• Advertisement

Odin chiming in!

Here is the place to say hello to our newest member.
Forum rules
All new users are confined to this section. In order to be promoted out of the Novice and into the regular Distiller, you have to demonstrate maturity, a certain level of distilling and fermenting knowledge. You must also prove that you are helpful to others and not have a propensity toward bad attitude.
You will be promoted out of this section once the demonstration is complete. I hope these goals are enough to allow you to grow out of the Novice Distillers.
If any of your first twenty-five posts is a link to another site or an advertisement of any kind you will be considered a spammer. The account will be deleted and all posts removed. Your IP address, e-mail address and user name will reported to http://www.StopForumSpam.com

Odin chiming in!

Postby Odin » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:22 pm

Hello there!

How are you all doing? Not sure if I need any introduction, but at the same time I feel I do. Especially, since I haven't been around for like 3 1/2 years. Well, not on this forum that is!

Not exactly sure why I stayed away for so long. But maybe my (too) busy schedule had something to do with it? If you remember me, it is probably because I am that guy behind some gin postings, cornflakes whiskey, rye bread whiskey and/or iStill.

Yes, iStill is my company. Not aiming at the home distiller, so I guess it is okay to talk about it a little bit. If not, Pumpin, please reach out.

Yep, been quite busy the last 3 1/2 years. Further establishing my company as the lead constructor in craft distilling equipment. Proud to say we have build-up 200 distilleries in 2017. And that we are planning to do around 300 in 2018. But there is more. I felt that our approach to distilling, with automation, robotization, new innovations (at least to the craft distilling industry) needed professional support as in training, help with recipe development, and even dedicated contract distilleries to help craft distillers out. Happy to report we now train around 200 to 300 people a year (close correlation to the number of distilleries we help set-up).

Recipe development ... I have designed an interesting approach to how to design drinks. Taste intensity, where it can be found, how you can detect it and amend it, and more. If that's interesting, let me know, so I can elaborate.

On a product development stance ... I just start working on a 100% roasted buckwheat recipe. Both all grain and sugar head. If all is fine, I'll probably open up a new thread on that.

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
My Blog on distilling: http://istillblog.wordpress.com/
My Site on distilling: http://www.istill.eu/
Odin

Equipment type: iStill 50, VISION, 250, ...

Re: Odin chiming in!

Postby Buddy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:36 pm

Buckwheat sounds like an interesting :idea:
Mama told me to never drink unless I was alone or with somebody.
"It's only for medicinal porpoises."
Buddy

Equipment type: 8 Gallon Hybrid Stainless

Postby just sayin' » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:36 pm

Good to see you back, Odin. Buckwheat sounds interesting, I hope it proves worth your time.
just sayin'

Postby Kareltje » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:23 pm

Nice to see you here too!
Kareltje

Postby S-Cackalacky » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:27 am

Will we be seeing anything new in the iStill line - perhaps an oval or parallelogram shaped boiler?
S-Cackalacky

Postby dutchmancreek » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:12 pm

I’m kind of interested in the buckwheat project. Buckwheat is big around here (even have a buckwheat festival). A local distillery produces what they call buckwheat moonshine and a buckwheat Whiskey. I’ve tried both and didn’t care for them.
(Buckwheat is a seed, not a grain....does that mean it shouldn’t be called a whiskey?)

I would like to give it a try myself one day. I’ll look forward to your thread.
(Designated as ne'er do well)

"we deal in lead, friend"

Whiskey River take my mind

----------------------------
dutchmancreek

Postby just sayin' » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:56 pm

Researching I discovered Heston Farm's Pinchgut Hollow Distillery in Fairmont, WV makes buckwheat whiskey. I was within twenty miles of them a couple of times in the past two week. I am going to have to stop by for a wee taste. They claim it is based on a family recipe from the prohibition, but then it seems almost all new distilleries have some kind of family "legend".
just sayin'

Postby dutchmancreek » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:52 am

Heston Farms was what I was referring to above. They make a buckwheat moonshine and a buckwheat whiskey, that I don’t care for at all. At one time they made a pretty good rye, if I remember correctly.

They also make a ramp (wild garlic) flavored “moonshine”, and one flavored with rhubarb, if you can believe it.

Even so, Heston Farms is a nice place to visit...distillery, winery, and a very nice restaurant.
(Designated as ne'er do well)

"we deal in lead, friend"

Whiskey River take my mind

----------------------------
dutchmancreek

Postby Still Life » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:47 am

I caught your buckwheat recipe (elsewhere) and it looks inviting.
"I said nothing, but the whiskey sure was mouthing off."
Still Life

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:44 am

Hey, Odin! Good to see your out-sized chin here again. I hear bits and dabs about what you're doing from other sources, but it's nice to hear what you're doing directly. Don't be a stranger.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby ZeroGee » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:52 pm

Glad to see you back, Odin! Been kind of lost in the weeds myself, come to think of it...
Age, in and of itself, does not confer wisdom.
Instead, it provides a list of mistakes you hope, profoundly, never to repeat.
ZeroGee

Equipment type: Stone & Nixon all copper 2" offset valve-head LM reflux column with a 60L SS electric boiler.

Postby Tdick » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:05 pm

Odin wrote:Hello there!
How are you all doing? Not sure if I need any introduction, but at the same time I feel I do. Especially, since I haven't been around for like 3 1/2 years. Well, not on this forum that is!
On a product development stance ... I just start working on a 100% roasted buckwheat recipe. Both all grain and sugar head. If all is fine, I'll probably open up a new thread on that.

Regards, Odin.

Greetings Odin!
I could NOT help it!

I haven't been myself lately!
Of course it was the first thing I thought of and yes it is exactly like myself .
Buckwheat Gin.png
Buckwheat Gin.png (144.47 KiB) Viewed 1369 times

Cheers!
:D
Tdick

Equipment type: Copper 5 gallon pot still with thumper & worm.

Postby zapata » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:33 am

dutchmancreek wrote:They also make a ramp (wild garlic) flavored “moonshine”, and one flavored with rhubarb, if you can believe it.

Rhubarb I can believe, but ramps?!?! I became enchanted by ramps one day on a camping trip up in those parts. Was later kicked out of my own tent!
:roflmao:
zapata

Return to Welcome New User