• Advertisement

Open Pollinated corn comparison

If you are combining substance for the sake of looking into different properties, Tells about you approach and findings.

Open Pollinated corn comparison

Postby abardente » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:01 pm

20140320_161046.jpg

These are 2 varieties of open pollinated corn, the one on the left is a new variety called Dublin, as in Dublin, Ontario, where it was developed, and on the right we have Wapsie Valley which is more well known and used by a few different distilleries in New York State. I just dumped a heaping tablespoon of each into boiling water there.

The Dublin smells a little sweeter, the Wapsie is more subtle. What's really interesting is how the Wapsie tends to stay suspended while the Dublin doesn't and it was also harder to get mixed in, you can still see clumps even though I put more effort into mixing that one. I wonder if that tendency to sink to the bottom like that would make it easier to sparge/filter out?
abardente

Re: Open Pollinated corn comparison

Postby zedzedtop » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:20 am

Why not mash a few lbs of each in the same manner and then taste the wort?
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Re: Open Pollinated corn comparison

Postby abardente » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:29 am

zedzedtop wrote:Why not mash a few lbs of each in the same manner and then taste the wort?

Yeah that's the next step, after I malt it. I know the Wapsie works well and tastes good, this is just about seeing if the Dublin is a good alternative, or maybe even better.
abardente

Return to Substances