• Advertisement

DuPont Spa Care Defoamer

If you are combining substance for the sake of looking into different properties, Tells about you approach and findings.

DuPont Spa Care Defoamer

Postby Sbeghan » Tue May 17, 2011 9:57 pm

US People:
Today I was in the brew shop and saw a tiny bottle of defoamer, looked like milk - silicone emulsion. I remember previous talk of using silicone oil or emulsion to keep down foam. Later I was in Lowes and saw that they had some stuff in the pond section on sale. One of which was DuPont Spa Care Defoamer. 20% silicone emulsion & water. No smell, no taste. I'll try a squirt of this in my next batch of wheat bran and let you know if it works.
Oh, and it was $3 for 1qt. Should last me a while.
Sbeghan

Re: DuPont Spa Care Defoamer

Postby Brewmaker » Sun May 29, 2011 10:34 am

It shouldn't take much, just a couple drops per gallon. I was reading you can use a defoamer during fermentation and not have the blow off problems a lot of folks had with the DWWG. I recycle a lot of beer. Puking is a big problem if I forget to add a defoamer, so I'm curious how this works for you.

Good find!
Give a man a beer, he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, he'll waste a lifetime.
Brewmaker

Postby Sbeghan » Sun May 29, 2011 10:53 am

Well, I had the opportunity to use this when I made a wheat bran wash.
Boiling a box of wheaties in 3 L of water with a squirt of the defoamer resulted in no foam. Fermenting it with a strong ferment and another squirt resulted in no foam again, except for a small cap of floaty bits which was trapping some bubbles.
If wheat bran is known for foaming then I can say that this absolutely does work.
Sbeghan

Postby jake_leg » Sun May 29, 2011 11:34 am

Any nasties in the MSDS?
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby Swede » Sun May 29, 2011 12:45 pm

jake_leg wrote:Any nasties in the MSDS?

Here is an MSDS for a local brand of defoamer, http://skylineadvantage.com/pages/MSDS/ ... 732424.PDF
Swede

Equipment type: 9000w 30gal electric double boiler with jacket generated direct steam injection/PWM controller with PID temp control for automated shutdown, column temp monitoring, and mash-in-pot, 4" Stainless 4 Tray bubble cap/wier type downcomer column

Postby pintoshine » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:14 am

wow, i'll add that to my cots(consumer off the shelf) list of things of products that distilleries have available to them for a startup,
ph up and anti foam are great additions.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby terceslil » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:01 pm

The link above to the MSDS sheet no longer works, so here is a new link.
“If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so.”
-Thomas Jefferson

Download Distiller Notebook w/calculators
terceslil

Postby grunger » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:13 pm

Usually when I add softener to my hot tub I will get some foam if the jets are on.
About 20 of defoamer will fix up a 1400L tub.
I'm not buying and I'm not selling.
grunger

Equipment type: Potstill 50L keg

Postby Al Qaemist » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:13 pm

I normally use the still spirits defoamer when doing a rum strip (when not saving the Dunder.) it lets me squeeze more into the boiler without it puking.
I use about 5ml per keg full.
devoted to the study of using your brain to squeeze the most out of the one and only life you will ever get, even if you have to wash it regularly in lukewarm Scotch.
Al Qaemist

Equipment type: SPP packed VM/LM combo, 64mm Proportional Splitter, stripper, 3Kw 11imp Gal Keg.
30L 1800w Gin still.
PWM controller, bubble ball
Spotty cape and crash helmet.

Postby jake_leg » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:08 pm

I use a couple of drops of simeticone in foamy wash like molasses. You get it for babies with gassy stomachs. For me it works as well as using lots of oil and a lot better than boiling stones.
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Return to Substances