• Advertisement

All Stainless Tri-Clamp 3" VM Still

These usually have the means for returning the spirits to the column and usually allow metering of the take off to help in the reflux.

All Stainless Tri-Clamp 3" VM Still

Postby NineInchNails » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:02 pm

I was going to wait to post this til after a cleaning run and the first sugar wash, but I couldn't wait :!:

I lucked out and someone gave me 17' of 3" SS sanitary pipe for FREE! It's been a long time in the planning, but a buddy just finished cutting my pipe, welding the ferrules and my parts. I just have a few details to work out and it should be up & runnin very soon.

Here's the 7.75 gal pony keg for the VM still and a 15.5 gal keg for stripping. Both have been plasma cut and a 6" ferrule welded to them.

Here's the 6" to 3" Tri-Clamp adapter installed that was made from a 6" cap and a 3" ferrule:

The column is 5’ tall. It has a 12" segment (packed with copper mesh), a 17" segment (packed with copper mesh) and a 33" segment (packed with SS scrubbers).

On top of the 12” and the 17” segment of column will be a copper & 100% silicone centering collar like shown below:

I still need to order the burner. I’ll be using a Banjo Bayou burner with an adjustable psi regulator. I'll likely attach this burner to one leg of the burner base.
NineInchNails

Equipment type: .
3" Stainless VM (5' column)
3" Stainless Pot Still

Re: All Stainless Tri-Clamp 3" VM Still

Postby NineInchNails » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:10 pm

Here's the plans. I have different combinations of fittings I can use after the 1" SS gate valve. I have a 90 elbow and two 45s. I'm not sure which combo I'll go with, but I'm sure I'll play around with them.
Attachments
FINAL FINAL.jpg
FINAL FINAL.jpg (285.94 KiB) Viewed 28583 times
NineInchNails

3" Stainless Pot Still

Postby acfixer69 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:26 pm

Yo 9"nails
I want thou's 6" holes. :mg: Beautiful set up. Hope to here some good stuff about your yields. I need a kick in the ass to cut the big holes in my kegs.
AC
My 4" column build
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=4800
acfixer69

Equipment type: Small pot still
4" modular bubble plate
15.5 gal keg with 2 45Kw elements /50 amp phase angle controller

Postby minime » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:33 pm

Now that is one of the prettiest things I've ever seen! WOW
Never save the best for last!
minime

Equipment type: VM enthusiast.

Postby NineInchNails » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:17 am

:lol: No it's not my kitchen. It's in my garage. That's gonna be my stillin area. It was a lot of work to put that sink & counter there. I had to tear up the back yard pretty bad to run a water line in and a drain out.

Bustin out the concrete:

Water & drain:

Propane just in case:

Framed & sheathed:

Cabinet doors, hinges & trim. Yes I cut out holes for the cabinet doors too :D :

My wife found a piece of granite for $100 so that's what got me started on this.

NineInchNails

3" Stainless Pot Still

Postby NineInchNails » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:24 am

acfixer69 wrote:Yo 9"nails
I want thou's 6" holes. :mg: Beautiful set up. Hope to here some good stuff about your yields. I need a kick in the ass to cut the big holes in my kegs.
AC

Thanks! Those holes were actually pretty easy to do. There's a hundred different ways to cut the top of a keg off, but I had accest to a plasma cutter. Just don't forget to put a lot of water in the keg first if you use a plasma cutter. I didn't know this the first time and ended up with a lot of splatter to needs to be grinded off the interior walls & bottom.

After centering the 6" ferrule I traced the interior and exterior of it. The red line indicates where I will cut:

Here's the keg after it was cut. It's easier to grind the hole larger than to put material back. Same with the 6" cap, just plasma cut & small air driven grinder.

NineInchNails

3" Stainless Pot Still

Postby Mud » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:31 am

This fuckin' guy has a granite countertop in his spare kitchen in his dedicated distilling area. Sheesh. :roll:

Just kidding. It's very nice. Glad to hear you cut holes for the doors. I missed that at first and was about to ask. :)
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby NineInchNails » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:43 am

minime wrote:Now that is one of the prettiest things I've ever seen! WOW

Thanks minime! Also thanks again for all the help you've given me.

I'll probably try to shine up the keg & column some day, but I still have some work to do on this thing before I can get her up & runnin. Still gotta get a thermometer installed on the vapor take-off, centering collars installed and the burner.
NineInchNails

3" Stainless Pot Still

Postby NineInchNails » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:50 am

Mud wrote:This fuckin' guy has a granite countertop in his spare kitchen in his dedicated distilling area. Sheesh. :roll:

Just kidding. It's very nice. Glad to hear you cut holes for the doors. I missed that at first and was about to ask. :)

I accidently posted that (about the counter) here. I meant to post it in my other pot still thread. Yeah my wife has been giving me shit about that for a while :roflmao: She tried real hard to get me to make an island in the kitchen with that granite instead of a counter for my stillin area :screwy: She has her priorities all screwed up :D
NineInchNails

3" Stainless Pot Still

Postby NineInchNails » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:04 am

I made this jig to wind the reflux coil.

I filled 5/16" copper tubing with table salt before winding the coil. I also used a tube bender spring just out of precaution.

I then drilled 3 holes in a 3" Tri-Clamp end cap. I tapped 1/4" threads in 2 of the holes for SS compression fittings. The center hole is just the vent.

NineInchNails

3" Stainless Pot Still

Postby vb » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:48 am

don't you think you'll have a hard time reading the thermometer?
See You Next Tuesday.
vb

Equipment type: yes, and lots of it

Postby punkin » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:37 pm

acfixer69 wrote:Yo 9"nails
AC

PM me you're address, i'll send you as many 6" holes as you want for say.... $40 a piece? :wink:

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby NineInchNails » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:11 pm

Violentblue wrote:don't you think you'll have a hard time reading the thermometer?

Only the way it is positioned in the drawing. The Tri-Clamp concentric reducer can spin 360° so the thermometer can be facing any direction.

I haven't decided which type of thermometer to use, one with a 3" dial or a digital therm with a probe.
NineInchNails

3" Stainless Pot Still

Postby vb » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:34 pm

digital will be easier to use
See You Next Tuesday.
vb

Equipment type: yes, and lots of it

Postby kiwi-lembic » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:12 pm

Very Nice mate ..love the purpose built shed ,when you say sanitary fittings which application they used for those big 6 inchers and thier tri clamps for or are they actual keg connections from that canadian site ?
i been chasin that avenue this week but in copper/or bronze ... found a 4 " from a hydralic ram fitting off a tip truck
man who cannot smile shouldnt open shop
kiwi-lembic

Equipment type: N.Z style, Alembic ,Bok and Copper Boilers ,4 models in building stage

Next

Return to Packed Columns