• Advertisement

Glad to be back

Here is the place to say hello to our newest member.
Forum rules
All new users are confined to this section. In order to be promoted out of the Novice and into the regular Distiller, you have to demonstrate maturity, a certain level of distilling and fermenting knowledge. You must also prove that you are helpful to others and not have a propensity toward bad attitude.
You will be promoted out of this section once the demonstration is complete. I hope these goals are enough to allow you to grow out of the Novice Distillers.
If any of your first twenty-five posts is a link to another site or an advertisement of any kind you will be considered a spammer. The account will be deleted and all posts removed. Your IP address, e-mail address and user name will reported to http://www.StopForumSpam.com

Glad to be back

Postby firewater69 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:32 pm

Hey folks, I registered back in 2014, I have been distilling ever since, but didn't spend much time here. I'd like to change that now, I recognize several of you folks from another site I hope to share my knowledge and experience with others and be helpful to this forum. I currently have 2 setups a LM and a CM, the CM is my fav as I make mostly whiskey and rum I could make them with either of course but I prefer the CM. I have a 150qt cooler/ mash tun and 2 keg cookers with gear drive mash paddles and am currently working on a plated rig.
firewater69

Equipment type: 2.0" LM and a 2.0" CM with external RC coil. 1 keg boiler all electric, and a 20 gallon boiler ran on propane or electric.

Re: Glad to be back

Postby punkin » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:07 pm

Welcome. You should have an idea of what we are about if you've been lurking for 4 years, so have access.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby firewater69 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:30 pm

Thanks Punkin!
firewater69

Equipment type: 2.0" LM and a 2.0" CM with external RC coil. 1 keg boiler all electric, and a 20 gallon boiler ran on propane or electric.

Postby just sayin' » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:00 pm

Good to see you here, Firewater! Enjoy!

I would love to see some close ups and details on your mash tun filter/screen when you get a chance. Nice, if I remember right!
just sayin'

Postby firewater69 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:58 pm

Thanks for the welcome, I'd be more than happy to post up some pics of the mash tun and answer any questions. I'll do that asap.
firewater69

Postby Suzukidave » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:45 pm

Are your gear drive mash paddles something you made your self ? I was planning a stirrer for my setup and was interested in someone's build :)
Suzukidave

Postby firewater69 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:52 pm

Yes, I got the motors where I work, they no longer used them and were going to throw them away, I just built a mount to set on the keg and made the s.s. paddle and adapter to connect it to the motor. These motors are quite expensive so had I not found them I would have opted for a drill motor or the like, several folks have done similar.
firewater69

Postby Blackstrap » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:44 am

It's good to have you here Firewater. :rkn: ..as inventive as you are, I'm hoping you are able to post more descriptive pictures, I have am intrigued, with your mash tun pics and with your mash stirrer you posted on one of my earlier posts.

:offtopic: I personally use what I have around, I'm fortunate enough to have a very understanding wife, who doesn't object to the hobby, but encourages me to build rather than purchase. I try to show her the same respect but keeping things in budget...Haha sometimes it just takes a little more time and thought on a project. I've had some hobby related projects that didn't turn out as expected, I can't call them failures, because I'm still around to learn from them.

I'm excited to read and view more of your ideas, and thoughts! I love the way you approach a challenge :idea:

Thank You, folks like you encourage me!
Blackstrap
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."—Oscar Wilde
Blackstrap

Equipment type: 15 gallon 3 vessel 2 tier HERMs Brew System

15 gallon Keggle Pot Type still with 3 foot partial column added thumper and 1inch over 1/2 inch liebig condenser 40" long. 70 gallon cooler reservoir, aquarium pump plumbed with 1/2 inch cooling lines.

Postby firewater69 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:53 pm

I'm glad to be part of this forum, and thanks for the kind words Blackstrap. I grew up on a dairy farm and if something broke we usually fixed it with what we had around due to cost. I really enjoy building things and working with my hands. I recently built a custom burner for one of my boilers, it's made from a keg spear and designed to clear the bottom drain, maybe I should post up some info on that.
firewater69

Return to Welcome New User