• Advertisement

Testing the SPP

These usually have the means for returning the spirits to the column and usually allow metering of the take off to help in the reflux.

Re: Testing the SPP

Postby manu de hanoi » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:18 am

plipek told me in MP he meant 1.6cm instead of 1.6 mm HETP
manu de hanoi

Equipment type: http://www.stainlessstuff.net

Postby FullySilenced » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:20 am

I knew he had typed and error .... i looked at his website..

FS
FullySilenced

Postby Swedish Pride » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:22 am

still claims to be better by a good bit compared to Rikus results.
I too would be able to do some testing
Swedish Pride

Postby manu de hanoi » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:47 pm

FullySilenced wrote:I knew he had typed and error .... i looked at his website..

FS

the error is on the website too....
on the english page the HETP is 1.6mm and 20 mm on the polish page
manu de hanoi

Equipment type: http://www.stainlessstuff.net

Postby rkr » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:42 pm

Swedish Pride wrote:still claims to be better by a good bit compared to Rikus results.
I too would be able to do some testing

It should be possible to get lower Hetp values if everything is carefully tuned to optimum values. In my case I did a practical comparison to scrubbers using parameters that normal distiller can easily achieve and that work with scrubbers as well. Add a power controller and some experimentation with vapor speeds and 20mm might well be possible.

Slainte, Riku
"Designing and building automatic stills" -> http://www.amphora-society.com
rkr

Equipment type: You name it, I've built it. Well, almost all of them.

Postby Odin » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:42 pm

I find the overall design of the column has an impact on spp's performance. If you - say - create a bottle neck near the top of the column, amazingly, it has an influence on how fast reflux can drain back down, potentially creating column flooding.

If all bottle necks are dealt with, this drainage is not an issue anymore and you can just boost the power to create better results (if purity is your thing). More power equals more gases equals more reflux equals a bigger reflux bath equals more redistillations. As long as that liquid bath can drain backwards to the boiler.

On a side note, I designed a new packing, that I call helicon column packing. HCP. Not selling it online though. Not offline either! But it has better draining capabilities. And hence allows for better performance. We make it in 10 mm and 15 mm sizes. All are 90% open. Quite heavy for run stability (no swings in output/purity). And especially: no etching. Etching dates back to the surface area evaporation theory. Good in low power input columns (like 600 to 800 W for a 2 inch diameter), but not the right theorem for a high performance column (2.5 to 3.5 kW for a 2 inch diameter packed column).

In high performance circumstances, etching holds liquid and hampers reflux drainage, causing the flooding, and deteriorating overall performance of the packing and the column.

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
My Blog on distilling: http://istillblog.wordpress.com/
My Site on distilling: http://www.istill.eu/
Odin

Equipment type: iStill 50, VISION, 250, ...

Postby minime » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:52 pm

Odin wrote:In high performance circumstances, etching holds liquid and hampers reflux drainage, causing the flooding, and deteriorating overall performance of the packing and the column

Column flooded is exactly how I run my SPP filled column Odin. I want to hear it 'just starting to gurgle'. That's the sweet spot for purity and speed. ;)
Never save the best for last!
minime

Equipment type: VM enthusiast.

Postby punkin » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:26 pm

Put your ear to the top of the column and it sounds like a train coming, oh yeah!

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Odin » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:41 am

minime wrote:
Odin wrote:In high performance circumstances, etching holds liquid and hampers reflux drainage, causing the flooding, and deteriorating overall performance of the packing and the column

Column flooded is exactly how I run my SPP filled column Odin. I want to hear it 'just starting to gurgle'. That's the sweet spot for purity and speed. ;)

Amen!
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
My Blog on distilling: http://istillblog.wordpress.com/
My Site on distilling: http://www.istill.eu/
Odin

Equipment type: iStill 50, VISION, 250, ...

Postby Swedish Pride » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:53 pm

punkin wrote:Put your ear to the top of the column and it sounds like a train coming, oh yeah!

sounds like a good way to burn your ear off :shock:
Swedish Pride

Postby rockchucker22 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:47 pm

Swedish Pride wrote:
punkin wrote:Put your ear to the top of the column and it sounds like a train coming, oh yeah!

sounds like a good way to burn your ear off :shock:
:roflmao:
dancing on wire both ends are on fire
rockchucker22

Postby Tuner » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:03 pm

Odin wrote:helicon column packing - 10 mm and 15 mm sizes.

For a 4" column would you use 10mm (ratio 1/10 to 1/12)? If so how long? I read someplace that you wind not at 90 degrees but off set at 80 degrees (helicon column packing)?

What diameter (range) of column are you using the 15mm?
Cheers
Tuner
Tuner

Postby Tuner » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:17 pm

Odin wrote:I find the overall design of the column has an impact on spp's performance.

Can one use 4" Sight Glass Tee's filled with SPP's, as observation ports? Or does straight walled Spools/ pipes get the best performance and the Tee's give to much turbulence to be effective]?

Cheers
Tuner
Attachments
Tee 4in.JPG
Stainless Steel Tee
Tuner

Postby minime » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:29 pm

I gave up on 4" columns for neutral and rum. I could achieve the same results with a packed 3" column as I could with a 4 incher. I think if you were willing to extend the length of a 4 inch column to 8 feet or so you could likely come out ahead but who has that kind of head space? Especially in Canada. As to using a sight glass tee, there's really nothing to see. You'd get much better information with extra temperature probes. I use two temp probes, one top and one bottom. (close to the bottom) The bottom one tells you when to slow the collection rate down. The top one tells you if you're making the grade....... :wink:
Never save the best for last!
minime

Equipment type: VM enthusiast.

Postby Tuner » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:05 pm

minime wrote: use two temp probes, one top and one bottom. (close to the bottom) The bottom one tells you when to slow the collection rate down. The top one tells you if you're making the grade

Thanks for the info, do you have a Run that you could share giving the TEMP lower and upper?

Cheers
Tuner
Tuner

PreviousNext

Return to Packed Columns