• Advertisement

G'day from Vic, Australia

Here is the place to say hello to our newest member.
Forum rules
All new users are confined to this section. In order to be promoted out of the Novice and into the regular Distiller, you have to demonstrate maturity, a certain level of distilling and fermenting knowledge. You must also prove that you are helpful to others and not have a propensity toward bad attitude.
You will be promoted out of this section once the demonstration is complete. I hope these goals are enough to allow you to grow out of the Novice Distillers.
If any of your first twenty-five posts is a link to another site or an advertisement of any kind you will be considered a spammer. The account will be deleted and all posts removed. Your IP address, e-mail address and user name will reported to http://www.StopForumSpam.com

G'day from Vic, Australia

Postby knot_gillty » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:20 am

G'day all, thought I'd call through and say hi. I do a bit of brewing mead at the moment and as yet haven't done any distilling. Been looking for some threads on how to make a still and this forum popped up so, here I am looking to learn. Got a mate who does a bit of distilling so I'll learn a little from him also. We got many Aussie moonshiners here??

Cheers
knot_gillty

Re: G'day from Vic, Australia

Postby Pikey » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:11 am

Hi and welcome in - I'm not Aussi - uk - but I'm sure we do have Aussis here in abundance :)
Pikey

Postby S-Cackalacky » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:52 am

Welcome in. You'll find some good build threads among the topics here. If you decide to go with a commercially made still, also good advice on sourses for those as well.

Good luck to you and stay safe.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Pa_bon » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:42 am

welcome
Overhead the albatross
Hangs motionless upon the air
And deep beneath the rolling waves
In labyrinths of coral caves
An echo of a distant time
Comes willowing across the sand
And everything is green and submarine

Pink Floyd
Pa_bon

Postby Tracker » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:51 am

Welcome Knot_guilty, obviously another one of us convicts and yes, there are a few of us here.
Look, listen and learn because there is plenty of info on this site, the natives also are friendly as long as you don't kick sand in their face.
There is no such thing as a silly or stupid question, as long as you have done a bit of research to help yourself first.
Just sit back, soak up the atmosphere and when you get comfortable, throw us a question and we will do out best to set you on the right path.

Cheers
Tracker

Equipment type: 50 litre keg, SD 2" to 4" torpedo with 2 bubble plates, Dephlegmator, Pot still arm, copper SPP and condenser.(Tracker Stacker Flavour Packer)
Various pot still/thumper configurations.
Bok 2" slant plate for neutral and cleaning up mistakes.

Postby punkin » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:30 pm

Howdy pardner.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Pikey » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:08 pm

What sort of spirit do you want to make ? Whiskey (ish) [pot still] or Vodka (ish) ? [reflux]

Hint - Pot still is easier :)
Pikey

Postby knot_gillty » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:31 pm

Pikey wrote:What sort of spirit do you want to make ? Whiskey (ish) [pot still] or Vodka (ish) ? [reflux]

I'd be looking at doing mainly whiskey. To be honest, I really don't care what I make as long as it tastes nice. Quite a few friends drink vodka so would also look at doing that.

The commercial stills I've looked at (and it's not that many..) are the Clawhammer Supply ones. I also took a look at the Still Dragon but they're out of my price range... See how I go, if I enjoy distilling and if I can make something worthy of swilling!!

Cheers
knot_gillty

Postby punkin » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:51 pm

knot_gillty wrote:
Pikey wrote:What sort of spirit do you want to make ? Whiskey (ish) [pot still] or Vodka (ish) ? [reflux]

I'd be looking at doing mainly whiskey. To be honest, I really don't care what I make as long as it tastes nice. Quite a few friends drink vodka so would also look at doing that.

The commercial stills I've looked at (and it's not that many..) are the Clawhammer Supply ones. I also took a look at the Still Dragon but they're out of my price range... See how I go, if I enjoy distilling and if I can make something worthy of swilling!!

Cheers

Surely my pot stills are within your price range? Perfect for whiskey and flavoured vodkas are ok potstilled.

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby knot_gillty » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:36 am

punkin wrote:
knot_gillty wrote:

Cheers

Surely my pot stills are within your price range? Perfect for whiskey and flavoured vodkas are ok potstilled.

The problem I have is if I see you have a 50l but also a 100l I'd want the 100l... But then I see you have one a little bigger I'd want that... therein lies my problem! Haha. I only had a quick look through your site the other night, I'll take a longer look tonight. You have some bloody awesome looking gear mate, very impressive! If only I had a spare $48k laying around i'd snap up that double dragon...
knot_gillty

Postby Tracker » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:37 am

I have some Still Dragon gear and cannot fault either the components or the service.
The advantage is that you can start small with just the basic pot still head attached to a 50 litre keg. Forget about the large volume boilers until you have a lottery win, then all bets are off.
Everything after that is all adaptable, that is, you can add bubble plates, sight glasses, dephlags, larger kettles or whatever your imagination can dream up but the main advantage is that what you started with is never wasted and will continue to be utilised with future developements.
Just don't try and go the maximum dream straight up. You have to have something to practice with first so just go basic for a start then add whatever components, as you can afford them and as your experience develops.

Cheers.
Tracker

Equipment type: 50 litre keg, SD 2" to 4" torpedo with 2 bubble plates, Dephlegmator, Pot still arm, copper SPP and condenser.(Tracker Stacker Flavour Packer)
Various pot still/thumper configurations.
Bok 2" slant plate for neutral and cleaning up mistakes.

Postby punkin » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:24 pm

No worries Knot. You can also use a 50l beer keg and build a pot still from some copper pipe very cheaply. It's how most of us started.

punkin

Postby knot_gillty » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:18 pm

punkin wrote:No worries Knot. You can also use a 50l beer keg and build a pot still from some copper pipe very cheaply. It's how most of us started.

Yeah this is what I've been researching punkin. I saw your keg still on the dragon site, I like that. If I can get my hands on keg you may hear from me. I love attempting to build shit myself but perhaps I can just start out here by buying something from someone that knows what they're doing... haha. Cheers for your help.

Gilly
knot_gillty

Postby Azframer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:08 pm

I'd be looking at what you want and make a parts list, out of that parts list make you a still that will get you by and run that til the pocket book fills up. Or buy the rest in lumps you can afford.
Friends call me Rick
Drank all night and I am still thirsty!
But I don't feel like I got to much blood in my alcyhol.
Azframer

Equipment type: 5 Gallon Pot Still, Dash1

Postby punkin » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:32 pm

There is a full kit for sale second hand atm on the stilldragon.org forum in Adelaide. Everything you need including the yeast.
Guy getting out of the game.

punkin

Next

Return to Welcome New User