• Advertisement

3" VM Column

These usually have the means for returning the spirits to the column and usually allow metering of the take off to help in the reflux.

Re: 3" VM Column

Postby thepatchworkdoll » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:43 pm

Hi Fs
How you doing . Ive already got the SPP but may at some point in time have a go with your suggested scoria. Always love to hear what others are up to and share thoughts. Speak to you later.
Regards
Patch
thepatchworkdoll

Equipment type: 1500 x 54 coppper column packed with SPP, VM Proportional Splitting Head on 50 ltr keg. 4 plate 4" Bubble Cap on 50 ltr keg. 2" Standard Pot Still on 50 ltr keg.

Postby Casper » Tue May 02, 2017 8:21 am

I have been here just a year or do, moved from 2" copper boka to Dads 3" (72mm) SS T
Made a 60" column on 50qt keg packed worth SS mash rolled tight.
Too tall to manage, and 92% at bes, working down to 87% at tails. I never managed to flood for a liquid bed, more power drops my ABV
But it does give good rum and whiskey, heads are suppressed and each quart of hearts hold a good flavour, sweet and moving from floral to liquorice.
I mostly run rum and whiskey so maybe around 90% is more than good?
Do I need to flood above 20%.... and how do I get above 92%abv?
So I changed column height and packing to see if I can get shorter with better product.

Experiments:
Shortened column to 39" same result
Changed packing: I collected basalt beach pebbles (marbles) and graded them into 3 sizes: 6mm 12mm 18mm

The 6mm flooded too easily at low power. I think the spaces are too densely packed because the smoothe pebbles are not uniform
12mm floods above 1kW
18mm pebbles take between 2-3kw to flood, feels back in control now.
But results are very disappointing. There is no suppression of heads, hearts are heavily smeared, and strangely foreshots just leaked out like pre-cum, cold drops with RC coil fully inserted they could not be stopped unless I turned power to minimum. And oddly there was smoke too, this is a rum run and the smoke smelled of good rum oils.

Not a happy bunny. What to do?
Has anyone tried 16mm glass marbles?
I did the pebble trial to discover if the 1/12th rule applies. That would be tiny 6mm shot. If my pebbles are true then the 12th rule may not apply to glass balls or scoria??
Casper

Equipment type: 36l ss stripping pot indoors on gas
55l beer keg for reflux or potstill spirit runs.
CCVM head (70mm SS tee and csst coils)
3" column 30" of copper, top half 30" in SS

Postby Swedish Pride » Tue May 02, 2017 8:50 am

read that some find a packed column works better on a thumper.
kegjam on hd has a bubble ball under his column and works good to stabilize it.

might be worth your while to try on top of plates even?
I only have two plates but get 90%, when one drains towards the end it drops to 80% so in theosy you could have 80% with just one plate and then your packed column on top to bring it the last bit towards aezo?
Swedish Pride

Postby Casper » Tue May 02, 2017 11:09 am

A thumper on a reflux column?? On this forum my brain gets pushed beyond its wee horizons.
(BTW I am still trying to negotiate that Polish speaking site, they sell SPP cheap too, as well as enzymes!)

I had just lit up with same setup as before plus a foot of 2" copper packed with copper mesh, in response to Dad's concerns about column velocity at the neck. This will explore if his problem was the narrow gate causing surges. For me it will also explore more of how my new column works. I do get leaks that flour paste don't seal, but I thought to isolate the flood section above open draining mesh to see if the increased velocity at the neck will sustain flooding.
Having said that, I've been working on my potstill strip by adding a Y. This allows me to seal on the lid, top up or empty during the run, cap or add RC, and extend my lyne arm which can be stuffed with copper mesh rolled tight.
This is especially useful for whiskey and rum where tails and rum oils need collected and recycled
This yields me around a litre of really good 2nd run hearts every 30l strip because I add tails to each beer strip. This tight hearts cut is my essence for the next VM refluxed product which I hope will be cleaner heart ethanol above my present 92%
When hearts are gathered from reflux the remaining ale is transferred hot to the potstill where feints are stripped, kept for next wash
Casper

Postby Swedish Pride » Wed May 03, 2017 2:55 am

Casper wrote:A thumper on a reflux column?? On this forum my brain gets pushed beyond its wee horizons.
(BTW I am still trying to negotiate that Polish speaking site, they sell SPP cheap too, as well as enzymes!)

Was asking about on a rikus forum about them SPP, apparently they are not the best ones out there.

they advicate the use of this lad

http://pracowniametaloplastyczna.pl/en/my-spp
25€ per kilo + packing
Swedish Pride

Postby Casper » Wed May 03, 2017 7:12 am

Great job. For a 3" Dad seems to recommend 50% bigger again, 0.1 of dia.

Leaks fixed with Pte tape, 50l 33% rum wines thru last night, great success. Not sure yet why but that extra bottom section seems to have transformed my rig.
So I have 3" SS ccvm with an ungated T and csst cooling coils. Packing is 18mm basalt beach pebbles, about 33" depth. Reducer at bottom into a foot of 2" copper packed with copper mesh roll.
Full power is 2.8kw gas turkey burner. I can hear a steady roar as the flooding rises to around half way.
TO is a steady 93.5% and 6litres an hour. Suppression is good, 300ml foreshots and 20l hearts. Last few will go back into feints jar. Tastes clean and I am getting the changes each litre from dry to fruity to vanilla then spicy.

Can't work out yet why this is so much better than my last run with good corn wines. Not sure if I can run those again with my next brew, or to just throw into my neutrals feints and treat as vodka/gin.

I think the first thing is having fixed leaks it was possible to partially flood my column.
I have no logic for adding a foot of mesh below the pebbles but it seems to have allowed the colum to act as that thumper you advocated
Casper

Previous

Return to Packed Columns