.

Zymurgy Bob

Previous

Return to Materials