• Advertisement

Acids ?

If you are combining substance for the sake of looking into different properties, Tells about you approach and findings.

Acids ?

Postby 777 seas » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:52 pm

I have a source for sulfuric acid and hydrofluoric acid. Any good applications of these aside of cleaning metal really well.
777 seas

Re: Acids ?

Postby Rebel_Yell » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:24 pm

I would not have the hydrofluoric acid anywhere near my family. Just my .02
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Postby PopSkull » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:05 pm

Yeah, stay away from HF - very nasty.

I like staying with low concentration acetic and HCl, but I suppose as I gain experience I might consider some stronger acids.
PopSkull

Equipment type: 5 gallon boiler, 1" pot still

Postby manu de hanoi » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:02 am

isnt the HF acid the thing that penetrates flesh causing a chain reaction or something and wont stop till it reaches the bone ?

Been using strong acids for a while and they always splash, always drip on the bottle wall. I always end up with sulfuric acid on my hands no matter what (tastes like lemon juice). I always have to rinse my hands every manipulation.

So unless you need to etch or dissolve glass then no HF :
"Hydrogen fluoride gas is a severe poison that may immediately and permanently damage lungs and the corneas of the eyes. Aqueous hydrofluoric acid is a contact-poison with the potential for deep, initially painless burns and ensuing tissue death. By interfering with body calcium metabolism, the concentrated acid may also cause systemic toxicity and eventual cardiac arrest and fatality, after contact with as little as 160 cm2 (25 square inches) of skin."

For sulfuric acid, it is convenient for adjusting the pH of large batches. Use rubber gloves, well aerated area, because if some good amount gets on the table /floor you wont be able to breathe in the room to clean the mess (that was last week) and pour acid in water slowly, never the opposite (or it will burst in your face). Then remove the gloves and wash your hands.

If you mix acid with anything (and if you mix 2 chemicals in general), never ever screw the cap of the bottle, the gas reaction will make the bottle explode . I ended in the emergency room when I was 20 because of that. The nurse inquired about the chemicals, she was relieved it wasnt a base nor Hydrofluoric. Then she looked a my red face (after stitching my thumb and forearm ) and said "you've got a nice acid tan". I am lucky the big glass shrapnel hit my forearm and only a small ones hit my face and chest, also lucky no nerve was cut in the thumb. These make nasty wounds not the clean scars you see in the movies....

PS: I was lucky my mother went home soon afterward to drive me to the hostpital. The bathroom looked like an horror movie, and nothing would stick to the forearm wound because it was bleeding so much
manu de hanoi

Equipment type: http://www.stainlessstuff.net

Postby Kapea » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:24 am

You can use the sulfuric for cooling tower pH contol, or regenerating cation exchange resin.

Careful. The sulfuric is a diprotic acid. It carries a double wammy.
Kapea

Equipment type: 50mm x 1250mm copper & stainless VM column
50mm copper & stainless pot still
Modular multi-plate 4" bubbler

Postby jake_leg » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:45 am

Edit, sorry off topic.
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby 777 seas » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:40 pm

The source of HF is less than 12% but no doubt caustic as hell. as for the sulfuric less than 10%. In any case sounds like maybe I use it strictly for cleaning as it works remarkably well for preping aluminum when mig welding. Works well on SS as well so me thinks I'll just leave it at that.
777 seas

Postby Doc2862 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:15 am

I wouldnt fool with HF acid - It can cause a violent reaction even if it contacts kitty litter..
Every dog has it's day - And good dogs get two!
Doc2862

Equipment type: 8 quart pressure cooker/pot still with recirculating water cooled worm. (For now) ;)

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:54 am

Doc2862 wrote:I wouldnt fool with HF acid - It can cause a violent reaction even if it contacts kitty litter..

Now there's something I would have never thought to try! Or do you have a very toxic kitty? :roflmao:
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby manu de hanoi » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:15 pm

kitty litter is mostly calcium carbonate, any strong acid would react violently
manu de hanoi

Equipment type: http://www.stainlessstuff.net

Postby jake_leg » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:22 am

thought it was fullers earth i.e. clay
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby Doc2862 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:05 am

Zymurgy Bob wrote:
Doc2862 wrote:I wouldnt fool with HF acid - It can cause a violent reaction even if it contacts kitty litter..

Now there's something I would have never thought to try! Or do you have a very toxic kitty? :roflmao:

At times, you'd think so, Bob LOL :barf:
Every dog has it's day - And good dogs get two!
Doc2862

Equipment type: 8 quart pressure cooker/pot still with recirculating water cooled worm. (For now) ;)

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:36 am

jake_leg wrote:thought it was fullers earth i.e. clay

Well, at least some of it used to be clay, which is why reacting with HF caught my attention.

I guess I dunno about modern kitty litter.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Return to Substances