• Advertisement

Experimental Solar Still Set-up

If you are testing new material or old materials in a new way, tell us about it.

Experimental Solar Still Set-up

Postby rbdisltill » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:07 pm

I have an interest in a solar still, so I am going to build one.

I built a pressure cooker still sometime ago, so I will just spray paint it black to absorb heat rather then to reflect it. I purchased a vehicle sun shade for its reflective properties. I have metal wire to raise still above the surface to increase heat circulation. All that remains is a large oven bag to place my still. I will use my air cooled condenser and a fan to cool my distillate.

Since this is an experiment, I will use this still to evaporate water. I want to make Barley wine that is at least 15% abv, but using straight barley malt will only give me 7 or 8 percent abv. This means I need to concentrate my tea before fermenting, and that requires extracting water.

Solar stills can reach 350 F in minutes, so it should not take long to boil off 50% of the water from each batch of tea. Once my malted barley tea is ready to ferment, I will experiment with ways of controlling solar still temperatures. Even though I am looking at boiling water at this time, this has great potential for distilling spirits if temperatures can be controlled better. (A still can't explode if there is no flame or spark.) If anything, a solar still should be great for a spirit run. :beer:

Re: Experimental Solar Still Set-up

Postby punkin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:36 pm

Don't forget the tinfoil for your hat.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand

Postby dad300 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:43 pm

There are posts about successful solar stills.

On a small scale, I had a glass in glass one that worked. By worked I mean it made alcohol. Not good drink, but alcohol. I had a dark green wine bottle inside a tall clear glass jar. The alcohol distilled from the wine bottle to the clear glass jar and collected in the bottom.

For most, it seemed the reflectors were more important than the vessel. Next was time exposed to sun. The idea of the glass, it heats quickly. It may take a while to get a heavy metal vessel to temp.

Looking forward to your reports.
Equipment type: CCVM any size...

Postby okie » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:10 am

SO do you call the likker Sunshine because you ain't making Moonshine. :roflmao:
Never Trust a Man That Doesn't Drink

Postby just sayin' » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:28 am

"Sunshine"-at dares funny, I don't care who you are.

I think if you are building at small solar still losing the fan would be a good goal unless it is solar as well. My thinking is off the grid should be off the grid.

If you are planning to drink you product, keep your beer at natural strength, yeast will be happier and will not pollute you drink with as many nasty by produces.
just sayin'

Return to Materials