• Advertisement

Dunder pit experiment

If you are combining substance for the sake of looking into different properties, Tells about you approach and findings.

Re: Dunder pit experiment

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:45 pm

punkin wrote:
But you know my views anyway. :mg: :barf:

Yup, and I'm proud of ya, holding back that gag reflex so's you could talk with a mess of dunder-splashers. :roflmao:
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby Mud » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:53 pm

I've nothing of substance to contribute but am reading with interest. Way to go getting some sugar cane. :8)
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby Harry » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:56 pm

[quote="Zymurgy Bob"}If it's not terribly expensive, I can see a lot of rum stillers might be interested in such an assay. Like me.[/quote]

+1.
'nother thing...If you really want to improve rum products, start thinking esterification. :)

Slainte!
regards Harry
http://distillers.tastylime.net/

Winning the hearts & minds; one post at a time.
(you will be assimilated. resistance is futile.)
Harry

Equipment type: 25 Lt 1500W elec. boiler, 2" x 40" packed column VM, x-flow O/head HX, crimp-path Liebig HX, VM proportioning valve, all in copper.
Various experimental gear.

Postby kekedog13 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:39 pm

Stupid question here. A dunder pit is a container of rum backset ? And you let it set to get moldy ? And then use it in a new batch like you do with backset in a sour mash whiskey mash ? OOPS that's 3 questions.
Yahoo Mountain Dew! It'll tickle you're innards!
kekedog13

Equipment type: 15.5 gallon keg, LM/VM T-Boka on top of a 38" X 2" column,32" Liebig

Postby punkin » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:56 pm

one answer. Yes.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby brantoken » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:22 pm

just started fooling with rum trying to get some courage up, but guys that sounds darned scary...What is really funny is that I just got back from the Caribbean, wife wanted to do a cruise. Man that jungle in Honduras and Belize is super funky.....I cannot imagine all the biologicals skulking about. I went to Jungle training in Panama years ago and a scratch gets infected in about an hour. It defies my imagination. Ya know what that jungle is still funky and in my opinion , the Mayans built the temple pyramids to try to get some relief from damn jungle.... I would guess dunder would vary from location to location.
even so I will be working on courage to do it here in the south east. You guys are fearless... or maybe the CDC is too close to home....
Parental Digression Advised
TV
MA
SLV
brantoken

Equipment type: 3 inch ,Vm, Hybrid pot and Vacuum convertible electric modular still.
10.5Kw is nice.

Postby Stoney » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:57 am

My dunder is about 4 or 5 months old, it had a 2 inch thick mould layer last time I looked about 6 weeks ago, had a peek today and the mould is entirely gone but there were hundreds of the biggest maggots I have ever seen swimming in it, on the lid and up the sides.
Gave the lid to the chooks to clean up, they loved it.
Its an a plastic 60 litre rubbish bin (new) and figured if I left the lid on then some sort of fly is going to livve its life cycle in there so ran a sieve through and pulled out 95% of them .. again, the chooks think I am a top bloke and molasses flavoured maggots are their new favourite thing.
Have I left it too long or is it just coming good ?
Stoney

Equipment type: 2000W Electric keg and propane keg, basic 50mm copper pot column, 35mm copper nixon stone. ally pressure cooker with worm for macerations.

Postby RandyMarshCT » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:28 am

I'm keen on experimentation, but the maggots would be a deal breaker for me. However, I'm pretty new to this dunder thing. I keep mine covered with coffee filters.

Punkin, what do you think? :roflmao:
The same RandyMarshCT from AD, HD, ADI forums, ARC-forum, Moderndistiller, & Brewhaus.

Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org
RandyMarshCT

Equipment type: .
26 Gallon Boiler

3" potstill w/ liebig

4" 4-plate Flute (perf)

3" Offset Crossflow VM/LM Hybrid (under construction)

Postby Harry » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:52 am

Stoney wrote:My dunder is about 4 or 5 months old, it had a 2 inch thick mould layer last time I looked about 6 weeks ago, had a peek today and the mould is entirely gone but there were hundreds of the biggest maggots I have ever seen swimming in it, on the lid and up the sides.
Gave the lid to the chooks to clean up, they loved it.
Its an a plastic 60 litre rubbish bin (new) and figured if I left the lid on then some sort of fly is going to livve its life cycle in there so ran a sieve through and pulled out 95% of them .. again, the chooks think I am a top bloke and molasses flavoured maggots are their new favourite thing.
Have I left it too long or is it just coming good ?

Did the grubs look like this?.. :)

Slainte!
regards Harry
http://distillers.tastylime.net/

Winning the hearts & minds; one post at a time.
(you will be assimilated. resistance is futile.)
Harry

Equipment type: 25 Lt 1500W elec. boiler, 2" x 40" packed column VM, x-flow O/head HX, crimp-path Liebig HX, VM proportioning valve, all in copper.
Various experimental gear.

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:45 pm

Damn! I've made some bad jokes about my dunder getting up and walking away, but I always thought I was joking. :roflmao:

Seriously (if that's possible), whatever laid those eggs, should just be carrying your local microbiota, and that's what the original Caribbean dunder was all about, so I think you should be ok for rum (all boiled and vaporized, dontcha know), but if you're feeling delicate, you might stretch some screen across the top. Fabric-store tulle (pronounced "tool") is cheap and works well.

...and don't anyone ask Punkin. :!:
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby brantoken » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:51 pm

Ok ugh... how do you know when dunder has gone bad?
Parental Digression Advised
TV
MA
SLV
brantoken

Equipment type: 3 inch ,Vm, Hybrid pot and Vacuum convertible electric modular still.
10.5Kw is nice.

Postby dad300 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:07 pm

Ha...when it goes bad it's just gettin good!

I tried and the smell made me stop.

Now I take the backset from a lot of things, labeled, put it in ziplok bags and straight into the freezer. When starting a new ferment, I drop a bag or two in while cooling. Nutes, dead yeast and stuff for free...
dad300

Equipment type: CCVM any size...

Postby RandyMarshCT » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:29 pm

Dad, that's a great idea for cooling down to ferment temps. I couldn't do it with bourbon because I need the backset to lower my ph for mashing, but it's perfect for rum.
The same RandyMarshCT from AD, HD, ADI forums, ARC-forum, Moderndistiller, & Brewhaus.

Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

RandyMarshCT

26 Gallon Boiler

3" potstill w/ liebig

4" 4-plate Flute (perf)

Postby Smaug » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:37 pm

IMO it should not smell bad at all.

The mold structure does not need much oxygen at all so I lock mine down to keep the flys out.
During the summer months I can grow a mold structure in about two weeks. So I aerate and lock it down tight. Within two weeks the dunder is wonderfully floral with hints of chocolate and very sparkly clean . Not at all earthy or musky.

Without locking down I always get a larva infestation and the dunder ends up smelling very foul without fail.
Smaug

Equipment type: If I'm being honest,,,,the entire StillDragon arsenal

Postby RandyMarshCT » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:11 pm

I haven't had any infestation, but it's been about 0 to 30 Degrees F outside here for the past month. Once I combine all my jars into a jerry can with more backset I will probably cover with a coffee filter for a week or 2 and then lock it down. It smells very fresh and minty. If it wasn't for the layer of mold on top I'd be tempted to taste it.

Question: When I transfer to a 5 gallon container, should I add any sugar at all? I have a few pounds of raw cane sugar left from my trip to the islands. I added a small pinch to each of the jars, but not even enough to change the Sg reading.

RandyMarshCT

26 Gallon Boiler

3" potstill w/ liebig

4" 4-plate Flute (perf)

PreviousNext

Return to Substances