• Advertisement

Testing the SPP

These usually have the means for returning the spirits to the column and usually allow metering of the take off to help in the reflux.

Re: Testing the SPP

Postby Tuner » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:07 pm

minime wrote:I gave up on 4" columns for neutral and rum.:

Can I ask why - what was your setup? Power used?
Cheers
Tuner
Tuner

Postby minime » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:02 pm

I use one of these https://www.ebay.ca/itm/GM1312-Digital- ... SwsXFZGnzO

with these probes

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/K-Type-Thermoco ... 1438.l2649

Temperature in not relevant as they are NOT accurate but they are consistent :8)

Stabilize and use the temperature fluctuations as your guide. Temperature can be measured to 2 decimals but I only use with one decimal.

BTW these are auto off tools (shutdown after about 10 minutes or so. Press power and hold buttons together to defeat the function.

My 4 inch column started life with 60 inches of packing..........couldn't go any faster than my 3 inch with 40" :roll:
I have a 6kw element in my can.
Never save the best for last!
minime

Equipment type: VM enthusiast.

Postby Tuner » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:04 pm

Scorcia or lava rock as well, as stainless steel wool has been suggested a better/cheaper alternative to Spiral Prismatic Packing (SPP). But these materials are all over the map on size an shape. The question is that I’ve read on another forum is that to obtain the best reflux and production, your packing is to be a constant size and shape and ratio, to size of column (Rule of Thumb has been 1/10th - 1/12th). So keeping SPP within 5% shape and size will this increase product quality and performance, any feedback on this?
Cheers
Tuner

Postby minime » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:22 pm

I can't say anything about scoria, haven't tried it but I'm sceptical. The only random packing that does as good a job as SPP is Pro-pak if you can afford it.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Spiral-Prismatic ... 1438.l2649

this is the SPP I'm running in my 3 inch column, about 6 weeks for delivery from Poland :doh: but worth the wait
Never save the best for last!
minime

Equipment type: VM enthusiast.

Postby thepatchworkdoll » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:15 am

Thats the same SPP that Ive got. Its good stuff never had an issue with it. If you can afford the time it takes to get to you then I would advise anyone who is thinking about it to get it.
Regards
Patch
thepatchworkdoll

Equipment type: 1500 x 54 coppper column packed with SPP, VM Proportional Splitting Head on 50 ltr keg. 4 plate 4" Bubble Cap on 50 ltr keg. 2" Standard Pot Still on 50 ltr keg.

Postby Y1969 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:31 am

A very important question when using SPP. I advise you to pay special attention to the degreasing of SPP. In the production of wire from which SPP is made, lubricants are used based on natural soap, graphite and oleic acid. It is believed that it is sufficient to rinse the SPP first with gasoline (or another solvent) and then with a dishwashing detergent, after which the SPP becomes clean. This is completely wrong. In this way, it is not possible to remove the microscopic remains of the lubricant. Grease greatly reduces wettability. I conducted many tests and came to the following conclusions. The best way to remove all organic contaminants is carbonization in an inert gas. I buried the SPP in a stainless cylinder, fed it a small stream of argon (welding) and heated this cylinder in a muffle furnace. 750-800 celsius. The result is excellent. The second, less effective way. Boil SPP in a solution for industrial degreasing. This composition includes calcined soda, sodium silicates, tripolyphosphates and surfactants. This method is good for its harmlessness and availability. You can speed up the process if you spend it in an ultrasonic bath. I did not notice a strong difference. Enough boiling. There are myths that it is possible to treat SPP in acids with the addition of hydrogen peroxide. This allows to remove the dirt together with the metal layer. Bad way. It does not allow the removal of oleic acid residues from the nano capillaries of the metal. I found that a carefully cleaned SPP has a 25-35 percent lower theoretical plate height. 35 is the carbonization. 25 are aggressive alkaline solutions.
Y1969

Equipment type: packed column

Previous

Return to Packed Columns